Can I load Jellybean on my Verizon SIII?

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So after more than 11 happy years with Sprint, I finally had to jump to Verizon due to network issues. The down side is, I had just rooted my Sprint SIII and loaded Jellybean. Is there a stable Jellybean version for the Verizon SIII? And, if so, can you direct me not only to the JB files, but to some reliable instructions for rooting and for loading JB?

Many thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So after more than 11 happy years with Sprint, I finally had to jump to Verizon due to network issues. The down side is, I had just rooted my Sprint SIII and loaded Jellybean. Is there a stable Jellybean version for the Verizon SIII? And, if so, can you direct me not only to the JB files, but to some reliable instructions for rooting and for loading JB?

Many thanks!

There is no leaked or official Touchwiz version of JB out for the Verizon GS3. You'll either have to wait, or load an AOSP ROM, such as CM10.

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Am I correct that such ROMs are stock Android?

ROMS such as CyanogenMod and AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) are what is referred to as "AOSP"-based ROMs (Android Open Source Project).

They contain their own various features and addons, so they're not 100% "stock Android", however that is what they are based off of. There is no OEM software or launchers loaded, such as in case of Samsung, Touchwiz components. Many folks prefer the pure stock Android experience, and without the inclusion of any OEM software, most of these AOSP projects are designed to run on many different devices.

There are pros and cons to running AOSP which I won't get into here... In many cases, there will be some features present in the OEM software that will be missing from AOSP roms...which is why some folks do prefer to run roms based off of the official OS release with OEM software included (such as Touchwiz).

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, paintdrinkingpete, for the helpful clarification. Is there a list somewhere of each ROM and it's various features?

Good luck. With every new phone it seems that someone tries to do this, but usually the development moves much faster than the list organizer(s) can keep up. Best thing to do is check the forums regularly, and if you see something that interests you, peruse the threads to if there are any ongoing issues, expected updates, etc...

Here is a list started over at XDA: [Guide] Verizon Galaxy SIII Downloads List - xda-developers

There are quite a few great Android forums out there, including this one, but if you're really looking strictly into development and ROMs, you definitely have to just browse the developer forums over at XDA, as most devs will list their releases there:
Verizon Galaxy S III Android Development - xda-developers

Just keep in mind that they try to keep the conversation level pretty focused on ROM development over there. My advice is if you have a "noobish" question to ask (and we've all had them), don't post it in a ROM forum, just come back over here to ask it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non