01-31-2011 09:58 AM
73 123
tools
    Then don't buy the phone. There is no way this can be changed on this phone, there is seriously no progress to be made by arguing about it now. All we can do is send our emails to HTC saying that we don't like it set up this way, and hope that they listen.
    i just noticed this issue after looking at promotional pics, started a thread about it, and i stand by what i said. It's stupid to have a kickstand that you can't use while charging (without a dock of some sort). does it mean i won't get the phone? i dunno.

anyway i think u should all relax and smoke some trees and be a little less uptight about phone forums

edit
    01-25-2011 01:11 PM
    As promised here is the reply to my very simple question about the Kickstand and charging it while in landscape mode or watching a movie in landscape mode etc.

Dear Raptor007,

Thank you for your email regarding the HTC Thunderbolt. While we do understand your concerns, the specifications and information for the Thunderbolt are somewhat limited. While we do understand your concerns, the information to properly answer your question is not available at this time. More information regarding the device specifications and abilities will be available as the phone nears official release.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact HTC Technical Support by phone at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,
    Dayton
    HTC

Well if that isn't sad, pathetic and no answer to a pretty obvious issue I don't know what is.
    reb422 likes this.
    01-25-2011 09:58 PM
    As promised here is the reply to my very simple question about the Kickstand and charging it while in landscape mode or watching a movie in landscape mode etc.

Dear Raptor007,

Thank you for your email regarding the HTC Thunderbolt. While we do understand your concerns, the specifications and information for the Thunderbolt are somewhat limited. While we do understand your concerns, the information to properly answer your question is not available at this time. More information regarding the device specifications and abilities will be available as the phone nears official release.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact HTC Technical Support by phone at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,
    Dayton
    HTC

Well if that isn't sad, pathetic and no answer to a pretty obvious issue I don't know what is.
    That's a pretty typical answer concerning a device or software that is yet to be released. As annoying as it is, I'm not surprised by that in the least.
    01-25-2011 10:02 PM
    that is sad
    01-25-2011 10:31 PM
    That's a pretty typical answer concerning a device or software that is yet to be released. As annoying as it is, I'm not surprised by that in the least.
    Actually I was to a degree. The device is on their web page, the accessories are already known and on order. The fact that this would not be something they have considered or plan to address can and will impact sales. The responder clearly has a script to go by but still disappointing.
    01-26-2011 12:23 PM
    I'm almost certain someone already asked this question, but when the kickstand isn't in place, wouldn't speaker clarity be an issue?

...Or am I an *****? Don't answer this second question.
    01-26-2011 08:33 PM
    I'm almost certain someone already asked this question, but when the kickstand isn't in place, wouldn't speaker clarity be an issue?

Thanks for asking.... I was wondering too?

Edit... I mean I was wondering if there would be issues with the speaker...not wondering if you were an *****
    01-26-2011 08:34 PM

i gotta answer it, man your an *****.

joking man, i wonder the same thing. but i hope/sure they thought about that.

if they did or didnt we will find out lol. i just want it to have a loud speaker phone an ringer.
    01-26-2011 08:36 PM
    More questions than answers these days
    01-26-2011 09:00 PM
    i gotta answer it, man your an *****.

joking man, i wonder the same thing. but i hope/sure they thought about that.

if they did or didnt we will find out lol. i just want it to have a loud speaker phone an ringer.
    I always thought I was an *****.. sigh you just confirmed that.

But yeah, whenever I listen to media on my phone, I always have earphones in, so I don't need it to be super loud for that. But I absolutely hate it when your ringer is muted because of a mediocre speaker. Phone looks so delicious though.
    01-26-2011 09:20 PM
    lol thanks for clarifying that bill. it would've been pretty hilarious had other members just ran with that
    01-26-2011 09:21 PM

in a video I saw the rep showing off the phone said the kickstand shouldn't be an issue. but they didn't test it, so I don't actually know.
    01-26-2011 09:51 PM
    I saw a video that indicated the smaller circle grill below the kickstand is the standard speaker, while the kickstand speakers are the bonus Dolby surround.

I'll try to post confirmation in the morning.
    hoonaynay likes this.
    01-27-2011 12:44 AM
    I saw a video that indicated the smaller circle grill below the kickstand is the standard speaker, while the kickstand speakers are the bonus Dolby surround.

I'll try to post confirmation in the morning.
    Oh that would be great. Then there's absolutely nothing keeping me from getting the phone when it's released.
    01-27-2011 01:34 PM
    I know I read here somewhere that the smaller circle below the kickstand was an additional antenna integrated into the battery door for weak signal areas. So which one is the real answer? Guess we have to wait.
    01-27-2011 09:15 PM
    Well it must have been my imagination because I can't find a video talking about that circle as a speaker. However I did find this video demonstrating clear sound while the kickstand is closed:

01-27-2011 11:07 PM
    haha. yeah i guess its loud enough if i can hear "touchdown" even with all of the people in that room. february can't come soon enough
    01-28-2011 09:31 PM
    This thread turned into a huge flame war for no reason...

Look guys, we all view this from a different perspective depending on what needs we particularly have.

Those that want to use the kickstand all day will see this as a huge design flaw; those that believe that HTC purposefully did this to exploit more money our of customers by "forcing" you to buy a secondary dock have every right to be upset; and finally those (like me) that would rarely leave the kickstand open for more than an hour at a time - which will be fine on battery power - see this as nothing more than a very mild inconvenience.

...and that's perfectly fine, we will all react to this differently depending on what we need/want from the phone. It's just a matter of perspective. But there is no reason to call someone names solely because they disagree with you. You can think this issue is a DEFCON 1, and he can see it as a DEFCON 5 (and vice-versa) without all the name-calling

You can disagree all you want, but please be respectful
    01-29-2011 03:28 PM
    You can disagree all you want, but please be respectful
    yup this isnt congress
    01-29-2011 03:41 PM
    Don't think for a second this was a design flaw or unintentional by any means. I would bet my house Verizon asked for this port to be put in that spot so they would sell more expensive accessories (charging dock). It's a very bold move but makes perfect sense financially since other kickstand phones (lookin' at you Evo) didn't really sell many docks at all, perfect solution! For them anyway, bummer for us.
    01-29-2011 08:04 PM
    Honestly I would be fine getting a dock for this phone yes it may suck that you can't charge the phones and use the kickstand but I would rather deal with this than not have it.
    01-29-2011 09:16 PM
    The SlashGear video showed the Verizon rep saying that even with the kickstand closed the speaker behind it would still produce sound, my guess is you will get the Dolby quality with it openend.
    01-29-2011 09:29 PM
    The SlashGear video showed the Verizon rep saying that even with the kickstand closed the speaker behind it would still produce sound, my guess is you will get the Dolby quality with it openend.
    Or maybe with it closed it creates some sorta resonance that helps two speakers produce a Dolby surround sound effect ?
    01-31-2011 09:58 AM
73 123