How do I use AllShare Play?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I was at a family gathering today and my Cousin has a GS3 also, he was telling me about Allshare Play and how he can play videos and put pics on his Samsung Smart TV. I'm trying to put some pics on my TV. I don't have a Samsung TV, but have a Toshiba WiFi Led TV and can't seem to get Allshare Play to Recognize my TV. It only recognizes my S3 and my PC . Doesn't show my Ipad and Doesn't show my WiFi TV. From what I understand from the Samsung Website, you don't need a Samsung TV to do it. Can Someone Walk me through how to do this?

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I got AllShare play working to my google TV. I turned it on on the phone, but then I had to go to the google tv and search for devices and it found it. It didn't work that well, though. I installed Skifta on my phone (Qualcomm's DLNA app) and it worked much better. I had to pick my destination as "unknown device" and then search from my TV again, but with Skifta it showed all my photos (AllShare skipped a ton) and nearly all of them were right side up!

If your TV can see DLNA sources (such as pics on your networked PCs), this should work for you. We were just doing this yesterday showing vacation photos to my inlaws.

Reactions: Andy847

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
DLNA is DLNA... Must use a common WiFi connection. If you have an extender in your house, this may be a problem but mine works just fine. Once both devices are WiFi connected, you should be able to see the other devices that are DLNA compliant and have file sharing on.

Remember, AllShare is Samsung's DLNA skin... all kinds of funky stuff might be an issue. I have not completely tried this on my other DLNA devices (like a Sony BluRay player) but it does easily recognize my Windows 7 PCs, etc.

On another note, I didn't think Apple was DLNA compliant but I might be out of my mind and completely insane. :p

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a $80 bluray player that has wi-fi and dnla support and I know it used to link up with my Evo 3d so any tv or br player with dnla should work fine for viewing pics and video wirelessly.:cool:

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
One thing though - the phone might not see the TV. You might have to search for the the phone from the TV. That was the case for me with my google TV.

Reactions: Andy847

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think I had my tv on the wrong setting, but figured it out. Thanks OWybPPgO, I downloaded the Skifta App and worked fine. I think I will go back and see if it works with AllShare Play, I think I was just using the wrong app on my WiFi tv to play the files. I'm liking the Skifta app though, so appreciate the info on that.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can't get Allshare Play to work on my Tv. I get an Exclamation Point and a note saying No Applicable Media Files. So at least with the Skifta App I can show pics. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to just show the pics I want instead of going through all of them on my SD card. One thing I like about AllShare Play is that you can check the box of the ones you want to send to the tv. Just doesn't work though. Not sure if they have that option on Skifta app.

Rebelvis

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have used my GS3 to stream to my LG Plasma using DLNA so I can tell you it will work. Pictures and music were easy. HD video was pretty slow and laggy but, that was not too surprising given the size of the files.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I can't get any files to work with the Allshare Play. Like I said, I can get them to play with the Skifta App. I tried Pics, Video, and Music. All work with Skifta, none with Allshare Play. I keep getting a note that says No Applicable Media Files when using Allshare Play. Not a big problem, since Skifta is working. Just can't figure out why if one app is working, the other app isn't.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Try it this way... Assuming that your TV is DLNA compliant, on your S3, don't use AllSharePlay, go to Home->Menu->Settings->More settings (under Wireless and network)->Nearby Devices->File sharing (ON). Set your Shared Contents on by checking what you want to share.

Theoretically, your DLNA compliant devices that are on the same wifi network should show in a list. Here you can set them to ALLOWED or DENIED (not allowed). And here you can also control what you can do with the files. On your target "viewing" system, you should accept access to your Phone (or vice versa). You may want to set your Device Name (same place as above) to something intuitive and unique if you have multiple DLNA devices.

Give it a shot and see if the base native DLNA file sharing does the trick.