Does the HTC One have the capability to show text notifications while in-game apps are open?

Trey Young

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have this phone and they don't show for me, but I just figured I had to turn the feature on. Is this possible or not? Plus the phone has to have all game apps closed before it will sync with the phone's volume, meaning my ringtone and vibrations won't work unless I manually close the game apps which are utilizing the phone's speakers, is there a way to override these settings.

azurumi

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure when i am playing a game like plants vs zombies on my htc one , i hear all sorts of notifications while playing a game with its sound on....so i find it odd you cant hear anything when playing a game ( not counting the games sound ) . Any one else able to hear notifications when there playing a game? i dont even think i messed with the sound options. Oh so yea its probably possible then cause i remember having to close my game to check a text and stuff like that.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I can hear notification sound while in a game app. You can enable notification popup feature of like popups

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it may be your game or your text app. For example I get notification sounds for everything (i.e. Facebook, email, texts) it seems regardless of the game I'm playing. However, I don't get the appearance of the notification bar every time. I know for a fact that I the sound in all of the games I play Angry Birds, Tower Defense, Reversi, but I only get the pop up text notification in some of them. So either my text notification for Handcent reads my phone state and decides that it's OK to interrupt one activity or another, but not all activity and that's why I get the notifications, or those games tell my Handcent app that it is not OK to interrupt with more than an audible notification? Which is it I can't say, but I would do some tests if it's really important to you to get these notifications.

1. Try a different texting app, like Handcent. Open your favorite game and have a friend text you and check the results. Handcent actually has a check box for popups and some other options, you may want to check your texting app for similar options.
1a. You may also want to try Dragon. It's an app offered by the Swype people, and it will read texts aloud if you tell it to. I haven't tried this my self but it may read the text without the popup if your app will allow sound notifications and not popups. It's also a pretty cool app, I'm just waiting for them to work a few bugs that I have with it. It may work perfectly fine for your application if all you want to know who a message is from or what it says.

2. If you're already using a third party app (TPA) for texting, have your friend text you while you have a different game open and see if the results are the same. You may find that the game you're playing just doesn't want to be interrupted.

3. If you find a combination that works test it with other games so you'll know which games allow text message popups and which do not.

Then after all of that move on to email. I use MailDroid for email and I get the audible notifications it seems no matter what I'm doing, Netflix, Stitcher, games you name it. That's why I had to change my email notification sound so I would know it was email and not a text or Facebook, because I don't think I get text popups in Netflix or Stitcher. Honestly I cannot recall with Stitcher but I'm pretty sure I don't with Netflix. As for Facebook notifications, I really hardly use it so I may or may not even be getting those at in any app. I use stock, but I'm fairly confident that I've gotten notifications while in other apps, I just cannot say which ones or what type of apps they were. I hope this sets you on your way to finding an answer, I know it's not definitive but it's someplace to start.