Transfering Files from Galaxy S3 to computer. Broken digitizer

Vorpal_Droid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Last night the digitizer went out in my Verizon GalaxyS3. Verizon is sending me a new phone, but in the mean time I would like to transfer all my files that are on the internal storage of my phone onto my computer. Can anyone give me some info on how i might be able to do this. I have connected my phone to my computer via USB and tried copying all the files on the internals storage and pasting it into a folder on my PC but all the folders transferred but there were no files in them.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You could try Kies. Since your computer can "see" your phone it appears that the required drivers are there. Kies can do a full backup of all user data (photos, video, txt messages, contacts, music, some phone settings, etc). Your phone needs to be connected to your computer for this. From what you've described the screen is not functional, so a USB based connection with something like Kies may help.
You may want to reboot your computer after the drivers for the S3 were installed. That may also help it see the phone better. Quite strange that the copy was able to get the folders but nothing within them.

Vorpal_Droid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,I got kies to work, that should work for most of the stuff i need to backup is there a program that i can use to back up apps and app data?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks,I got kies to work, that should work for most of the stuff i need to backup is there a program that i can use to back up apps and app data?
I believe that Titanium Backup will, but requires root. I saw something recently about Carbon backup. That looks promising and may be an option. There are others in the Play Store but I'm not familiar with the app and app data backup features for those.
Carbon backup app hits beta for the week | Android Central

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I use FolderSync to keep my internal SdCard and extSdCard synced to a PC on my home network. Awesome bit of software.
If you have an OTG cable, you can plug in an external hard disk, and copy to it. (or even plug in a mouse to control the S3 if the digitizer craps out) And OTG cable is just a couple dollars from Amazon.

But basically, I use Titanium Backup to backup Apps and everything to the internal SdCard a couple of times a week in the middle of the night. Then a couple of times a week in the middle of the night over WiFi, FolderSync backs up the SdCard to my PC. And my PC is backed up. Basically, it would be hard for me to lose much.

Vorpal_Droid

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I use FolderSync to keep my internal SdCard and extSdCard synced to a PC on my home network. Awesome bit of software.
If you have an OTG cable, you can plug in an external hard disk, and copy to it. (or even plug in a mouse to control the S3 if the digitizer craps out) And OTG cable is just a couple dollars from Amazon.

But basically, I use Titanium Backup to backup Apps and everything to the internal SdCard a couple of times a week in the middle of the night. Then a couple of times a week in the middle of the night over WiFi, FolderSync backs up the SdCard to my PC. And my PC is backed up. Basically, it would be hard for me to lose much.

I cant even see the screen to do any of that, phone turns on and i can accept incoming calls and make calls to certain people using voice commands but that's about it
:(

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I cant even see the screen to do any of that, phone turns on and i can accept incoming calls and make calls to certain people using voice commands but that's about it
:(
Wow, sorry its turned out to be so much trouble for you. Just thought of AirDroid. Log into your Google Play account and then use the "remote install" feature to push the install to your phone. The only challenge will be getting AirDroid to start on your phone remotely since you have to run it, and then input the access code it displays into your computer browser once prompted for authentication. If you could get that working then this may be a way to remotely control the phone. Webkey may be an option if you are rooted. I have not tried this, and it may still have the same prerequisite/Catch-22 that the app on the phone has to be started and the access key somehow known to allow computer based browser access.
The other thought is that if you have all of your data (photos, etc) off of the phone, then it may not be worth the hassle to try and recover the apps, but rather just reinstall them.
[GUIDE]Control your android phone with PC - xda-developers
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nd.airdroid&feature=nav_result&token=53nK8z6B
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m.webkey&feature=search_result&token=5tb8uku6..

- - - Updated - - -

So i tried backing up everything using kies and it has been stuck on "preparing..." for the last few hours.
Thats taking too long. May want to reboot phone if your Power Key is responding.