Anyone decide not to get the Verizon GS3 due to it being locked?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I was anxiously waiting for this phone for months, following every bit of news. and eager to finally get decent network speeds with LTE. My only option is CDMA due to bad GSM coverage where I live, and I'm tired of Sprint's slow speeds.

But I refuse to get a phone with a locked bootloader. Putting a custom rom/kernel is almost essential for me. This may get cracked soon, it may not, but it will never be as easy and painless as the other GS3 versions, and will always delay updates.

So I've decided to stick with my Evo 4G and hope for a new Nexus phone. And hopefully VZW will get it on LTE and not lock it down (like the current Nexus).

raw2000j

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone decide not to get the Verizon GS3 due to it being lock

Verizon dont care bout its customers I will never give them a penny dont waste your time.If they dit it to nexus and gs3 next nexus will be the same.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Why can't people just use the phone as it is, without all of the tinkering and custom roms.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I was anxiously waiting for this phone for months, following every bit of news. and eager to finally get decent network speeds with LTE. My only option is CDMA due to bad GSM coverage where I live, and I'm tired of Sprint's slow speeds.

But I refuse to get a phone with a locked bootloader. Putting a custom rom/kernel is almost essential for me. This may get cracked soon, it may not, but it will never be as easy and painless as the other GS3 versions, and will always delay updates.

So I've decided to stick with my Evo 4G and hope for a new Nexus phone. And hopefully VZW will get it on LTE and not lock it down (like the current Nexus).

That will happen when hell freezes over!!
;););)

WillC

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

F

"But I refuse to get a phone with a locked bootloader. Putting a custom rom/kernel is almost essential for me. This may get cracked soon, it may not, but it will never be as easy and painless as the other GS3 versions, and will always delay updates."

At first I was really ticked off about the locked bootloader. Even now I'm not thrilled about it but I can cope. If the bootloader is eventually cracked, great! If not, I can satisfy most of my needs with root. In regards to updates, this is Verizon we're talking about, updates will always be delayed.

"So I've decided to stick with my Evo 4G and hope for a new Nexus phone. And hopefully VZW will get it on LTE and not lock it down (like the current Nexus)."

I could be wrong but my guess is, it WILL be locked down.

I like this phone and I'm patient enough to wait and see how this whole affair plays out. You have to decide what's best for your circumstances. Nothing wrong with that and no matter what your decision I wish you the very best.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Mine gets returned tomorrow because of the bootloader. This is probably my last visit to the S III forums as tomorrow I will be returning to my GN and those forums

R

WillC

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Mine gets returned tomorrow because of the bootloader. This is probably my last visit to the S III forums as tomorrow I will be returning to my GN and those forums

R

Oh man! Hang in there a little bit longer Racedog! :-(