What is that little circle on the back for?

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the purpose is for that little circle underneath the back speaker & kickstand. It must have some function because there's a cutout for it in the cases I've seen. Ambient light sensor? Tiny tweeter? Holographic emitter? Coffee dispenser? Does anyone know for sure?

thumb_550_htc-thunderbolt.jpg

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Been wondering the same thing myself. I thought it was a screw covered with a rubber plug, but the cases I've seen had me wondering if that was the case (*rimshot*). Although, I've only seen case pics, so maybe they assumed it was important in the renderings and left a hole (since I'm doubting they actually have a TB on hand, the pics have to be renderings, no?)? Maybe the actual cases don't have the cut out?

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember where I read this, so I don't have a link, but it's part of the antenna that is visible externally. This is something new HTC is doing with their phones. On the EVO Shift, you can see the motor responsible for vibration when you take off the battery door. On the Bolt, this small part of the antenna is exposed.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of everything from an external antenna, NFC button to a rubberized cover for a screw for the kickstand. Whatever it is its important since they're making cases with cutouts for it.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where I read this, so I don't have a link, but it's part of the antenna that is visible externally. This is something new HTC is doing with their phones. On the EVO Shift, you can see the motor responsible for vibration when you take off the battery door. On the Bolt, this small part of the antenna is exposed.

You can see the motor on the TB too! There's a vid by AC that shows it (it's the rebooting one).

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Mics are usually just little pin holes though, aren't they? What about a proximity sensor? What do those normally look like?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
When the first pics came out I thought it was a speakerphone and the speaker behind the kick stand would be used only for media.. Now it looks like some kind of rubber. Maybe it just protects the back of the phone when its laying down. Who knows.... its a surprise.:confused:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you are right. If you lay it down on it's face it turns the speakphone function on and that is the mic.
My HTC Touch Pro2 does that and I love it. Very convenient. What worries me about the TBolt is that it seems that the speaker is under the kickstand, so how does the speakerphone work when you lay it face-down without opening the kickstand? Seems like the sound would be muffled.

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty