winmail (dat) files

Malibu02

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I get some of my mail thru Comcast and I have no problem with excel, word, powerpoint , videos etc.
Anything that is marked "winmail (dat)" I get a message "unable to open this type of file".
Does anybody know of a fix?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I get some of my mail thru Comcast and I have no problem with excel, word, powerpoint , videos etc.
Anything that is marked "winmail (dat)" I get a message "unable to open this type of file".
Does anybody know of a fix?

The Internet standard for email is Plain Text only. However, in modern days html has become pretty common because every platform has a web browser which supports html (didn't used to be that way).

Anyway, the problem here (windmail.dat) is on the senders' side. They are sending out (probably unknowingly) a unique proprietary MS Outlook format email. You should inform them to change their MS Outlook setup. Point them to any of the following links that explain winmail.dat and how to prevent sending it out.

Winmail.dat attachments are included in received e-mail messages in Outlook

How to Prevent Winmail.dat Attachments from Being Sent in Outlook - About Email

How to turn off winmail.dat attachments

Another alternative might be to purchase an office suite that supports MS Outlook Rtf (Rich Text Formatting). I use Officesuite Pro from the Market (on sale now for $14.99 - I paid $29.99).

I should add, this is not unique to the Thunderbolt or Android.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: Malibu02

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am using Outllok 2007 and sent a email using HTML and my internet setting is to convert to HTML so I have followed all of the Microsoft instructions that you referenced but still the email (which I sent from my PC to myself) still shows up as winmail.dat on my Bionic but as a PDF on my PC.

Can anyone suggest how to prevent this problem in the future.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am using Outllok 2007 and sent a email using HTML and my internet setting is to convert to HTML so I have followed all of the Microsoft instructions that you referenced but still the email (which I sent from my PC to myself) still shows up as winmail.dat on my Bionic but as a PDF on my PC.

Can anyone suggest how to prevent this problem in the future.
Did you go to the Market and install the Adobe Reader?

-Frank

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have several app loaded that will read a PDF but since the extention is a dat they will not open it. If I change the extention to pdf it opens fine.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have several app loaded that will read a PDF but since the extention is a dat they will not open it. If I change the extention to pdf it opens fine.
As the sender, are you doing an attachment? Or are you doing a copy/paste into the body of the email?

Also, try taking a look at the first link I posted in the first message in this thread. Go into your Outlook program and set it to send PLAIN TEXT and then try the attachment PDF again. Make sure MS Outlook is NOT set to send in RTF format.

-Frank

Reactions: neil154

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I used Outlook Attachment so it is NOT a paste.

I also tried sending as text format and that way the file was received as PDF. Not exactly logical nor a method that I would prefer but at least it is a solution. Thanks for the help.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I used Outlook Attachment so it is NOT a paste.

I also tried sending as text format and that way the file was received as PDF. Not exactly logical nor a method that I would prefer but at least it is a solution. Thanks for the help.
Great. Glad it worked. Actually, you should also be able to use HTML. I think it's RTF that usually causes that issue. RTF is not a universal standard like TEXT or HTML.

-Frank

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It is a lot easier to just change the extension of the attachment rather than installing another app. I was just hoping that I could somehow figure out how tp prevent the .dat but of course I can not control it because I am not the one ususally sending the attachment to me.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It is a lot easier to just change the extension of the attachment rather than installing another app. I was just hoping that I could somehow figure out how tp prevent the .dat but of course I can not control it because I am not the one ususally sending the attachment to me.
You should inform the sender that anyone using a non-Microsoft email client probably won't be able to read any of their emails. Perhaps, if they care, they will change their configuration. This happens all the time. Not just to you and not just to smartphones or Android. People in MS Office environments just assume that everyone else in the world is also using MS Office. <sigh>

-Frank

janeshare

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it! I clicked on the "here" for download winmail.dat for my android phone and it says "save or open". Both need me to give it a Windows program. I need this on my phone, so I don't get it!

thank yuou

Alexsandra Seidel

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Pessoal, escrevendo em portugu?s.....sou um usu?rio inicial do Android e possuo um galaxy s3. Esta semana a samnsung atualizou meu android para a vers?o 4.1.2, e somente depois desta atualiza??o que passei a receber os anexos do outlook 2010 como Winmail.dat. Anteriormente a atualiza??o eu recebia todos os anexos sem problemas. O que eu fa?o para voltar a receber os anexos corretos? Obrigada

Tango Man1

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Converting to PDF didn't help because Adobe Reader still couldn't open it. However, "Kingsoft Office", which is freely downloadable for Android machines, DID open windmail.pdf.

Avist

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have tried all of these suggested fixes. I am using Outlook 2007 & have checked each setting. I have als trie both the Attach function & copy/paste options to attach the PDFs and yet it it still shows up in my Samsung Android emaid as a DAT file. If i send a file to myself it shows up on my PC in Outlook 2007 as a PDF but the same email shows up in my Galaxy S6 email as a DAT file ... while it also shows up in my Android tablet as a PDF. This would suggest that there is a setting or issue on The Samsung or Email on the Samsung tbat needs to be changed. HELP!

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It has been so long ago that I started this issue that I do not remember all of the details but I do believe that the issue is a Outlook problem and not a Android problem. I think if you Google the issue you will see that it appears to be a bug in Outlook. Also, I believe if you search the play store there is an app which will open up a dat file.