Will the TBolt make the bottom drop out on the Droid X?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
First off, I posted this thread here because everyone knows that the TBolt is new technology and should be out very soon as opposed to some of the other phones on the horizon (i.e. the Bionic).

Secondly, members that regularly post here seem to have a pretty good understanding of new technology and like to be on the cutting edge.

Thirdly, there are some that regularly post here that also already have an DX so I am hoping they can relate and offer some advice.

My brother is planning to go to Verizon and I told him he could jump on my plan. I don't have a family share plan and am basically going to have to single lines under my account but each will qualify for my employee discount which is pretty good.

He wants a Droid X. I have a Droid X and honestly have been very happy with the phone.

He wants a new phone, but at this point in the game, the idea of paying $199.99 to VZW for antiquated technology to be locked into a 2 year contract just seems, well, dumb. Even paying $99.99 for a CPO on a 2 year plan seems, well, still dumb.

The DX is antiquated, but I still think it could be the right phone for him. I'm just hoping the price will start to drop, so that I can get a good used one for $200 or less with no contract. That will give him potentially more freedom in the future.

With that said: Here are my reasons why he shouldn't get a TBOLT: Please feel free to poke holes in these and play devil's advocate:

1. 4G phones will cost more. Now this isn't confirmed but I have a feeling VZW will find some way to alter their current 3G plans some way so that the consumer will pay more than we do now.

2. Data plans may not be unlimited.

Now if #1 & #2 end up being moot and Verizon offers all TBolt customers the ability to get unlimited 3G/4G data for 29.99 for even a limited time, I will force him to get a TBolt and I'll buy one off contract just to be grandfathered for when Verizon wakes up from that hangover and puts an end to that party.

3. We are not in a 4G Area and won't be for awhile.

4. The Droid X will definately allow him to keep an unlimited 3G data plan.

By brother is coming from BB and this will be his first android experience. He will really be using the phone for the following:

1. Texting 2. Voice to Text Feature 3. Mobile Hot Spot/Tethering after rooting the device.

While no one knows for sure, assuming that someone is planning to use their DX as a 3g modem/hotspot will the TBolt be much faster when acting a 3g modem/Mobile Hot spot?

Finally, and getting back to the title of this thread, does anyone think the TBolt will finally start to lower the market value of these DXs? As a side note, the DX2 just doesn't seem that worthwhile to upgrade and get locked into a 2 year contract for, so I am not that keen about trying to get him to wait for the DX2.

Obviously, a lot of this may become clearer when VZW announces their new 4G smartphone data plans.

Getting back to a 3G modem/hot spot, how much of the speed is due to the signal and strength of the network and how much is due to the peocessing power of the phone? Assuming that processing power of the DX compared to the TBolt/Bionic, DX2 will have little affect on the phone's success as a 3g Hotspot, that is another reason I am thinking that getting an original DX off contract for cheap may be better than getting a newer phone.

Last edited:

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a Dx as well and am getting the thunderbolt. The advantages that I see FOR ME are :

1. Getting back to touch buttons (I know this sounds lame but I'm soooo done with the hard buttons and the exertion it takes to press one)

2. Front facing camera / Skype

3. 4G

4. Sense UI (never tried it but looking foreward to it)

5. Kickstands

6. Hopefully louder sound on the tbolt. The x can be low when watching YouTube videos etc.

7. Screen colors etc look amazing.

8. Think I'm really gonna love the sense keyboard for the simple fact that they were smart enough to include directional arrows foe text navigation.

Guess that's about it for me. Those are the things I think the tbolt has over the DX. Hope that helps

odiej34

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I just sold My X yesterday for $405.00. It was rooted, came with multimedia dock, car dock, snap on clear case, two chargers and a hdmi cable. If you go the 2 year pricing wire-fly has it for FREE. So basically the X still has good resale value and I don't think that will change right away but it will eventually drop in price.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The X is not outdated. I would prefer the X over tb. tb isn't all that not worth a 2 year deal. And looking at HTC from mwc there still not any phones that can touch what LG or moto have done with there line up.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
x is only 150 now

An interesting side note ... I checked yesterday and the Droid X was $199. So Verizon has dropped it since yesterday. Typically they do this when they introduce a new phone, and generally keep the same top price point of $199. I hope that this is a good sign that the TBolt is coming soon and will be introduced at $199 at VZW.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i just read this thread and still have no clue what the title of this thread even means "bottom drop out" wtf is that supposed to mean lol

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
i just read this thread and still have no clue what the title of this thread even means "bottom drop out" wtf is that supposed to mean lol

He means will it see its sales drop dramatically and then get phased out quickly. I would guess that's likely true especially if LTE doesn't cost anything over regular 3G.

However, if the DX is $150 and the Bolt is $250 then that would make a difference. IMO the DX will get phased out soon because of the upcoming DX2 which had pics leaked the other day.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
He means will it see its sales drop dramatically and then get phased out quickly. I would guess that's likely true especially if LTE doesn't cost anything over regular 3G.

However, if the DX is $150 and the Bolt is $250 then that would make a difference. IMO the DX will get phased out soon because of the upcoming DX2 which had pics leaked the other day.

ok gotcha thanks for clarification i just never heard it said like that before

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
x is only 150 now

Thanks for pointing that out. I wish VZW would hurry up and say what exactly they are planning to do with their 4G data prices.

With that being said, it is always nice to see a price drop.

Of course, being that the original Droid is still available asa CPO for $29.99, VZW could be selling the DX for awhile.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The Droid X has been removed from the verizonwireless.com order site, except for a refurbished model. It was there this morning when I selected it to tinker around with some plan options. But now, *poof*.

Edit: Forgot to point at that Droid Life's tweet tipped me about the change.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious to see some sort of slide or internal document showing what Verizon's life cycle for the Droid X (and other phones like the Fascinate) are. The Droid Eris had probably the shortest life cycle out of any Android smartphone to date, at least on Verizon.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I would recommended the Thunderbolt. It seems like your biggest concerns are data related. So far all signs pointing to no change in plan. But time will tell.

The Thunderbolt is definitely better than the X in pretty much every.respect. Saying the Thunderbolt isn't worth getting locked into a two year for...umm, the X is? The Thunderbolt might not be the most cutting edge device to hit this year, but it is certainly more worthy of a two year lock in than a phone that has already been out for a long time.

The X is nice, but it is old, as far as tech is concerned. No reason not to get the latest thing if it is an option.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
4G is gonna be unlimited data at the same cost. The only company that has ever charged more was Sprint but now added the extra $10 a month to all it's Smartphones.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
4G is gonna be unlimited data at the same cost. The only company that has ever charged more was Sprint but now added the extra $10 a month to all it's Smartphones.

I keep seeing this brought up... Do you have any links to suggest LTE will still be $29.99 and unlimited. I'm asking sincerely :)