Dumb move by verizon

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's ridiculous but expected. We lose our New Any Two promotion so we're stuck with the same phone for two years before we can get a discount if we choose a two year contract. And unless Verizon is nice, we're in trouble if our phone breaks after the one year warranty. I may have insurance but I will not pay an extra $2 a month for an extended warranty from the time I purchase my phone. After the year it's acceptable but not before and they don't allow this.

I swear, I love Verizon but this is getting ridiculous. Thanks Verizon, this nearly ensures many customers will either be stuck paying retail for a phone every other year if we want new technology or even if our device breaks.

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Stupid move but it was bound to happen. I'd even have been ok if they said we were adding an extra $100 to their prices. With the possible AT&T/T-Mobile merger I don't know why they would do this.

Look for the Charge to come out before this. Usually when they do this some new phone gets announced right before. Sucks for those going to the Inc2.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I hate it but am not surprised. We've been reading for a long time that all the carriers were looking for ways out of the phone subsidizing paradigm. This looks like a move in the retreating direction. There'll be many less "subsidized upgrades" this way.

-Frank

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Hey things just keep getting better right ... I mean afterall verizon is doing this to make it easier on us ... to be honest this kind of stuff just seems to be happening all over lately and it really pisses me off, they just keep forcing the consumer to bend over further and further and in these terrible economic times its basically unethical in my opinion, I honestly would love to see the government actually do something about it, but they're too busy with other crap to worry about poor old consumer us

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess the best thing in the midst of this is that the bolt came out before this happened and those of us who signed a 1 year were lucky to still have that option available to us ... The droid charge was hinted at being released today wasnt it? but didn't happen, anyone else think this device may now get "delayed" until this new policy takes effect?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd be incredibly happy with the European model of no contracts, reduced monthly costs, and no subsidies.

I've heard Japan residents don't purchase phones. They are able to rent the device since technology changed so much it would be ridiculous to buy a new phone every so many months. I'd be up for that lol.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've heard Japan residents don't purchase phones. They are able to rent the device since technology changed so much it would be ridiculous to buy a new phone every so many months. I'd be up for that lol.

sounds pretty good to me, sign a 6 month rental agreement and if your responsible and keep the phone in good working order and relatively blemish free you dont get penalized, which would require you to purchase the device ... I could live with this

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
another oops slipped by AC staff posting. well you want me to keep my phone for 20months then don't kill my phone after 8months. the phone needs to be available for the two year deal. when I buy my Droid Bionic I'm walking into VZW with a large tub of vasoline. oh thank you iPhone for making my life a living hell on the best network. wish you would have stayed at at&t!

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
another oops slipped by AC staff posting. well you want me to keep my phone for 20months then don't kill my phone after 8months. the phone needs to be available for the two year deal. when I buy my Droid Bionic I'm walking into VZW with a large tub of vasoline. oh thank you iPhone for making my life a living hell on the best network. wish you would have stayed at at&t!

The iphone has no bearing on this, you can only get a 2-year contract as it stands with the iphone. It's got nothing to do with the iphone, but rather a concerted move by Verizon that began with the iphone.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I DON'T THINK ANYONE READ IT FULLY BECAUSE THOSE OF US WITH CORP DISCOUNTS STILL CAN HAVE 1 YEAR CONTRACTS!

I'm yelling because no one on the blogs seem to mention that fact, and there's a lot of us with those discounts.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Those standards are for the device Verizon sends you in return for your defective phone. There are no signs that VZW intends to void warranties for a few scratches or dings.

Partially leaked internal documents can cause confusion.

I'm speaking of the shipping charges more than anything. It does seem pretty clear that the device can't be damaged beyond a certain extend. However, I always thought this was the case anyways.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I DON'T THINK ANYONE READ IT FULLY BECAUSE THOSE OF US WITH CORP DISCOUNTS STILL CAN HAVE 1 YEAR CONTRACTS!

I'm yelling because no one on the blogs seem to mention that fact, and there's a lot of us with those discounts.

Sure about that? Looks like employee liable consumers are NOT eligible for 1 yr contracts.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sure about that? Looks like employee liable consumers are NOT eligible for 1 yr contracts.

Our discount does not entitle us to a one year contract. Those excluded from the new rule appear to be the corporations themselves with multiple phones who have actual business deals with Verizon.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm speaking of the shipping charges more than anything. It does seem pretty clear that the device can't be damaged beyond a certain extend. However, I always thought this was the case anyways.

Makes sense. The shipping charges are not a good policy, especially if the phone is completely dead / unusable. The article was discussing this policy as if a scratch voided the warranty, which is what I was responding to.

Regarding the contracts, I understand the business aspect of wanting 2 year contracts, but it does hurt those who like to have the latest phone. They should have at least offered some plan for upgrading phones yearly at a slightly higher cost, but they seem to have killed that option off too.

What would be best is if they would take the T-Mobile route of offering discounted month-to-month service for buying the device at full retail pricing or bringing your own device, which will be made easier with the switch to using SIM cards rather than an ESN / MEID for authenticating the phone on the network.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to the Thunderbolt 2 weeks ago on a 1 year. By the time I am eligible to upgrade, it will be tiered data. I guess I will seriously be looking at sprint at that time. I know I have to sign a 2 year with them, but they might still at least be unlimited data. If the Droid Charge comes out before they get rid of 1 year contracts, I might upgrade my wifes line with the droid charge on a 1 year and then put her LG Dare back on the line and sell the charge, that way I can at least make some money since my line would be under contract.

Verizon is really starting to piss people off. And AT&T is saying that their buyout of TMobile is a good thing. I only forsee worse things to come if that buyout is allowed.