Battery Life MUCH worse after OTA2 - Help

XStroX

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. I have been quite happy with my TB battery life since I first bought it and after OTA update 1. However, after the latest OTA update 2 my battery is draining more than twice as fast. I don't have 4G, WiFi, GPS or bluetooth on at all. I have checked all the usual causes of low battery life (blockbuster, data sync intervals, brightness levels) and all are the same as they were before the update. My battery won't even last the 8 hour work day and that is with minimum (10 minutes on phone, 20 minute screen on time) usage. I could easily make it the entire day before with room to spare. If I set my phone down now with everything set as mentioned above, pick it up 30 minutes later, the battery is down nearly 10%. What is going on??

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. I have been quite happy with my TB battery life since I first bought it and after OTA update 1. However, after the latest OTA update 2 my battery is draining more than twice as fast. I don't have 4G, WiFi, GPS or bluetooth on at all. I have checked all the usual causes of low battery life (blockbuster, data sync intervals, brightness levels) and all are the same as they were before the update. My battery won't even last the 8 hour work day and that is with minimum (10 minutes on phone, 20 minute screen on time) usage. I could easily make it the entire day before with room to spare. If I set my phone down now with everything set as mentioned above, pick it up 30 minutes later, the battery is down nearly 10%. What is going on??
Did u install any new apps. U might also want to try a factory reset if you don't mind setting up your phone again. Also a simple battery pull might fix your issue

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I would second the factory data reset (master reset). I know it's a pain, but it has proven extremely effective for me after any update (or flashing a new ROM via an RUU)! My battery life has been improved after the new MR2 update. :)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for your problems, but I'd be checking on what apps are running in the background.

I don't do OTA's anymore... I'm rooted and I did load the latest Radio, which is part of the last OTA... running a Gingerbread ASOP ROM (Liquid Thunderbread v2.2) again with the new Radio (1.39.00.0627r) running on Wifi for over 8 hours with what I'd call moderate use (10-12 emails, checking weather everytime I wake the device, and opened a couple apps)... all that and I have 85% battery life. I did reboot my device just before I removed it from power to clear all my processes running in the background... plus I know what runs on my device.

XStroX

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If I'm going to go through another factory reset I figure I my as well root. If I go to Gingerbread is there anything that will no longer work that I'm use to working now? GPS? Camera? If everything still works then I figure I my as well root. I'm sick of waiting for a GB OTA update.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If I'm going to go through another factory reset I figure I my as well root. If I go to Gingerbread is there anything that will no longer work that I'm use to working now? GPS? Camera? If everything still works then I figure I my as well root. I'm sick of waiting for a GB OTA update.

If you applied the last ota I'm not sure if you can root at the moment. If you can everthing should work I've heard great things about bamf roms if you want sense and if looking to go stock cm7 is your best bet but I believe GPS is broken at the moment on that rom. But is still worth flashing

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I've seen and read other have issues... but there are a LOT of ROM's out there... if you like Sense I'd recommend looking at Das BAMF 3.0, which is in RC4 (Release Candidate version 4, which is better than 1, 2 or 3 of course). Otherwise there are a lot of good threads in the Thunderbolt Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks forum... including ROM and how to flash ROM's with ROM Manager... and how to flash a radio.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

i used db 2.1, only issues i encountered was that there was no voicemail notification until i rebooted the phone again. other issue was that the phone would randomly just shut down, and had to pull the battery, but that was the leaked mr2 and mr2.5 radios, not the official mr2 radio.

If you applied the last ota I'm not sure if you can root at the moment. If you can everthing should work I've heard great things about bamf roms if you want sense and if looking to go stock cm7 is your best bet but I believe GPS is broken at the moment on that rom. But is still worth flashing

you can root using auto root. it will leave you with stock mr1 rooted:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

afterwards, follow the steps here to install radio + gb rom

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...updated-upgrade-gb-sense-rom-radio-froyo.html

baja141

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. Spoke to a HTC tech. This morning he checked and said it was something new to them. I was the first complaint. I suggest calling them. Suppose you don't want to root like everybody else.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. Spoke to a HTC tech. This morning he checked and said it was something new to them. I was the first complaint. I suggest calling them. Suppose you don't want to root like everybody else.

U also can take it to Verizon and get a cln replacment

peter_kandra

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. Going to check it out at work tomorrow again, and see how it goes.
I think my battery life has actually gotten better. I took the phone off the charger at 6am, used it moderately all day..several phone calls, a bunch of txt messages, web browsing at lunch, etc. and I still had battery life when I left work at 5. I almost always have to charge it during the day.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's strange how all of us have different experiences. I never installed the MR1 update in my original Thunderbolt and the battery was fine. After a failed Invisible Shield installation, I had to get an insurance replacement. Once activated, I downloaded the MR1 update which to my surprise, was awful. I should of known, but I was surprised. My battery was draining from 100% to 30% within an hour while in stand-by. I had 4G activated, but no automatic updates, Blockbuster disabled, etc. I couldn't take it any longer so I installed the MR2 update. My battery life has been so much better that it's not even debatable.

MR1 = Fail

MR2 = Amazing

XStroX

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So figured I should update everyone on this issue. I restarted the phone once after posting this and saw a slight improvement the next day. I restarted the next day and ever since my battery life is back to the way it was if not better. Looks like a few restarts did the trick. By restarts I do not mean pulling the battery, just holding the lock button and selecting restart. This was in addition to the restart I did after the OTA was installed. Thanks for all the suggestions. Still may root this thing soon.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So figured I should update everyone on this issue. I restarted the phone once after posting this and saw a slight improvement the next day. I restarted the next day and ever since my battery life is back to the way it was if not better. Looks like a few restarts did the trick. By restarts I do not mean pulling the battery, just holding the lock button and selecting restart. This was in addition to the restart I did after the OTA was installed. Thanks for all the suggestions. Still may root this thing soon.
sometimes a simple restart is all u need. I hope your battery life stays this way and is not just a fluke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa