Pebble Blue back cover

claret

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The back cover on my Verizon 16gb pebble blue is actually charcoal grey. Put alongside a Sprint model and they are not even close to the same color. The Sprint model is actually blue. Anyone same?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any other S3's yet but I've been telling people my phone is more gray than blue since I've gotten it.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I when I went to get mine it looked blue and grey no ppurplele or anything at all but j decided to go with the white

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The back cover on my Verizon 16gb pebble blue is actually charcoal grey. Put alongside a Sprint model and they are not even close to the same color. The Sprint model is actually blue. Anyone same?

Same here. I'm buying a brushed metal battery door anyway but it is interesting how the covers are really different colors. Made in China by the way.

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My nephew got the pebble blue one and my first thought was it was more Grey also.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just came back from a Sprint store to compare the colors and yes the Sprint display models are different than mine. My back cover has zero blue from any angle or light while the sprint ones I compared is easily seen. Again, not a big deal to me because the colors blend fine but it looks like Samsung and Verizon trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I'm guess this is what contributed to all the mixed opinions about what color the pebble blue looks like. Mine is a 32GB made in China by the way.

Last edited:

Josphe72

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Didn't the blue S3 have have some issues with the finish of the phone being inferior hence a delay in initial shipping?

Maybe these grey looking covers were touched up or refinished.

Sent from a Rezound with tapatalk 2

breeze

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the blue back covers are inferior, just a different color. Evidently the way the blue pattern floats in the plastic molding is hard to repeat uniformly across all manufacturing processes (or even the same process). It's more like tie dye. It's almost impossible to get two tie dye products to be identical. If Samsung wanted all blue phones to look identical, then they made a poor choice. I think the value lies in uniqueness of blue, gray, purple variations. Sameness tends to be a bit boring.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the blue back covers are inferior, just a different color. Evidently the way the blue pattern floats in the plastic molding is hard to repeat uniformly across all manufacturing processes (or even the same process). It's more like tie dye. It's almost impossible to get two tie dye products to be identical. If Samsung wanted all blue phones to look identical, then they made a poor choice. I think the value lies in uniqueness of blue, gray, purple variations. Sameness tends to be a bit boring.

I agree with you about quality but disagree about being able to make the color uniform. We're not talking a slightly different blue, talking blue vs charcoal. Very different than just a little discoloration. Also, if this was purposely done then you market the colors accordingly and not all pebble blue. Let's see if the AT&T reds have very clear differences in color. My guess is not. Sure the manufacturing process if hard but that doesn't mean it's expected to have very different colors while marketing otherwise. My guess is what the above user said regarding the production issues with the blue and they basically have a lot of there with this other color but it shouldn't be called pebble blue. Again, this isn't a big deal to me but to just simply pass it off as normal to the manufacturing process and it's expected that blue won't always be blue is a bit silly. One thing for color variation. Another thing for a totally different color.

Last edited: