Now that you own the One...........

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Does every phone now feel unsubstantial?
Took the family to the mall and as usual couldn't help but go look at the latest and greatest.
The Moto X simply felt "low end". I know, it performs well, etc. but it just felt cheap in the hands.
Looked at several phones with shiny plastic backs and the resulting fingerprint maze from everybody else that had touched it....yuck.
The only "new" phone (other than the One) that felt substantial was the Droid Maxx with it's Kevlar back. The DNA also felt pretty solid.
The only phone that seems to come close in build quality is my wife's iPhone 5 (yes, I threw up in my mouth when I typed that).
I'm definitely in trouble if HTC does not continue with the aluminum uni-body construction and front facing speakers for the future.....

For the record, did not see a LG2.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much, yes. Haven't handled the Moto X or Droid Maxx yet, though. I'm an admitted Moto fanboy, so I'm going to give those two the benefit of the doubt until I see them. Have to say the Mini and Ultra look pretty cheesy with the gloss finish though. If HTC isn't still rocking out phones like the One by the time I need to upgrade this beauty, I can only hope that Moto returns to glory and hits one out of the park, both feature-wise and build-wise. Except I fear that they'll be using AMOLED exclusively from here on out (for active notifications), and that's a problem for me. Can't abide an AMOLED screen anymore.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just what I said...operative word here is "felt" as in touch, feel, etc. said nothing about it's operation. From what I understand it operates very nicely.
My point is, coming from an aluminum body constructed phone like the One all others (plastic) do not feel as substantial.
And lastly, this is just my unscientific, biased opinion. Glad it doesn't feel "low end" for you.

What do you mean by the Moto X felt "low end." Have been testing it for a week and it doesn't feel that way.

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Agree completely. There are just a few phones out there that really look, feel and perform well. From my personal point of view I'd cite the iphone, Xperia Z, HTC One, Droid Maxx and Nokia Lumia.

RyanMXA

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely! After buying the One, on the 14th day I returned to the store specifically to check out the MotoX (I also looked at the galaxy s4, droid ultra, droid maxx). To my surprise, as soon as I picked it up, I was turned off. Not only does it feel cheaper, but I do not like the UI - too plain and reminds me of other Droid products UI which I am not a fan - and the screen was not as nice, the speakers were not as good, and the overall look just pales in comparison.
But, the motox would switch between home screens faster, that is all that stood out to me.
If anything came close, it was the galaxy s4 with its nice screen and decent sound.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I finally had a chance to play with the LG G2, same thoughts. Felt unsubstantial and the buttons on the back are really hard to work.
And the finger print magnet back cover is just silly.
But...in the short time I had to play with it I found it to be really responsive, fast and a nice screen (still not at all interested in it).

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
I've had my One for 1 day now and I think it's pretty nice. This is only my 2nd smartphone so I can only compare it to my last, which was the Thunderbolt. Well, after 3 years of the TB and multiple updates to get that running ok, I get the One because my Bolt was just too laggy and didn't compare at all to my wife's S4. I like the One so far and hope it's everything I think it will be

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress