Should I upgrade from my VZW GN2 4.1.2 to Kitkat?

MP5_ForTheWin

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys I have been lurking for awhile here. Has anyone else upgraded from 4.1.2 on their Note 2 to the new Kitkat? My phone was replaced a couple months ago and the replacement came with 4.1.2 I did not do the upgrade 4.3 due to the horrible battery problems I had with my earlier N2 and the 4.3 upgrade. I keep reading people are saying their battery life is better with KitKat but I can't seem to tell if that is relative to 4.3 or to the original 4.1.2?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, especially since this is generally a oneway upgrade unless I root/rom... (And I'm getting too old for that... :) )

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You're on 4.1.2?

Keep it, unlock the bootloader, put on a custom recovery, sell it.

You can do that but if you wanted to update your phone to kitkat I would recommend it. My phone is snappier and battery life seems to be the same as I had before, and it was excellent before the update. But i would read around and see what peoples impressions are on the update as it varies from phone to phone. From me, I have had great luck *Knock on wood* with the updates on the note 2. Wifi is more stable and locking on with GPS is much faster. Hope this helps.:)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You can do that but if you wanted to update your phone to kitkat I would recommend it. My phone is snappier and battery life seems to be the same as I had before, and it was excellent before the update. But i would read around and see what peoples impressions are on the update as it varies from phone to phone. From me, I have had great luck *Knock on wood* with the updates on the note 2. Wifi is more stable and locking on with GPS is much faster. Hope this helps.:)

My recommendation is based on how many people would love to have their bootloader unlocked. The OP could make a pretty good profit.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is true. If you want to sell your phone then do what pool_shark is saying. That is a great idea, but if you want to keep it, try out kitkat.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what "data" files are not allowed to be saved to SD cards.

There are apps that can write to the sd card. With kit kat those apps have to be coded to ask permission to write to the sd card or they can no longer do it.
Lots of people on kit kat are complaining that many of their apps no longer work as they did.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
There are apps that can write to the sd card. With kit kat those apps have to be coded to ask permission to write to the sd card or they can no longer do it.
Lots of people on kit kat are complaining that many of their apps no longer work as they did.

Ah OK. I thought it was you just couldn't use your SD card anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress