Finally did it

bserey

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, well I finally took the plunge and flashed the latest leak, and I would like to thank all of you good people here. I have been reading on here for quite some time now how easy it was. After reading the other thread about ICS not coming till August I thought now is the time.I would especially like to give a shout out to Mr. Smith for the concise guide he has so kindly posted on here, for it was able to hold my hand through the entire process. Now rockin ICS and lovin it!! Yay. Thanks again.

Bryon

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the "It's my phone and I'll do as I please" club.

It's nerve racking to be sure when you first do it but afterwards you see it's really a non-event.

Congrats and enjoy ICS.

PS: Your avatar creeps me the F@#$ OUT! When I was watching tha episode when it aired, during that scene I actually said out loud "HOLY $HIT!" I was watching it alone, just cussing to myself...still creeps me out just looking at her picture there :)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Welcome and congrats for your crossover. You will find much satisfaction here. Particularly if you choose to unlock root and Rom.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Joker35

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
congrats on flashing the leak. i flashed the leak last week and i'm loving it. thanks verizon for not giving us something that works on our phone already.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Figured wth and flashed it this evening. Quite nice!

I didn't use Chrome much (preferred Firefox) until I could finally use Chrome on my phone.
(edit)
Still sticking with Firefox - it shows all tabs in all Tab Groups/Panorama sessions whereas Chrome sees only active tabs in Chrome for PC.
(/edit)
Now, it's all Chrome for me -- enjoying having all my tabs shared between PC & phone.

When / if chefs can cook up a stable batch of Jelly Bean for the Rezound, I will definitely root to get it unless it screws up the global capabilities of the phone. :)

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Figured wth and flashed it this evening. Quite nice!

I didn't use Chrome much (preferred Firefox) until I could finally use Chrome on my phone. Now, it's all Chrome for me -- enjoying having all my tabs shared between PC & phone.

When / if chefs can cook up a stable batch of Jelly Bean for the Rezound, I will definitely root to get it unless it screws up the global capabilities of the phone. :)

That's a VERY big if on the devs. The only two that are left that I'm aware of (not that I'm an expert mind you) are NilsP and Newt. Possibly lllboredlll but he's been away for quite a while now.

It's possible someone will cook up a JB ROM but I'm not going to hold my breath. I mean, we still don't have the kernel source for ICS and obviously we don't even have ICS officially yet so, to me, not looking so hot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
That's a VERY big if on the devs. The only two that are left that I'm aware of (not that I'm an expert mind you) are NilsP and Newt. Possibly lllboredlll but he's been away for quite a while now.

It's possible someone will cook up a JB ROM but I'm not going to hold my breath. I mean, we still don't have the kernel source for ICS and obviously we don't even have ICS officially yet so, to me, not looking so hot.

Dev activity should pick up after the source code is made available, but, until, then, there isn't much more that can be done without source code.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Dev activity should pick up after the source code is made available, but, until, then, there isn't much more that can be done without source code.

Very true but when the devs sell their Rezounds for other devices it makes it difficult.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Very true but when the devs sell their Rezounds for other devices it makes it difficult.

The Rez always had so much potential. It would be a shame if devs ignored the phone already.

Unless carriers & OEMs slow the pace of new releases, dwindling support may be a regular headache, eh -- as devs move on quicker than the rest of us?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This is why I have a very hard time giving money to a dev. I work hard for my money. I don't want to give my money to someone at the first sign of a new flagship jumps his current ship to get to the other. To me that is disrespectful to people who have given them money. Some will say that donating money is thanking them for the work that is done. Well if the work that is done is flawless then thanking them can be warrented. If the work still has holes that need to be patched then the work is not done.

This is coming from a Web Dev btw.. So I do know something about development.

I do want to thank all the Devs that have done work for the rezound though.. I just wish they would have stuck around longer then 8 months

bserey

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I am now finding out the hardest part about all this is re setting up the phone. And thanks for the props on the avatar I absolutely love that show, unfortunately I am a Dish Network subscriber and have lost AMC. I sure hope they get that worked out before October.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I am now finding out the hardest part about all this is re setting up the phone. And thanks for the props on the avatar I absolutely love that show, unfortunately I am a Dish Network subscriber and have lost AMC. I sure hope they get that worked out before October.

Look into Titanium Backup. I use Nova Launcher and when I restore via Titanium ... it will bring back all of my screens exactly how I had it.

Reactions: bserey

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Boo on dish... lol Great show Normally when dish loses something they tend to get it back 1-2 weeks after the contract ends since both sides lose out normally...

