Way the heck off topic about DirecTV

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the mods don't get mad, but I need to know if there is anyone knowledgeable about setting up a DirecTV receiver with wireless without an ethernet cable or one of DirecTV's expensive kits.

One of my TVs is near my router and through an ethernet cable I can get On Demand programming. I want another of my TVs to get the same programming, but the TV is in the other room and an ethernet cable is not the answer.

There is an advanced set up with dns numbers and such. Does anyone know if I can accomplish what I want through the advanced set up? I just can't fathom paying DirecTV for an expensive part that would provide a service I should get without any issues.

Thanks!!

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
DirecTV calls it a cinema connection kit. They gave me mine for free, so you might want to check with them. What they would do is put a splitter on the coax in the room with the router and add that box there with an ethernet cable connected to it instead of the receiver box. Then all your receivers get their Internet connection through the coax they are already using. Otherwise you would need a wireless bridge or ethernet over power line adapter to get that other box connected.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is basically what the rep told me, but DirecTV wants me to pay $150 for the kit (or half that price for some other wireless kit) and I am a 16 year customer who has never once switched back and forth from Direct to Dish. DirecTV gives so much away now to those who switch back and forth that it nickles and dimes its faithful long time customers. I am hoping that my next round of complaining will score me the kit with no charge. That being said, DirecTV should just make it simple for all receivers to go wireless.

InsiderOK

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to get Whole-Home DVR or internet on your receiver? Either way, I think you are trying to get your receiver(s) connected to your home network. Take a look at the following threads on DBS Talk...

Enabling MRV using your home networking - DBSTalk.Com (Enabling MRV using your home networking)

An FAQ can be found here...

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ - DBSTalk.Com (Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ)

And some installation images can be found here...

Connected Home Reference Images - DBSTalk.Com (Connected Home Reference Images)

Also, call DirecTV and speak with a non-front line associate. They can really not do anything. I have been with DriecTV for 4 years, have 3 HD DVRs, Whole Home, the cinema connection kit, and the Premier Package and I have never paid them a penny for equipment and my monthly bill is only $85.00. You just have to call and ask. And the longer you are a customer, the more they will give you to keep you because it is so easy for you to leave them and go else where and they know that! Call and say "Cancel Service" at the prompt, this will transfer you to retentions. Be up front with the person and tell him (or her) you are not leaving, just looking for a way to get a cinema connection kit installed for free and lower your bill. they appreciate the honesty and you will be amazed what you can get. Just call and ask! But you have to get to someone other than the front line associate...

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am just trying to get the cinema kit without paying for it. I sent an email and someone is supposed to be contacting me. If I don't hear back from DirecTV, I will call and say cancel service at prompt and speak to someone who will work with me on this issue. I mean, I am not trying to get service for free. I am just trying to get access to On Demand programming that I am already paying for.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with InsiderOK. We called DirectTV and added the Whole Home DVR upgrade and the cinema kit was also added. We have our sets connected and they work great. I think we added a few dollars a month to our bill but we are below $80 per month.

That said DirectTV seems to be some what weird on the customer service. They were great for us, but our neighbor had their dish installed in the wrong place - their patio roof - the build can rock a little in the wind and this caused them to loose signal. DirectTV refused to move their dish, said they don't move dishes, so they just canceled their service. Seems pretty crazy to me.

stevero

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and the Cinema Connection Kit is priced at $25 (self install) on DirecTV.com. Not too bad a price.

Now skatergirl, do you have a SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch) setup? If so one Cinema Connection Kit provides the internet connection for all DVRs/receivers on the SWiM network.
If you have an HR34 on a SWiM setup its ethernet connection can provide the internet interface for all of the DVRs/receivers (through either a wired connection to your router or a wireless bridge like the Cinema Connection Kit).

I hear on DBSTalk.com that saying "cancel" at the voice prompts no longer automatically takes you to retention. YMMV.
In any case your best bet for DirecTV info is DBSTalk.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya