there is a way to remove the constant wi-fi notification on the s3

phone_man

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I originally got the blue s3 and some how removed the wifi notification in the ongoing processes without root. I did not like the color so I switched to a white one. I also got it to go away some how. I just now got the black one and cannot get it to go away. I know for a fact you can do this without root. I have personally done it on two previouse s3's. I just don't know what I did. I was thinking that you may have to hook it up to a certain number of wifi spots, but I haven't been able to test this yet. Someone please help. Everything that I have read says you need root. I did not root any of my s3's and the ongoing "Wi-Fi is Off" under ongoing is not there anymore.

phone_man

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I know how to turn wifi on and off. But I'm talking about getting rid of the ongoing notification. There is a way to do this without rooting the phone.

Bast

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Use one of those apps that toggles wifi, instead of turning it off in the settings. Widgetsoid or Elixir come to mind. I think that is how I got rid of it.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's the really weird thing. First, I don't get the popups, ever. Once I unchecked that box in wifi settings, popup is gone. The issue is I can't stand seeing the notification in the drop down panel - if I'm on wifi, it tells me the network I'm connected to, and if I'm not on wifi, it says tap here to connect to wifi. Mine is the 16gb blue and have had for about a month. My wife just got the white 16gb just about a week ago and her notification pull down panel has nothing for wifi in the ongoing section whatsoever. Hasn't since day one. Why would hers be different than mine? Both have all updates from vzw installed, neither is rooted.

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine has never come back since I unchecked the box about connecting for high data usage apps or whatever.

X2, thats all i did too, and the notification has never come back. Wierd that it doesnt work for everybody. I have a one month old blue 16gb S3 if it makes a difference. The only other thing that happened since i unchecked that box is I got the 4.04 update, not sure if maybe that fixed it.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's the really weird thing. First, I don't get the popups, ever. Once I unchecked that box in wifi settings, popup is gone. The issue is I can't stand seeing the notification in the drop down panel - if I'm on wifi, it tells me the network I'm connected to, and if I'm not on wifi, it says tap here to connect to wifi. Mine is the 16gb blue and have had for about a month. My wife just got the white 16gb just about a week ago and her notification pull down panel has nothing for wifi in the ongoing section whatsoever. Hasn't since day one. Why would hers be different than mine? Both have all updates from vzw installed, neither is rooted.

What I noticed is it does that when wifi is on and not connected and goes away once you actually turn wifi off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Tried this over and over and it never worked. Just sat there with the characters on the screen.
Are you sure you were entering all of the characters? You have to be sure to input the asterisk along with the rest:
*#6335623#

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you were entering all of the characters? You have to be sure to input the asterisk along with the rest:
*#6335623#

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Yup, got them all in there. I'm not rooted or anything, but some of the other shortcuts work, such as the LED test one. I also tried the "anycut" method (you can google for it) and that did not work either. I was able to see the menu and change the setting, but it just didn't get rid of the ongoing notification.

phone_man

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly the problem. Everyone keeps going off on the tangent of the pop ups. Its not the pop up thats the problem. Its the ongoing notification of Wi-Fi is OFF or when your connected is says which network you are connected to. My first two s3's had this notification. but i somehow got it to go away. On my most recent purchase of the s3 I cannot get it to go away. Why would there be different software builds?

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly the problem. Everyone keeps going off on the tangent of the pop ups. Its not the pop up thats the problem. Its the ongoing notification of Wi-Fi is OFF or when your connected is says which network you are connected to. My first two s3's had this notification. but i somehow got it to go away. On my most recent purchase of the s3 I cannot get it to go away. Why would there be different software builds?

Yup I agree. It's the ongoing notification that is the annoying part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have never had an ongoing notification of any kind. It also never says WiFi off if it is and it never tells me what network I am connected to when I have it active. This seems like a weird thing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums