Sense 2.1?

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
What if any difference is there with the Sense? Got the OTA few days ago, so how can you check and see what Sense you have??

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
To see what version of Sense is to menu>settings>about phone>software information
When you got the OTA your version of Android went to Gingerbread 2.3 from Froyo 2.2 your version of Sense did not change.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the thunderbolt still has 2.1. If you want a newer version of sense there are many roms out currently that work well and have the updated sense. I'm currently using team bamf's son of a bliss rom.

Edit: it has sense 3.5

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
To see what version of Sense is to menu>settings>about phone>software information
When you got the OTA your version of Android went to Gingerbread 2.3 from Froyo 2.2 your version of Sense did not change.

Acutally, it went from Sense 2.0 to Sense 2.1 :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Slight visual updates, quick settings, paginated app drawer+ movable tabs. Those are the main differences.

Sense 2.1 is also referred to as GingerSense.
Yes. Also changes in the Calendar app are good. When you're flipping the time around to create a calendar entry the minutes stop at 15 minute marks, so you can set the time a lot faster than the old version which was so sloppy. Also, I understand accepting incoming meeting request from Exchange is more functional now. Flipping through app list is now paginated so it is easier to keep track of where you are (some would argue, but...). Previous SMS wrong-person message bug fixed. Noticeably faster. There's more.

-Frank

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Do I have to root to get the lockscreen like what's on the Sensation and EVO 3D? If so, how hard is it?

That's Sense 3.0. That, as previously stated, requires root and flashing a customer ROM. I'd recommend BAMF Forever for a Sense 3.0 ROM.

There are apps out there that mimic it, such as Agile Lockscreen, but they are rather poor imitations to me.

You will also find "hybrid" ROMs that add a few features of Sense 3.0 (such as the lock screen or weather) but keep the overall feel of Sense 2.1. SHIFTS3NS3 is a good example of that.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Slight visual updates, quick settings, paginated app drawer+ movable tabs. Those are the main differences.

Sense 2.1 is also referred to as GingerSense.
Also, cut-n-paste improvement. You know those little "select text" markers?... they are now much easier to operate. At first I didn't like the change, but now I love it. The first long press gives you a choice of "select word" and "select all". Notice, no "select text" choice. So, you zero in on the word where you want to start selecting, it becomes highlighted with only one marker to drag until you get to the end of what you want to select. Much better and more accurate than the old way.

Also, the Mail app, when in the "All Accounts" view, will display a MOVE choice (like to the Junk Folder) with the first press of the menu button. It used to require Menu | More | Move | on Sense 2.0.

Also, calendar app, much easier to set an appointment time. The little slot machine counters now paginate at 15 minute marks so you can quickly find any 15 minute increment. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to to me to have to play with those stupid wheels to get the proper time in there!

Also, new Downloads app to take you directly to the download directory. Even if you don't have a file explorer installed,

Also, (this *may* have been there before) when viewing the "All Accounts" Mail inbox, you can easily search for a specific message with the Search capacitive button -- as well as using the Mail menu system.

Also, dealing with Exchage meeting requests is better.

Also, faster.

I'm sure there are more differences from Sense 2.0 and 2.1, but these are the ones I noticed that made the most difference to me.

-Frank

Last edited:

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
That's Sense 3.0. That, as previously stated, requires root and flashing a customer ROM. I'd recommend BAMF Forever for a Sense 3.0 ROM.

There are apps out there that mimic it, such as Agile Lockscreen, but they are rather poor imitations to me.

You will also find "hybrid" ROMs that add a few features of Sense 3.0 (such as the lock screen or weather) but keep the overall feel of Sense 2.1. SHIFTS3NS3 is a good example of that.

Is it hard to load BAMF Forever or SHIFTS3NS3?

This has me wanting to ditch my Motorola Droid 2 Global for an HTC Thunderbolt?

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Rooting the thunderbolt is very simple, and loading a new ROM just takes a few minutes (downloading the ROM takes much longer than actually loading it).

At this we are close to the release of the vigor/rezound...so you might want to wait for that unless you have a financial constraint. I saw earlier today thunderbolt is 49 dollars for existing customers that qualify for an upgrade.

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

What spartanguy81 said. I am flashing different ROMs on my breaks at work. lol

Oh, and a similar process can be done to the D2G, however its ROMs do not have Sense. The Thunderbolt is hands down a better phone otherwise.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
What spartanguy81 said. I am flashing different ROMs on my breaks at work. lol

Oh, and a similar process can be done to the D2G, however its ROMs do not have Sense. The Thunderbolt is hands down a better phone otherwise.

I'd love to flash Sense 3.0 onto my D2G...I'm starting to think thgat HTC makes better phones than Motorola.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the thunderbolt is very simple, and loading a new ROM just takes a few minutes (downloading the ROM takes much longer than actually loading it).

At this we are close to the release of the vigor/rezound...so you might want to wait for that unless you have a financial constraint. I saw earlier today thunderbolt is 49 dollars for existing customers that qualify for an upgrade.

Wasn't the vigor/rezound once called the Droid Incredible HD? I'm going to look up some specs on it when I get home. Thanks for the heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87