Will the TBolt make the bottom drop out on the Droid X?

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious to see some sort of slide or internal document showing what Verizon's life cycle for the Droid X (and other phones like the Fascinate) are. The Droid Eris had probably the shortest life cycle out of any Android smartphone to date, at least on Verizon.

Article in Phandroid back in Aug 2010 actually had a screenshot showing end-of-life for Droid X as 3/31/11.

Droid X and Droid 2 Already Getting Projected ‘End of Life’ Dates | Android Phone Fans

Don't know the accuracy of it, but seems logical with the Droid X2 being rumored for this summer, right?

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Quick facts:

Droid X: slow processor, less RAM, no FFC, 3G only
TBolt: faster processor, more RAM, FFC, 4G

Droid X is done.

The only way it will survive is if VZW charges extra $ per month for 4G. In that case I am leaving VZW all together.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Quick facts:

Droid X: slow processor, less RAM, no FFC, 3G only
TBolt: faster processor, more RAM, FFC, 4G

Droid X is done.

The only way it will survive is if VZW charges extra $ per month for 4G. In that case I am leaving VZW all together.

I can't argue with the specs. The TBolt is superior. I'll probably need to wait until the 24th so I can truly see the new smartphone 4G data plans. I just have a bad feeling that VZW will either add a surcharge to 4G data or restructure their current smartphone data plans to have caps if you go to 4G.

They have already said that IPhone 3G Unlimited data plans may be for a limited time so it makes me think capping even 3g could be a reality. I'm not as worried about that since I'll be grandfathered into unlimited 3g data but I am still nervous about what VZW may do to tweak their 4g data plans to their benefit.

If they allow early 4G phone users to get locked into unlimited 4G data plans for the same price as 3g and unlimited, I'll probably get a TBolt just to be grandfathered into unlimited 4g for when it finally hits my area.

I hope I am wrong and VZW keeps their data plans the same. If they do, many AT&T customers will have another reason to switch since AT&T already has data caps and are making those with grandfathered 3g data plans switch to a capped plan in order to use 4G. I really feel Verizon will try the same.

When I started the thread, I was basing it on the following assumptions:

1. 4G will cost more and/or have hard data caps.

2. I would rather keep my unlimited 3g data plan with no caps than switch to a 4g plan with hard caps.

If either 1 or 2 are correct, I will not be getting a 4g phone anytime soon and I don't use tons f data but having a truly unlimited plan is valuable to me.

If I don't get a 4G phone and prices are able to fall enough on the Droid X to make it dirt cheap, I would probably continue to recommend it to my brother since I know he'll tether more than I do now and probably use more data.

Of course, if VZW says "Hey, come on, get a 4G phone with the same great Unlimited Data plan at the same great cost!" then my advice will change drastically. Conceivably, if that was the case, many users could seriouslythink about dropping their uncapped DSL or cable connections and using VZW exclusively. Heck, some people may have already done that even though 3G will never be nearly as fast as cable or DSL.

odiej34

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope I am wrong and VZW keeps their data plans the same. If they do, many AT&T customers will have another reason to switch since AT&T already has data caps and are making those with grandfathered 3g data plans switch to a capped plan in order to use 4G. I really feel Verizon will try the same.
Att just offered unlimited data 4 G plans, I hope Verizon doe the same.

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-clarifies-their-4g-policy

Last edited:

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: RichardClark

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I think I saw somewhere that the Droid X was being sold at Costco for like $10.00. I think that might answer your question...

Click Here

Something tells me this has more to do with the Droid X 2 leaks than the TBolt, however.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
An interesting side note ... I checked yesterday and the Droid X was $199. So Verizon has dropped it since yesterday. Typically they do this when they introduce a new phone, and generally keep the same top price point of $199. I hope that this is a good sign that the TBolt is coming soon and will be introduced at $199 at VZW.

It's actually been $150 as an "Online-Only" price for about a week now. The Dinc too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74