New update pushing out to Rezound on West Coast as of 8/12/2012

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So, has anybody got this update other than on the West Coast? I'm going to Canada this weekend, and was hoping to use my GSM World Travel SIM. Someone said way back when that it's supposed to be pushed on to everybody sometime in September.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So, has anybody got this update other than on the West Coast? I'm going to Canada this weekend, and was hoping to use my GSM World Travel SIM. Someone said way back when that it's supposed to be pushed on to everybody sometime in September.
It didn't even get pushed out to everyone on the west coast, just a small handful of people that we know of... in fact, if one of the developers from XDA hadn't gotten it we might not have even heard about it at all. Right now the only way to get the Global Mode is to install the RUU manually: [Exclusive Download] Full RUU Build 4.03.605.2 For The HTC Rezound

Otherwise just wait... remember that this only enables the phone to be a Verizon Global Mode phone with a Verizon SIM card, not to grab a local SIM card and just pop it in the phone and go.

It was originally thought this would be pushed to the general public mid to late September, but it obviously wasn't and that was only speculation... like I said before, it might drop tomorrow, or not for several months, we really don't know.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
remember that this only enables the phone to be a Verizon Global Mode phone with a Verizon SIM card, not to grab a local SIM card and just pop it in the phone and go.

Wait ... what? Is this true? I thought this allowed us to use local pre-paid SIMs.

I installed the RUU, but won't be doing any travelling; otherwise, I'd test it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Wait ... what? Is this true? I thought this allowed us to use local pre-paid SIMs.

I installed the RUU, but won't be doing any travelling; otherwise, I'd test it.
Yes, it turns the phone into a Verizon Global Mode phone, with the only official support of a Verizon SIM card that is setup to use VZW partners world-wide (non-US)... it is possible with some tweaking to get other pre-paid SIM cards to work, including local ones, but it isn't just pop it in and go, you gotta get deep into the phone and tweak some stuff with external software tools to do it.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it turns the phone into a Verizon Global Mode phone, with the only official support of a Verizon SIM card that is setup to use VZW partners world-wide (non-US)... it is possible with some tweaking to get other pre-paid SIM cards to work, including local ones, but it isn't just pop it in and go, you gotta get deep into the phone and tweak some stuff with external software tools to do it.

Why would VZW unlock BBs, upon request, to work with any SIM, but they wouldn't do it here?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Why would VZW unlock BBs, upon request, to work with any SIM, but they wouldn't do it here?
The phone is unlocked, and any SIM will work for voice only, or so I have read in some of the forums... but for data/SMS/MMS several things need to be changed on a lower level in the ROM's settings that Verizon does not support, and the old *#*#45678*#*# (or whatever it was) to get to that menu through the phone was removed from the phone, so to get those working you need different software to be able to get to those settings.

Also remember that the Global Mode RUU firmware image we have is NOT official from Verizon, it is a leak from HTC... it is not supported by Verizon, once they issue an update we don't know what their official stance on these things will be, at least I don't as I am not a global user.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I flashed the global RUU long ago. I just wish Verizon would follow through on their previous promise.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a family member that wants a Global Android phone (preferred, but will go with an iPhone, if necessary). I was thinking of giving her this Rezound. Reading the last couple pages of this thread, I'm now doubting that this Rezound will be useful - based on ace's posts.

Is there any Verizon smartphone in existence that provides voice & data service with a pre-paid SIM? Both GSM Europe & GSM South America.

Thank you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the Global RUU late last year. Seems more stable and better battery life than before. I will probably not use the Global feature, but want to advertise the availability when I see mid-2013 to get a new phone. I am fairly confident that Verizon has moved on from the Rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo