VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"

gs3 fix

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
To anyone having this issue I live in the fishkill area and finally found the fix. Thanks to some helpfully people in the VzW Forum (NOT THE ACTUAL VZW EMPLOYEE, they kept deleting our fixes). So I'll post here if anyone wants to know. FYI this does not require rooting your phone but does take a few minutes, but so worth it after months of disappointment and useless VzW operators my phone is finally everything the GS3 promised to be. I recommend going to this site
How to install firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Odin? (Video)

to watch the step by step video (again very easy). Just download the ODIN installer and then go here samsung-updates.com and download the latest Jelly Bean update. Again does not root your phone (this came up a lot on the forum). Finally my GS3 works at home reliably.

kraazytamtam21

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing this issue. Ive done the whole 'take out battery and pull out SIM then put them back' in thing... sometimes that fixes it and once it didn't work. I usually just have to wait a while for it to resolve itself. But its really annoying when it happens in the middle of a text conversation.:mad:

Last edited:

sgi_beach

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi kraazy - lots has been said about this but little done - it seems to be a combination of our phones and certain towers that are problematic. The best advice that I found (other than get a different brand of phone which i can't afford to do) is to "pretend" that you are adding an attachment to your message, then hit the back button (like you changed your mind) then hit send. So far this has worked for me every time. In the past it has taken up to 10 attempts to get a text message to "go". I only have this problem at work. Good luck.

ryemann

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got this phone (still in the 14day return period). I got my one and only "no sim" while texting yesterday and while I like the phone, I don't want to put up with this for two years...
As the JB OTA is out there (I haven't recieved it, yet) I was wondering if this may have fixed the issue.
Has anyone had a "no sim" issue after upgrading to Jelly Bean?

Austin Barton

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
same thing with mine. I had the phone for 6 months, and after a reboot it gave me No Sim. They sent a new phone and sim out to me but after just 4 hours the same issue. im supposed to go to the Verizon store today but i feel they will just give me a new sim card. i wish they would just give me a different phone.

cmslick3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I helped a co-worker with a similar issue on his S3 where the SIM error kept popping up.

Turned out that his phone was not getting the OTA's. The fix was to boot into recovery mode and wipe the cache partition, we did not factory wipe. After the phone rebooted we checked for updates and they started showing up. His phone needed 2 updates to get to Jelly Bean.

Yogesh Ugale

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
facing exactly same issue with Galaxy Tab2 310. No SIM issue is blocking very hard. In case of critical needs you just cant use teh phone. Moment you try to dial, the network icon changes to "not available" icon, and "Out of service area" message button is displayed. Exactly after clicking this message button the network icon restores back to earlier "network available" state. This repeats indefinitely. No matter how many times you restart, no matter what hell you do with the phone. This is such a DOS attack somehow. Researching the network provider again and setting to manual selection or automatic, simply doesn't work. This issue is very bad. There is absolutely no idea what is wrong, ISM issue, hardware connections issue, Android OS bug, virus (not reported any tried 2 diff antiviruses), network type or provider issue...there is no clue and no fix.

Daktron

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: No SIM card loop, Waiting on Samsung to update GS3

I had the same problem. I went to the Verizon store. They replaced the SIM card at no cost. That resolved the problem.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My initial GS3 arrived certified like new doing that. Samsung fixed it. Try a new SIM first :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Gotmoxie

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I was getting the message repeatedly over the past week. I finally went and got a new SIM, but that did not correct the issue. Last night I went and got a new phone. Hopefully that corrects the problem.

Purchased my phone at Christmas. Two days ago my phone started getting real hot and quit working. Replacement sent out. It worked 20 mins. New one received this morning and now it doesn't want to recognize the SIM card. What the heck?

Gotmoxie

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I am still at the same place. I don't recall seeing the 4G on the screen. Only the arrows. It says I can bypass the sim screen and use wifi only. I'm new to this and these issues with the device is crap. Very unhappy. So now what?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So now what?
Take it in to a local carrier store and get them to give you a new SIM; if it doesn't work then let THEM figure out how to solve the problem. A suggestion of a brand new replacement wouldn't be out of order...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

danielgulick

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Rebooted, lost the notice and no voice or text. Text came back next day. Locked up the phone with stock software and took it to verizon the next day. Tried new sim card, didn't work. They sent me a used replacement phone with 4.3 and it seems that I cannot load custom recovery. Crap.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87