Unusually dead in 6 hours

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am still new to the Android experience, and the TB is my first Droid phone. I have followed many of the tips I have read about here and my battery life isn't all that bad. I have had no problem getting through a normal day. Typically I charge the TB before I go to sleep at night and it lasts me through the following day. It drops 10-20% overnight.

Last night I did the usual cycle, but something caused it to drain completely in about 5 hours and my alarm didn't go off this morning since it was dead. This is the first time I have had any kind of issue like this and I don't know where to look for a solution...The TB charged this morning and has been steady all day with no big drain.

Anyone have an issue like this out of the blue?

mc21

May 8, 2010
Visit site
i had a few random times where my battery would drain excessively for no reason. no apps running in the background besides the norm. only thing i could guess was something signal related. also you way want to leave wifi on when at your apartment. this would prevent it from toggling between 3g and 4g constantly. this would help battery if that was the cause.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Could be a number of things, but off the top of my head the 2 most likely candidates are:

1. An app was running and/or updating, causing higher drain on the battery

2. The network signal strength was weak

Did you install any new apps that may be running in the background, or forget to close one after you used it? For example, I recently downloaded the MLB app for score updates...without realizing it updated constantly in the background and quickly ate my battery...so I uninstalled it.

As far as #2 is concerned, I'll second mc21's recommendation above. I leave WIFI on at home and work (even though 4G is sometimes faster) to help save battery. Just remember to switch WIFI off when not in range of a network for prolonged periods of time.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all who replied.

Could this be the reason?

I tried an experiment last night by turning off Background Data under Accounts and Sync settings. The only thing I have syncing is weather every 3 hours during the night. If weather tried to sync and failed would it get "stuck" constantly trying?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hell the same thing happened to me last night. I dont know it never happened before. My phone was fully charged when I went to bed and the phone was totally dead in the morning. I thought it had randomly shut down but when I turned it back on the battery led was flashing. I was kinda surprised for a bit. No apps were running in the background I have all the sync disabled except for my email.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
NKD,
what part of the Country are you in? I have a 4 bar 4G signal at my house, but I'm wondering if Verizon had some kind of issue last night?

greyski

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I had huuuge issues in Somerville last night - looks like they were doing work on the network - for a bit it was showing LTE as roaming then going from 1x to 3g to 4g.... pffbt. I dropped 45% of my charge in about 90 minutes. Power cycled, spare parts showed android system and dialer using a lot more than normal partial wake usage. Even when connected to wifi it was still dropping like a stone. Not in airplane mode though.

Here's to hoping they get the network together soon!

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My Phone had same issue twice.

I usually do the same thing, charge 100% at night and the put it by bed for alarm. So far it went completely dead only 2 days out of 20 days i had this phone. Looks like 10% failure to me.

I must say something is wrong...

xsbum

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for just this topic, I've had that problem now two nights in row. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks and the last two mornings, I've woken up to a dead phone, eventhough it was plugged and suppose to be charging.

Any other thoughts or solutions? The TB is my first Droid phone as well.

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for just this topic, I've had that problem now two nights in row. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks and the last two mornings, I've woken up to a dead phone, eventhough it was plugged and suppose to be charging.

You are not the only one, looks some of us are having this issue. I haven't found a reason why it happened. I am guessing it's a bug. I love the Tbolt but I have to say I am very very disappointed with the number of issues i had to deal with.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Funguy,

I have read that using wi-fi when available instead of 4G uses less battery, so I usually turn on wi-fi at night and uncheck mobile network which I guess disconnects the 4G. That is what I meant by leaving on network.

Mine was fine last night. In fact it only dropped 10%. I'm still at 60% with 2:50:10 of AWAKE time. I can't complain too much about that.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

It sounds like you have something running in the background that is killing your battery. How much time do you get out of it during the day? Are you in a strong 4G area? Signal strength can be a real killer....

snowxracer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I experienced the same problem. I unplug at 4:45am, Wifi all day at work, and Wifi in the evenings at home, and I am at 30% at 10pm. This is very typical for me. Yesterday when I got home from work, the battery was dead at 6pm. Today, everything is back to normal and I am at 66% at 6pm. No idea why, but there was some excessive drain for my phone to be dead that quick.

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
yes i also have this problem. especially on days when i have lab. The connection in the area is spotty, and my battery drops like a rock on jupiter. once i get out I'm usually set. also there are other times where my battery gets really hot, and it starts dropping rapidly. a reboot usually does the trick. I'm assuming it was because i left an app open or something. it's only happened about twice. but i'm use to it. quick reboot and I'm set. I came from a blackberry, so a reboot doesn't bother me, considering I'm use to 10 min reboots lol.