Does Verizon One have Wifi-calling like TMobile?

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the wifi-calling option for using wifi instead of cell service for calls is available on Verizon too? Much appreciated in advance for any help.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the wifi-calling option for using wifi instead of cell service for calls is available on Verizon too? Much appreciated in advance for any help.

No... it isn't a feature on the Verizon HTC One. Wifi calling is a T-Mobile exclusive. It would be great if the other carriers would do that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No... it isn't a feature on the Verizon HTC One. Wifi calling is a T-Mobile exclusive. It would be great if the other carriers would do that.

I agree. WiFi calling is amazing and I'm very surprised other carriers haven't followed it... It takes you completely off cell towers (turns the radio off) so that helps with congestion since you use your wifi for data, calls, and texts.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

mattis2kool

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the note 3 with Verizon and Wi-Fi calling is not available. There are several reasons that I can think of as to why T-Mobile has Wi-Fi calling. 1st T-Mobile does not have the best coverage is why they give this option to their customers and their plans are unlimited calling. 2nd the other carriers are making millions of dollars on overage charges. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that allowing us to call on a Wi-Fi network.. I think Samsung executives are playing golf with the other cell phone executives. The good ole boy system got to luv it. It?s just another way that corporate America is screwing us.$$$

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
It's great using that in Europe. I got a cheapo Tmob phone just so I could use the SIM card in an old Blackberry Curve before I went to England. I paid a grand total of $30 to call, text, and of course Email. There's a name for that feature but I forget what it is.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't looked into it too much but is Skype available for the One. That would be internet/WiFi calling right? Well if you and your callee Skype. Looking at the Skype boards it's not without issue, however it seems to work.

houtx1

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't looked into it too much but is Skype available for the One. That would be internet/WiFi calling right? Well if you and your callee Skype. Looking at the Skype boards it's not without issue, however it seems to work.

I've used Skype and it worked just fine. Actually sound quality was better than cell. Used it in Mexico to call the U.S. when I couldn't get a signal but had wifi.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I use Wi-Fi calling almost daily on my One to make business calls overseas. I have a Google Voice # and use Talkatone to make calls via Wi-Fi. I believe that Google is killing 3rd party apps for Gvoice next March. Even so, I would just use the stock dialer via Gvoice. You do have to buy minutes for international calls but it is dirt cheap.

donnyhat55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have used wifi calling with my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon using the old Google Voice app ( I think). So if you download a third party app you could do it with the ONE.

Terry Pickering

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I know it might sound crazy, but there is a difference between "using wifii to send/receive a cell phone call" and "using your cell phone to run an app that makes calls using wifii".

Where I live we don't get cell coverage for either T-mobile or Verizon, but I have a good 20mb internet connection. My wife has T-mobile and I Verizon. She can send and receive calls at home on her cell phone because it switches to the wifii connection. Mine does not. So while I could put Skype or similar software on my cell phone and make calls - people calling my cell phone just gets a voice mail. My wife doesn't have that problem.

Because of this, we've had a landline phone bundled with internet service. It costs like $45 more for having the landline. But no longer. I got a local phone number (same area code and number, only the 3 digit prefix changed) through Skype. Then I put Skype on my desktop, both our cell phones, and both our Kindle Fires. We can answer on whichever device is closest by. Costs like $3 a month for the number and $3 for the unlimited call plan.

Added advantage is my "home number" now is on my phone and can be answered almost anywhere I am. I plan on testing for a couple of weeks then killing the landline number we've had for 30 years. I'm going to try forwarding my cell phone to my Skype number to see if that works next.

Yes, it would be nice though Verizon offered similar service as T-mobile.

Smitticus Matticus

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
You are ripping yourself off by letting yourself continue to do business with a company you feel is ripping you off. It is your choice who to spend your money on. You can buy out of your contract today and pick a new company. The only reason these companies keep these policies is because people still continue to choose to do business with them even when they know they are being taken advantage of. When people stop thinking of themselves as vicitims of the companies and start realizing that their power is in where they spend their dollar we will feel less helpless. These companies follow the dollar. Be the strong one and put your somewhere else.

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
What about using SIP calls? doesn't that completely get rid of the carrier fully? I realize the thread is a little old but now I'm curious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89