BATTERY UPDATE.....At Least That is what VZW and HTC Told me

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So I just got off the phone (1/2 hour worth) with VZW and HTC. I first called Verizon and calmly and professionally let them know that the battery life on the Thunderbolt is completely unacceptable. The rep was nice and courteous, but could only offer me a extended battery at a 35% discount......no thanks, I like my phone thin, and in the case.

I was then transferred to HTC Customer Service at (866) 449-8358. Spoke to CSR, again nice and professional. Gave them the unacceptable battery life story. He could not do anything for me, but did state they are aware of the problem, and are currently working on it. I then asked what they were "WORKING ON", his was response was that an OTA fix, or a complete battery replacement (possibly a bigger battery)for the phone. I asked for a time frame, and got the stereotypical......unknown at this point.

I love my phone, and the battery has been ok. I had it working great after about a week of conditioning (have had since launch). As of late it seems that it is not holding a charge as long again. I am in San Francisco, CA so I have 4G all the time. At home I use wireless. I am unrooted and run stock everything, I am NOT syncing continually, screen is at 25%, and I have light to moderate use. I am getting about mixed days as of late some days phone is dead in 5 hours, some days last 16 hours.....

Just wanted to give a heads up on the latest info from HTC that was given to me via CSR.....Also everyone should call the above number and let them know how you feel about the stock battery, and why they would ship such a small battery with such a powerful phone...maybe this will get the OTA out faster or battery replacement. CHEERS!

Reactions: rbo18 and Moganus

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems they have been working on several problems for a while almost as if that is a standard answer. in any event thanks for your input

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I would be pissed if they start shipping bigger batteries with the TB. They better at least offer current customers the battery for free. That's total trash.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I really am amazed at the people who have survived this long on stock battery without being rooted. The difference from stock, and having a undervolted kernel is night and day.

Before I was getting 6-12 hrs (heavy-moderate usage), now I'm at 14-20 hrs. I'm in 4G 90% of my day as well

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
An OTA update would be great. Not sure I'd want another extended battery. Maybe if they send those out they will credit those of us that paid for one!

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I really am amazed at the people who have survived this long on stock battery without being rooted. The difference from stock, and having a undervolted kernel is night and day.

Before I was getting 6-12 hrs (heavy-moderate usage), now I'm at 14-20 hrs. I'm in 4G 90% of my day as well

Not having ever rooted or flashed a phone, could you explain this process? I've read the various rooting threads. Is it as simple as running the (essentially) one click root then installing an app then undervolting?

What app? How much undervolting?

Sorry if this is Root 101 but I like Sense and the stock ROM. Would just like more battery life.

Reactions: canesfan44

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents, but I thought the extended (2750) battery looked ugly at first, but after getting it, it really doesn't look too bad. And the battery life is just amazing; I can use it for three days in a row, having it on for a total of 8~ hours each day, with about an hour or two each day of e-mail, Facebook, and web browsing (all on 4G, mind you), and only be down to a little over 50% of the battery left. Comparatively, I'd be down to about 60% in one day, on the stock battery. Just something to think about.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Not having ever rooted or flashed a phone, could you explain this process? I've read the various rooting threads. Is it as simple as running the (essentially) one click root then installing an app then undervolting?

Sorry if this is Root 101 but I like Sense and the stock ROM. Would just like more battery life.

Here is a good write up on root

There is not a one-click method out, but an auto root is available. You will also find an excellent guide from Cyber Warrior for flashing roms/kernels in the rooting section as well.

There are many different types of kernels out there. Most if not all rely on an app called SetCPU to configure properly. In the guide I referred to from Cyber Warrior, there is a link to a list of all roms and kernels with download links, and info from all the developers.

It's not that hard to do, just make sure you follow directions closely. You can experiment with different kernels and see which one works for you the best. Good luck!

Jasoninator

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you follow the directions here

Any specific questions and you can PM me, I stop by here fairly often.

lippstuh

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If they keep "working" on things i hope the get 2.3.3 out sense 3.0, multimedia dock, slim extended battery and i'm sure all of us will be pretty happy

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I would be pissed if they start shipping bigger batteries with the TB. They better at least offer current customers the battery for free. That's total trash.

From what I understood of the conversation, they would be sending those of us with the original stock a replacement battery, and start manufacturing with a bigger battery.....which they should have done in the first place if they do not send out the OTA. We will see.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
From what I understood of the conversation, they would be sending those of us with the original stock a replacement battery, and start manufacturing with a bigger battery.....which they should have done in the first place if they do not send out the OTA. We will see.

So you mean they would be sending us a bigger stock battery the same size as the newly manufactured bigger stock batteries? I can handle that!

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So you mean they would be sending us a bigger stock battery the same size as the newly manufactured bigger stock batteries? I can handle that!

Yes from what I gathered of the conversation. This is what the HTC CSR stated, not a VZW CSR. Again we will see......so goes the saying believe it when I see it, either the OTA or a new improved slim exteneded battery in my hand......Holding breathe startinggggggg.........now!

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Yes from what I gathered of the conversation. This is what the HTC CSR stated, not a VZW CSR. Again we will see......so goes the saying believe it when I see it, either the OTA or a new improved slim exteneded battery in my hand......Holding breathe startinggggggg.........now!

Ok, I took a breath...:)