[ROM][ZVJ] 2.3.3 DanteRom v4 [UPDATE] 10/14/2012

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Niubee43v3r: If you want free WiFi Tethering, you can use the following free app but it only works in ad-hoc mode (which is fine if you're not hotspotting for a lot of users).
WiFi Tether 3.2-beta2 app by Muller, Lemons, et al.

I think hlxanthus said that if he were to do another release he wouldn't bother including WiFi Tether in the ROM since it's an easy, free download.

androlibre

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes I can confirm, that the V5 has been working great for over 7 months. Flashed it a long time ago and has been very smooth and stable on the Optimus S.

hlx, Thanks again for all the work!

Moved onto a 4g JellyBean device also, but still have an active Optimus S, they are great little devices. If you could eek out one more update to v5 it would be very appreciated as the Optimus S will be around for a long time, still being offered new from carriers also. Even as a wifi only device it has uses.

Any chance of doing the PDroid patches to the rom so we can use the PDroid permission manager? It would make for a perfect 2nd secure utility phone.

No use for live wallaper, btw.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
After using DanteROM v4 for a year, a couple days ago I did a clean install (including Factory reset) of DanteROM v5 Beta on my Optimus S. Notes:
  • Everything seems a bit faster and snappier than DanteROM v4 in the original post. Could that be or is the placebo effect?
  • Seems very stable (just like v4).
  • All core functionality is working, like all physical buttons, charging, 3G, voice calls, speaker, speaker-phone, mute, Bluetooth/A2DP, WiFi, USB, Camera/Camcorder, Browser, Email, Texting, Contacts, Calendar, Music, etc.
  • Battery drain seems normal.
  • WiFi Tether 3.2-beta2 app by Muller, Lemons, et al, works.
  • I'm using Link2SD to effectively expand the memory. (See my guide on Link2SD here.) Works very well. In addition to the built-in Android apps, I have 50 apps installed (all of which are working well) and there is still plenty of memory available.

Of the ROMs that I've tried (gROM, HydroROM, & RebornROM) DanteROM is the best ROM for the Optimus S (and I guess Optimus V) if you need full functionality for a daily driver, including stability, automatic Bluetooth connection, low battery drain, the ability to install lots of apps, and the ability to load more than 16GB of music on your SD-card (which the Froyo-based ROMs can't handle). There are "newer" ICS, JB, & KitKat ROMs available, but if I'm not mistaken, they all have some showstopper bugs (like broken Bluetooth, speaker-phone, battery-drain, etc.)

Hlxanthus: I'd recommend taking v5 out of "beta" and link it in the original post (possibly even re-posting the thread as being updated to v5).

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The biggest show stopper for DanteRom on the Optimus v is mms is broken and there's no known fix

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Works perfectly for the S because it's based off stock gingerbread for the S

guys on xda pulled a jar or two from my cm11 framework to transplant into their different-device virgin mobile cm11. Maybe the same trick would work with mirage donor files for Dante.
Just a thought.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
guys on xda pulled a jar or two from my cm11 framework to transplant into their different-device virgin mobile cm11. Maybe the same trick would work with mirage donor files for Dante.
Just a thought.

Been tried already. I was actually working on a virgin mobile rom that used the same base as Dante spent many hours trying different things with the framework jar to get it to work but the best I got was sending working. Eventually I ran out of time to mess with it and now it's in the archived section on the V forum

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys . . I am happy you are all still enjoying my ROM!! I will try tomorrow to do a little optiS work and get something updated for your in the OP. Anything I should know? Any big changes I should know about in OptiS practices?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys . . I am happy you are all still enjoying my ROM!! I will try tomorrow to do a little optiS work and get something updated for your in the OP. Anything I should know? Any big changes I should know about in OptiS practices?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

In post 683 razz sums it up pretty good. It's pretty crazy how many of us still come back to this place. I have my Optimus setup as my backup phone on page plus now and it is running 4.4.2 now while my main phone is stuck on 4.1.2 lol

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Grrrrr . . the stock apps have grown in size over a year with updates and no longer fit in /system once added

Edit- I opted to follows razz's advice and simply remove the beta tag and push to goo.im. I simply could not find a way to update enough apps to make it worth it. Spent 3 hours on this, and all I have for it is a splitting headache. I will update the OP soon.

Last edited:

grnkp

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Grrrrr . . the stock apps have grown in size over a year with updates and no longer fit in /system once added

Edit- I opted to follows razz's advice and simply remove the beta tag and push to goo.im. I simply could not find a way to update enough apps to make it worth it. Spent 3 hours on this, and all I have for it is a splitting headache. I will update the OP soon.

Just as a thought, what about replacing some of the stock Google apps with slimmer alternatives?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Just as a thought, what about replacing some of the stock Google apps with slimmer alternatives?

Stock play store apps are the only ones I am talking about and there are no alternatives to those. I could leave some out like maps for instance

Sent from my Galaxy S4

adroidboy

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
in v5, what is the name of the google search apk (for the widget)?
i've looked high and low for it and can't find it, nor does pm seem to list it

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][ZVJ][FINAL] 2.3.3 DanteRom v5 [UPDATE] 3/21/2014

It is just voice search I believe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Just thought I'd note that you updated the op with v5 but the thread title still says v4

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I have tried to edit that a number of times and it doesn't take

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

adroidboy

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

v4 and v5 both have a little problem on the LS670 where toggling the BT radio from the pull-down thingy doesn't work - in order to toggle the radio i have to long-press the icon, which opens the BT settings UI, from where i can toggle it

any known fix for this?

oh... and about my Google search widget question - the reason i couldn't find the bloody apk is because i removed it!
however, what i didn't understand, is why the search widget is still available after removing the apk and clearing the cashes?

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

v4 and v5 both have a little problem on the LS670 where toggling the BT radio from the pull-down thingy doesn't work - in order to toggle the radio i have to long-press the icon, which opens the BT settings UI, from where i can toggle it.
On all 4 of the LS670's in my family, that problem does NOT exist, neither on v4, nor on v5. A short-press of the BT icon in the pull-down menu toggles BT on/off, and a long-press opens BT properties. Works perfectly.

Last edited: