VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Stopped in at Verizon in Fishkill Saturday morning. They are aware of the problem and told me it is a tower programming issue. Have not had issues elsewhere only in the shopping center.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I am not too far from that store and had the SIM issue once a few weeks ago while at home and once not. Since then it has been ok. Really strange.

anon(473434)

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It keeps happening to me kind my downtown Boston apartment. 4g is not an issue here.I always have service. I have already contacted vzw too. My girlfriends gs3 does the same.

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to me here at work. We have lousy coverage here. It fixed itself in a few seconds.

It has only happened once in a decent coverage area to me.

benton07

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm out of my two week trial, it's giving me the no sim error too. It also gets the time zone wrong. I left one star reviews to keep others from making this purchasing mistake; you should leave reviews too. This is not acceptable.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is this just a problem with the Verizon GS3 or is it happening on other carriers also? I looked in the AT&T forum and didn't see any threads about it.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
People who had previous LTE devices on Verizon may remember seeing occasional LTE (and sometimes EvDo eHRPD) network connection drop outs. This can happen even in strong LTE areas. Some people seem to think it is an authentication issue, and since there is no evidence to the contrary, I have to agree.

I wonder if these connection drops have anything to do with the No SIM issue.

Whatever the issue is, it seems like Verizon devices have more software issues than other carriers. I have not heard of this on other Galaxy S3 devices on other carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ripken204

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
this happened to me last night, I went to a concert in a rural area, the phone was working great until I got to the parking lot, then I had no sms/voice, 4G worked great though.
I am assuming we will never receive a fix for this?

I also had "no sim" errors a few times while using CM10, but nothing like last night, my phone was useless the entire time I was there.
Then as I drove away it magically started working again.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
No activity on this thread for a while...has there been a resolution? I've only had my S3 for 2 days, and I've already had this happen a few times. Pretty annoying. Happened once this morning on an incoming call (I was calling myself from another phone to test it), and then tonight having issues sending text messages.

Waited about 10 minutes and it resolved itself, but I paid too much for this device to deal with poor voice/SMS service!

eric hall

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues: no sim, various texts and calls not going through. Just recieved 2nd phone and the problems seem to be worse than before. I am located in Ithaca, NY. Keep getting the run around from both Samsung and Verizon. Samsung claims it is a serivce issue and the verizon rep I spoke with believes it 2 be the same. WTF!?! 14 day just ended!

Any updates coming? Is this an internal antena problem? The phone itself?

I spoke with my local verizon store rep, he is having the same problem. Claims that there is an update next week. Fingers crossed....:eek:

joe_sun

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
After dealing with the "Mute" issue on my Galaxy Nexus today VZW offered to let me get an early upgrade to an S3. After reading this thread I'm thinking I might be better off with the occasional muted call than having to deal with this.

Man I'm super not happy with Verizon right now..

mtenold

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem, and generate it pretty reliably. I think they "overwhelming signal amplitude" theory that has been going around may be correct.

Happens about 1 in every 5 times I'm tethering with WiFi tether on 4G and send a text message. Becomes worse when I'm actively downloading something via tether.

It happened on the stock ROM, it happens on Bean's rooted ROM and Synergy ROM.

k_constant

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S3 since July 9th and have never seen this until today. I was in my office (very reliable and strong 4G signal as I am ~100 yards from a tower) making a call and the call dropped and right after I say the "No SIM" message. I waited a few moments and it corrected itself but when I opened the notification bar I noticed that my Mobile data toggle was off. I turned it back on and have mobile data but the green bar under the text wass not lit up nor were the up and down arrows bright green. They were a darker green color. I restarted my phone and the Mobile data toggle is back to normal color.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to me also this morning for the first time, had my phone since July 10.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

xoom_fan

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is strange, my phone worked fine the first few weeks in July, and now I am having all kinds of similar issues with the "No SIM" message, as well as missed calls even though I used to be able to receive calls 100% of the time before in the same area (good 4G LTE signal).

What is Verizon doing on the network to cause this? Getting ready for the iPhone 5? Implementing VoLTE? In any case we need to take action so that Verizon knows it is disrupting our service.

Should we all call into tech support and report the problem at the same time?

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me again when I got home from work and was calling my wife's cell from the car.

It fixed itself. I I think I am less then a mile from the tower.

Bstinger121

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I live here in Buffalo NY and I just wanted to update you guys on my experience. I just purchased an S3 two days ago and I have been having bad problems with the No Sim error, especially at my work. So I called Verizon Tech Support today, and since I was VERY nice and polite with the woman, she looked through the Verizon technical support forum (she said it was exclusive to Verizon Techs), and she told me that both Verizon and Samsung have recognized the No Sim problem, and they have a "patch-solution" for this problem already done. They are just currently in the process of "deciding when to release the patch." She said that in her best guess it would be released within a maximum of 3 weeks from now. Whether or not she was blowing smoke to me, I don't know, but she did sound very sincere for what it's worth.

cerktman

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I live here in Buffalo NY and I just wanted to update you guys on my experience. I just purchased an S3 two days ago and I have been having bad problems with the No Sim error, especially at my work. So I called Verizon Tech Support today, and since I was VERY nice and polite with the woman, she looked through the Verizon technical support forum (she said it was exclusive to Verizon Techs), and she told me that both Verizon and Samsung have recognized the No Sim problem, and they have a "patch-solution" for this problem already done. They are just currently in the process of "deciding when to release the patch." She said that in her best guess it would be released within a maximum of 3 weeks from now. Whether or not she was blowing smoke to me, I don't know, but she did sound very sincere for what it's worth.

I just talked to Verizon technical support as well. I've been having the "No Sim" error as well. She also mentioned that the software update for this issue was a in "tentative" state, with no information on a release date. Trying a replacement device just for giggles anyhow.

I've done testing to see if I could come across a workaround, but have found none.

Tried no cellular data connection (voice only), voice only plus wifi, voice plus 3G, voice plus 4G and in all cases, I experienced the No Sim error message when sending text messages. Random, but frequent drops. Didn't matter the length of the message or to whom, time of day, on battery/on charger, still the same.

I even downloaded the full current software (I535VRALG1_I535VZWALG1_743127_REV09_user_low_ship) and reloaded via Odin with the same results.

Any Verizon insiders here have information on a release date for this fix?