Thunderbolt better with age

boochrisboo

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Just thinking how nice our thunderbolts have become... Sure we had issues at the beginning force closures, short battery life, and stuck with froyo much longer than we should have esp when the thunderbolt was Verizons "flagship" phone for awhile. Now with the patches and gingerbread a majority if not all our issues have been put to bed. Sure there are a few lemons in the bunch but overall our phone has matured into a great device. We have skype, netflix, hulu plus and really almost all apps work well on our phones..sure our screens are not as bright or as crisp as an SII or the new ONE X, and our camera kinda sucks but currently i dont feel i need to upgrade until something a lot better comes out. Overall i think the thunderbolt has come into its own and is a damn good device right now.

BCB

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
My Tbolt is a lot more stable. But lately I have been having a lot of lagging going on. with typing, opening and closing apps, sense always reloads when I exit out of an app.

Any thing I can do to speed this phone up a bit? I did go though and get rid of a lot of apps that I was not using, but i am still laggy.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP! Like a fine wine, it gets better with age! :p

Unless you got a lemon; hardware wise this phone is solid and still holds its own quite well against newer devices. And who dat say they got a better native kickstand? (hands down killer feature I use all the time and can't imagine not having!) :p Then add that all major software bugs have been swished and you are left with a stable, well running device. Awesome! :)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My Tbolt is a lot more stable. But lately I have been having a lot of lagging going on. with typing, opening and closing apps, sense always reloads when I exit out of an app.

Any thing I can do to speed this phone up a bit? I did go though and get rid of a lot of apps that I was not using, but i am still laggy.

Have you tried a power down and battery pull for five minutes after uninstalling unneeded apps? That may help to finish up any leftovers from app uninstall (kind of like rebooting your PC after uninstalling software). Otherwise, there's always the factory (master) reset to ensure a clean slate then install ONLY needed apps. A final resort and something else that could cause lag are left overs on the SD card. To ensure that's not an issue, back up data on it (to your PC), then format it and restore the data.

dnva75

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got a refurb after fighting battery issues for months and in Verizons defense, I never did anything about it until now. I can't believe how great this phone is. Getting a full day on a charge. Snappy interface. Great application support. I'm thinking my old one had some hardware issues from the beginning that was causing it to chew through the battery.

antbolt

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I never had problems with mine, well only the weak battery but other than that. I might go the other way and trying the iPhone 5 but I'll still keep my Tbolt just in case.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just thinking how nice our thunderbolts have become... Sure we had issues at the beginning force closures, short battery life, and stuck with froyo much longer than we should have esp when the thunderbolt was Verizons "flagship" phone for awhile. Now with the patches and gingerbread a majority if not all our issues have been put to bed. Sure there are a few lemons in the bunch but overall our phone has matured into a great device. We have skype, netflix, hulu plus and really almost all apps work well on our phones..sure our screens are not as bright or as crisp as an SII or the new ONE X, and our camera kinda sucks but currently i dont feel i need to upgrade until something a lot better comes out. Overall i think the thunderbolt has come into its own and is a damn good device right now.

BCB

IMO it's been a damn good device all along. Much maligned and incredibly underrated, the Thunderbolt has been beaten up it's whole life, and undeservedly so. The problems that the Tbolt has had have always been software issues, and ANY phone can have software problems. As a matter of fact, I don't think there's ever been an Android phone that was 100% perfect out of the box, and stayed so forever. I can think of very recent releases from Googorola that were trumpeted to be everything the Thunderbolt wasn't ... but came out with disappointing issues all their own. Thunderbolt was no different than any other in that regard. We sat back and waited for HTC to fix the issues it had - and they did. Sometimes it took longer than I wanted, and sometimes it took more than one shot to do it - but it got done. Mine doesn't spontaneously reboot anymore, and it no longer runs Froyo. I'm good.

Does the phone suck because it doesn't yet have ICS? Of course not. The fact that it doesn't have ICS sucks, but the phone doesn't. Perpective, folks.

Long Live the Thunderbolt. As long as HTC doesn't screw it up with a software update that introduces new issues I expect to have this phone right up to my upgrade date in November. I'll likely have it BEYOND that if Verizon doesn't come out with a new phone I really want.

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
IMO it's been a damn good device all along. Much maligned and incredibly underrated, the Thunderbolt has been beaten up it's whole life, and undeservedly so. The problems that the Tbolt has had have always been software issues, and ANY phone can have software problems. As a matter of fact, I don't think there's ever been an Android phone that was 100% perfect out of the box, and stayed so forever. I can think of very recent releases from Googorola that were trumpeted to be everything the Thunderbolt wasn't ... but came out with disappointing issues all their own. Thunderbolt was no different than any other in that regard. We sat back and waited for HTC to fix the issues it had - and they did. Sometimes it took longer than I wanted, and sometimes it took more than one shot to do it - but it got done. Mine doesn't spontaneously reboot anymore, and it no longer runs Froyo. I'm good.

Does the phone suck because it doesn't yet have ICS? Of course not. The fact that it doesn't have ICS sucks, but the phone doesn't. Perpective, folks.

Long Live the Thunderbolt. As long as HTC doesn't screw it up with a software update that introduces new issues I expect to have this phone right up to my upgrade date in November. I'll likely have it BEYOND that if Verizon doesn't come out with a new phone I really want.

I agree. I have no complaints about my phone. I never really had the restart problems or any other problems with it. It's certainly a lot better than the Droid Charge that my friend waited to get while badmouthing my Thunderbolt. He only had it for a few months before switching back to a Blackberry. Now that I think of it, everyone I know that bought a Charge no longer has it. The Thunderbolt is my first HTC phone, and I doubt I'll be choosing anything else for my next phone, but that won't be for a while because I'm pretty happy with my phone. I love when people ask me what phone I have and make a weird face or say, "Oh, sorry I asked," when I tell them I have an HTC Thunderbolt. I always reply, "Why are you sorry? Are you upset that you wasted your money on something else? Because I'm not sorry that I bought it." I had a Blackberry Storm before the Thunderbolt, so I'm still under the belief that my Thunderbolt is the greatest phone ever made.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt was no different than any other in that regard.
Well, there will never be another VZW 1st LTE phone. Never. The Thunderbolt will always hold that honor. I for one like that. Along with the fact that with all the updates it's perfect now.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Perfect for me. The camera rocks too! Have had since Aug. Love it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

I should have added that too. I think the Bolt's camera is excellent, and I thought the same of my Eris before it. Both take excellent photos.

One problem I have had with the camera, though, involves screen brightness. For me, the auto-brightness switch is turned OFF and the screen brightness setting is set to full-on high everytime I use the camera.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, there will never be another VZW 1st LTE phone. Never. The Thunderbolt will always hold that honor. I for one like that. Along with the fact that with all the updates it's perfect now.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I do like that fact too. I meant to point out that virtually every phone has its issues, be it the first LTE or the most recent.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

JolindaM

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
This IS the greatest phone ever. And being an 'oldster' (65 in June) learning new
tricks is a royal pain. After surviving the Blackberry Storm this phone rocks and I would love to NEVER get a new phone if that were possible...but for sure not until someone can convince me that they have new features worth all the pain of learning a new system.
And on that note, I must say, lots of things are better with age...like a 35 year marriage where we can actually talk honestly to each other...now we can talk on dope phones to each other!:-*:-*:-*