HTC One: Is it possible to configure the home key to bring up voice control automatically?

kenn

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to be able to launch voice control automatically... Right now you have to unlock, hold home, then press voice activation button on the phone. I know unlocking isn't something I can bypass, but I could, without looking at the phone, unlock and hold the home button. That would help me voice dial, voice navigate, etc. without having to look down and precisely press the voice input button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to configure the home key to bring up voice control automatically?

I use Nova Launcher. Then, in Nova Settings > Gestures and Buttons > Home Button > Voice Search.

The way it works for me is this: if you're an any home screen other than the primary home screen, touch home button takes you to the primary home screen (just as normal). Then a second press activates Voice Search. Of course, if you're already at the main home screen, it takes only one press.

I should add that you could also assign other gestures to Voice Search; like double tap, swipe up/down, etc.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to configure the home key to bring up voice control automatically?

In your settings under Security I have a setting to bypass the lock screen, but I'm using a security lock also. So I'm not sure if it's there without it?

Meanwhile, in settings under Display, gestures & buttons you can change the home button to swipe up for Google Now or press and hold for Google Now. Once open all you have to do is say "Ok Google" and the voice commands are up and running. It's listening once it's open, so if you're going to talk to it this is just one more thing to say. And it's all hands free from there.

kenn

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

In your settings under Security I have a setting to bypass the lock screen, but I'm using a security lock also. So I'm not sure if it's there without it?

Meanwhile, in settings under Display, gestures & buttons you can change the home button to swipe up for Google Now or press and hold for Google Now. Once open all you have to do is say "Ok Google" and the voice commands are up and running. It's listening once it's open, so if you're going to talk to it this is just one more thing to say. And it's all hands free from there.

Yeah, that's what i've started doing "Ok Google". I just hate having to say that specific phrase. It's like I'm bowing to a God or something... I don't know why I feel so stupid saying it, though. In contracts, with my Galaxy Note and my Iphone, I could press and hold to start it listening and it would do so right then without having to say, "Hi Galaxy" or "Hi Siri".

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's what i've started doing "Ok Google". I just hate having to say that specific phrase. It's like I'm bowing to a God or something... I don't know why I feel so stupid saying it, though. In contracts, with my Galaxy Note and my Iphone, I could press and hold to start it listening and it would do so right then without having to say, "Hi Galaxy" or "Hi Siri".

Yeah there has been a lot of complaints about the phrase "OK Google" and most have stemmed around how unnatural it is to say. One poster reported before 4.4 they were able to say "Hey Google" I used to say just about "anything Google" it seemed and it worked. The feeling for the change is for models that allow "always listening" Like the Moto X to prevent false starts. Not having that option on the One we should have a choice or something, right? Well tell it to Google. No seriously use the link at the app and tell them maybe if enough people complain they'll sit in their cubicles and chuckle then think about it.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I added a shortcut to "voice search" on my main screen and just hit that. It takes me to google with voice activated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty