Cannot write to SD card.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
rebooted my phone earlier today and now none of my apps can write to the sd card.
I noticed it when I tried to take a picture. The camera said cannot save to SD card changing directory to internal storage. Having the same issue with other apps.
I can see and access all my files on the sd card I just can't write to it.
Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Posted via My Note 2

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
rebooted my phone earlier today and now none of my apps can write to the sd card.
I noticed it when I tried to take a picture. The camera said cannot save to SD card changing directory to internal storage. Having the same issue with other apps.
I can see and access all my files on the sd card I just can't write to it.
Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Posted via My Note 2
I'm assuming you've updated your OS to KitKat. Unfortunately that's a "feature" of KitKat that wasn't very well communicated to the user community -- you can't save files to the SD card. It makes KitKat a non-starter for me unless I can root the phone (there are apps that can fix this "feature" but require the phone to be rooted).

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you've updated your OS to KitKat. Unfortunately that's a "feature" of KitKat that wasn't very well communicated to the user community -- you can't save files to the SD card. It makes KitKat a non-starter for me unless I can root the phone (there are apps that can fix this "feature" but require the phone to be rooted).

That's not necessarily true. I have kit kat and I have no trouble saving files to the SD card. The issue with KitKat is that you can't copy files manually using a file manager from internal memory to the SD card or manually place a file on the SD card. The photo app should have no issues whatsoever to the DCIM folder on the SD card

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
That's not necessarily true. I have kit kat and I have no trouble saving files to the SD card. The issue with KitKat is that you can't copy files manually using a file manager from internal memory to the SD card or manually place a file on the SD card.

And this is not necessarily true. You can copy files manually, rename them and do any other file manipulation you want to do as long as you use the native file manager that came on the phone. The issue is 3rd party apps (apps not installed on the device by the manufacturer or carrier) don't have the proper rights to manipulate files on the external sd card. The files can however, be viewed and opened with a 3rd party app such as ES File Explorer, just not changed or moved in any way.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This sd card restriction doesn't apply when manipulating the files from a computer either.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I have issues deleting photos with Quickpic that are already on the SD card.

Because it's not a native app from the phone manufacturer or carrier and does not have permission to manipulate files on the external sd card. You'll need to use the built in file manager of the device.

All of this info I have provided is readily available by a quick Google search. :)

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The issue started after a reboot. I noticed the camera said "cannot save pictures to SD. Switching to default storage"
After I formatted my SD card the problem stopped.

Posted via My Note 2

Michigan66

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Download the app folder mount from the play store. Let it do its thing. All fixed. No more read/write issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo