How to clear cache partition from stock recovery (un-rooted phone)

bikercr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Power off phone (be sure to turn off fast reboot in settings first). Boot into recovery by holding volume-down key and then holding power key until boot menu appears. Volume down to RECOVERY and tap power to select. HTC logo appears followed by a blank, dim screen. Wait about 30 seconds for red triangle icon to appear.

Now, hold down volume-up and tap power button. Recovery menu appears. Volume-down to "Wipe cache partition" at bottom of list and tap power key. Cache gets cleared. Then select "reboot system now" by tapping power key again. Done!

Device will now be a little snappier and some quirky behavior that sometimes develops is fixed. May want to do this every month or so to keep things running better, or if device behaving strangely and you want to try a quick fix that may work. This will often work to fix abnormalities after an OTA update (esp. erratic battery charging/discharging) by clearing corrupted install files out of system cache partition.

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, you are saying this method works for you on the Verizon version HTC One?
I ask because once you scroll to recovery and hit the Power button the phone reboots immediately showing the HTC logo. There is no "Blank, dim screen".

Power off phone (be sure to turn off fast reboot in settings first). Boot into recovery by holding volume down key and then holding power key until boot menu appears. Volume down to RECOVERY and tap power to select. Blank, dim screen appears. Quickly tap all three together: power, volume up and down, and release immediately. Black screen appears and sd card error message scrolls. After about ten seconds, recovery menu appears (all in very small font). Volume-down to "clear cache partition" at bottom of list and tap power key. Cache gets cleared. Then select reboot by tapping power key again. Done!

Device will now be a little snappier and some quirky behavior that sometimes develops is fixed. May want to do this every month or so to keep things running better, or if device behaving strangely and you want to try a quick fix that may work.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My dimly lit blank screen showed right after the HTC screen. This part of the process took like 10 second like he said. I had to hit all 3 buttons a few times as well.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Went back and tried again....it worked! Not sure why it didn't the last few times but nevertheless it did this time.
Thanks murof & bikercr!

My dimly lit blank screen showed right after the HTC screen. This part of the process took like 10 second like he said. I had to hit all 3 buttons a few times as well.

bikercr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You have to time the three-button tap pretty simultaneously, but can get away with several tries until it works. When you see the tiny bright yellow SD card error message scrolling down on a black screen background, you know you're good to go. If you're over 45, be sure you have your reading glasses on. :)

anon(5612113)

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I was getting 16 to 18 hours of battery and it suddenly dropped to annoy 10. I did this and I'm back on pace for 18 hours.

I recommend this for anyone with battery drain issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Sarathe Srinivasan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm not able to view the link - it says unauthorised - Could anyone please help me on to wipe cache on International HTC One - my battery life pretty much sucks big time after 4.3 update...

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I only get the red triangle with an arrow after trying to tap the three buttons. Am I just not doing it fast enough or is there some other reason?

Edit: Never mind. Apparently this is the way to do it (at least if you're using a non-Verizon device) http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2265

hey man I can't see the link it was you to sign it with a tmoble account a d I am with ATT and I got the same red triangle so how do I do the chasee wipe.

Posted via Android Central App

GMGPR

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, two questions: how do you tap volume up and down at the same time?
And I'm trying to clear the cache using the suggestion on the HTC One site, however, when I go into settings then storage and go to content it shows me a bunch of headings with how many files are in there but the last category is Miscellaneous and mine has 4,127 files. When I go in there, there are 25 sub categories with different amounts of data being stored but it isn't clear if any of this is just cached files or things I shouldn't touch! How do I know what to delete? For example under .data it says 68.27MB. But what is included in that!?!?

mjfleck34

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful advice. I appreciate the easy to follow steps. I completed the process and now await to see if it resolves the battery drain.

TANIT Das

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried out clearing the cache out of my htc one m7 but after the red triangle comes up on the screen we're intended to press the vol down button and tap the power button right? Well I did that several times but after the dim screen it shows the htc logo and gets the phone rebooted.I'm using an international un-rooted version and I'm having this battery dfrain issue after the ota update to 4.4.3. :'( A lil' help from anyone would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...!

Richard2S

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for this: It works on my non-rooted HTC One V (Android 4.0.3)

However, it does NOT work if my phone is connected to a charger.
So do disconnect the charge lead before performing this procedure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non