Can't charge and use kickstand at the same time?

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
That is because HTC sets landscape orientation as the bottom of the phone to the right. So that being said if you wanted to dock the phone into, say a charging car dock it would be in landscape mode ala OG droid. The fact that most HTC phones charge from the bottom has made it hard to find a really good car dock.
Yeah I'd rather have it on the side simply for car docking. I had a nice desk dock for my Droid 2, but rarely used it. The car dock however I used to and from work, which supplied any extra juice needed to get through the rest of the day.

Hopefully we'll see a good car dock for the Thunderbolt.

racinbill

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I will need to drill a hole in my nightstand. Kind of cool to hide the charging cable and all. Now to do it at work when no one is looking might be an issue.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Lead designer fired. I wouldn't buy the phone just for that reason. Why do I need to buy extra stands and docks for something with a friggin' kick stand? That's what it's there for...to help it stand up!

Maybe I'm a baby and complaining about it is pointless, but someone has to stand up for the "good" industrial designers of the world. Obviously the Thunderbolt team doesn't belong in that class.

totally agree. that is the sh!t that is starting to piss me off about all kinds of stuff for sale these days. these companies dont give a sh!t. they do not appreciate the fact that people are spending their hard earned money on these items. i find it all of the time, overall good product, then boom you discover one thing that is like, damn, really? did they really do that?

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care as long as there is a nice desktop dock like the one for the Dx. That dock alone almost made me buy the X. Other than at my desk/night stand the only other time I will really need to use the kick stand Is on flights and there isn't any wall sockets on many flights yet.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a short story that came to mind today. One day a delivery truck got stuck at the entrance to a tunnel in holland. the driver just didn't pay attention to the maximum height allowed.

So the call goes out far and wide for engineers all of to come and figure out how to get this wedged truck out of the tunnel. For days and days they struggled with ideas from cutting the truck apart, to ripping into the mountain side all of which were too costly and dangerous.

Then a small child comes along and asks all of these bright engineers what they were doing, and the child asked, why don't you deflate the tires to lower the truck and pull it out that way.

Everyone was dumbfounded and embarrassed to say the least and it worked.

I know you are asking what is my point to this, well its simple, I am sure HTC didn't put any thought into the cable issue and then I remembered how about a USB to microUSB cable with a 90 degree bend on the microuUSB end.

+"right angle" +"micro USB" - Google Product Search

Which cost about $2-3 dollars. Problem solved without any drilling.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
thats not the same. also it will be unlevel as well. nice find but still fail. this brings me to the point i was discussing with my wife the other day, why in the hell have manufacturers moved to putting charger ports on the side of phones. it drives me bonkers. not to mention most chargers sold in wireless stores are of the coiled variety. have you tried to talk while the tension of the cord is yanking on one side of the phone? ridiculous. these manufacturers need to use there head. it is mindboggling how some of these mistakes get by. that is one thing i will give apple, a locking connector on the bottom of the phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You may not think its the same, but its as close to a real solution as you are going to get outside of making a custom stand. HTC accessories, as usual are way behind for the TB. HTCPedia is showing the extended battery as late April, yes LATE APRIL. Seriously its the same battery they use in the other HTC devices it just needs a different door, so that is a fail. Especially if this phone was due out last November, they must have had the battery door done at that time.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You all realize that this design "flaw" was intentional, because HTC will come out with a home dock and expect you to use that for charging... therefore allowing you to watch videos in landscape while you charge through your "home dock" ;)

Just another reason to buy the home dock! So it is a win for HTC. Also, once the device is rooted you will be able to turn it the other way for landscape viewing and still charge... (although this would not allow for using the kickstand)

So this is not a big deal in my book!

Last edited:

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
You all realize that this design "flaw" was intentional, because HTC will come out with a home dock and expect you to use that for charging... therefore allowing you to watch videos in landscape while you charge through your "home dock" ;)

Just another reason to buy the home dock! So it is a win for HTC. Also, once the device is rooted you will be able to turn it the other way for landscape viewing and still charge...

So this is not a big deal in my book!

it has a freaking kickstand! it is a design flaw. if it didnt have a kickstand i would agree with you. if you are going to spend the money on designing and engineering a kickstand into it as a key feature you should be able to plug the damn thing in! if you are on the go, traveling, whatever there could be hundreds of different reasons to charge and stand. ridiculous! personally, i could give two ****s. ive never had a stand and never needed one. i dont use my phone like that. its just the point!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i totally understand that the placement of that port is not a mistake, it's a ploy, to sell lots of desk docks. But they're f'n their consumers over. YOU HAVE A KICKSTAND, SO YOU DONT NEED A DOCK. Except now you do, because they sabotaged most of what the kickstand is useful for.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If HTC comes out with a Dock then you could call foul and say its to sell a dock. Did HTC sell one for the Evo, do they sell any at all? I don't see how HTC is making money off of the accessible market, they don't have that rip off crap call "made for iPhone" which is simply an extortion racket that requires users to upgrade accessories every time they upgrade their devices.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Logic calling: the kickstand is for when you dont need to charge your phone the dock is for your video out and charging. And if you use the kick stand in the palm of your hand or on the dash of car, Jeff Foxworthy is thinking up a joke for you right now.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Logic calling: the kickstand is for when you dont need to charge your phone the dock is for your video out and charging. And if you use the kick stand in the palm of your hand or on the dash of car, Jeff Foxworthy is thinking up a joke for you right now.

your logic is flawed big time. you might be misinterpreting the need for this witch i admit is not a big one and the fact that if LOGICALLY DESIGNED, you should be able to prop the phone on the INTEGRATED KICKSTAND and charge the damn phone. period.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
@ raptor - Even if HTC doesn't make the desk dock for this phone, they're being paid by the third party company that does. and i dont believe this could be a mistake, they design the hell out of these things, they didnt just overlook the fact that while plugged in the kickstand is useless. and since its not a mistake, there has to be a reason for it, and that reason is most likely financial.

@tropper - we're talking desk docks not car dock or palm dock wtf those are ;)

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
your logic is flawed big time. you might be misinterpreting the need for this witch i admit is not a big one and the fact that if LOGICALLY DESIGNED, you should be able to prop the phone on the INTEGRATED KICKSTAND and charge the damn phone. period.
Who says that Propping the Damned phone is the way you should charge it you cant watch it while ya sleep and if seeing a the time is so important buy a clock. If you need to prop it on the table to watch while you charge you can pick it up just as easily as you are making a big deal out of not a big one as you put. So please dont charge my logic as flawed when if you looked at this from an outside the box you would have no reason to be upset.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i dont think either of you guys are using flawed "logic", bc this isnt really a question of logic anyhow, i just cant see how anybody would not want the convenience of using their kickstand that's built into their phone while they charge their phone at the same time. phone has a kickstand ---> so now i want to use the kickstand, even if i'm charging, regardless of what features of the phone i am using or not using at the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty