Leave Stand Alone GPS On or Off?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see where having GPS enabled uses much of anything. If you open an app, like Maps or Navigation and the GPS becomes active, then sure, its going to use power. But I would bet that it would be minor compared to the display being on all the time and 3G or 4G downloading maps while the vehicle is moving. Thats why it needs to be plugged in.

I leave mine enabled and see no battery impact at all.

Mooch10

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't see where having GPS enabled uses much of anything. If you open an app, like Maps or Navigation and the GPS becomes active, then sure, its going to use power. But I would bet that it would be minor compared to the display being on all the time and 3G or 4G downloading maps while the vehicle is moving. Thats why it needs to be plugged in.

I leave mine enabled and see no battery impact at all.
I have to agree

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, I leave all 3 settings enabled (only way I can get a timely lock, otherwise it's on par with the Fascinate) and haven't noticed any added drain. Unless you have an app actively using it, leaving it enabled isn't going to really do anything.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Well, here's what Cory says in THIS post:

"Settings > Location Settings:
Location settings: It's a common misconception that checking one or more of these boxes increases battery consumption. It's the apps - that use GPS - that will affect battery consumption. Leave all of these checked if you have configured an app (like weather) or plan on using another app that uses GPS (like Nav). The GPS radio will only be active when these apps are in use."

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In the beginning, I left GPS off, but after reading and testing, I see that there is very little extra battery drain, actually 0 for the most part. So I leave it on. One less step I have to take when I want to use an app that uses the GPS.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried having all three on for the better part of the day and my battery was noticeably down more than usual. I suspect these settings for being the cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87