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

There's always AMC online...full episodes...webisodes etc etc. I had to resort to that for the season 2 finale cause I was on the road for about 2 weeks and didn't get a chance to watch even though I'd DVR'd it. I was terrified someone would be talking about it and I'd hear what happened..finally got sick of worrying about it and watched it online in my hotel room.

I'll look into that. Do you need to be rooted?

Yes, for Titanium you need to be rooted. If you're not rooted, its fairly easy and won't change anything on the phone except that it will void your warranty which I think you may have done by installing the leak since it's not "authorized" to be running on your phone yet.

I'd say root your phone and then you can use Titanium to back up all your apps and their data, plus with it you can delete the stuff you don't want like say, Twitter, or all the VZ stuff big Red sticks on there. Word to the wise, be careful what you delete as it will delete anything, and I mean anything.

Plus, once your rooted you can use Amon-Ra to make an entire system backup called a Nandroid backup. Like doing a total system backup of your computer, it allows you to restore the entire system back to however it was when you made the back up. Very handy in case things don't go as planned.

Reactions: bserey

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
This is why I have a very hard time giving money to a dev. I work hard for my money. I don't want to give my money to someone at the first sign of a new flagship jumps his current ship to get to the other. To me that is disrespectful to people who have given them money. Some will say that donating money is thanking them for the work that is done. Well if the work that is done is flawless then thanking them can be warrented. If the work still has holes that need to be patched then the work is not done.

This is coming from a Web Dev btw.. So I do know something about development.

I do want to thank all the Devs that have done work for the rezound though.. I just wish they would have stuck around longer then 8 months

I hear what you're saying but at the same time it's a donation not a user fee. Dev's do what they do because they enjoy it. If people want to toss some coin at them for the effort I say good for them, they deserve it. And when they move on, well thats just the nature of beast. Our Rezound does have so much potential and I'm enjoying using Sense 4 even though HTC decided we shouldn't have it, that wouldn't have happened without the dev community.

As far as their work being flawed, I have to disagree. They're working with a flawed base to begin with often times correcting things that HTC or Verizon let slip out. I've yet to see any ROM that was 100% completely perfect, 99% sure, but I suspect given enough time every phone has a random reboot, or a freeze up, or an app that goes wonky and needs to be FC'd.

It would be nice for more dev's to stick around with it but hey, you can't fault them...they're only working with what they were given. The fact that they weren't given as much or that the LTE radio makes AOSP nearly impossible, well that's just the way it goes I suppose.

I think were lucky to still have Nils and Newt still actively updating their ROM's. From what I've read on his thread on "the other site" Nils has a Sense 4 ROM ready to go but won't release it until he gets the kernel code because he doesn't want his name on a ROM that doesn't perform to his specifications...You gotta respect that! And when his Sense 4 ROM does come out I'm betting it'll be the best of the bunch.

End meandering quasi-rant/Rounds complete.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
After installing the latest leak about a week ago it took a few days for me to realize that I really had lost my patience now so using MrSmith's excellent writeup/instructions I unlocked and rooted and after a bit of reading decided to go with Nils' excellent Business Sense 5.6 ROM. The rosie tweaks, the dimming of the capacitive buttons (always thought they were too bright and now they all look red too..yay!), the great battery life, the black themed sense clock widget, the ability to wake the device with the volume rocker, etc. all made it totally worth it.

I appreciate all the work the devs such as Newt and Nils are putting into making our devices run even better. Can't wait to see what they can do with source and/or Jelly Bean.

signed,

a person who loves this phone even more now

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have really been disappoint to see how the dev, community has dropped off so much. I don't blame them cause stuff happens, the but I am very disappointed none the less. About the time I got comfortable roming and such the development slowed to nothing. I realize they many may come back when there is more to work with, but I just don't have high hopes with how many of them were treated and the fact that some don't even have a rezound anymore

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have really been disappoint to see how the dev, community has dropped off so much. I don't blame them cause stuff happens, the but I am very disappointed none the less. About the time I got comfortable roming and such the development slowed to nothing. I realize they many may come back when there is more to work with, but I just don't have high hopes with how many of them were treated and the fact that some don't even have a rezound anymore

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

The most frustrating thing as a dev must be that this is pretty much a carrier exclusive device..the future is with releasing the same or similar products on several carriers such as the One series or Sammy's Galaxy phones. The Rez in some ways was and to a certain extent still is, a phone a ahead of its time..one to open the floodgates for today's top of the line android phones.

I do enjoy we have a fairly unique product but I hate that it prevents a large group of devs from possibly sticking around. Still, I don't see dev support for this phone disappearing anytime soon, especially considering the apparent similarities with the one series and the new Incredible (look at Sense 4 porting for instance). I'll take a few dedicated devs over a ton of Kanged ROMs.