Can't search for contacts in the people app since MR2 update.

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed that when I go into the people app and try to search for a name in my contacts it no longer searches. I used to be able to start inputing the name and it would begin to narrow down the contacts as I type. Now nothing happens. Has any one else noticed this? Or is there a setting or something that I'm missing?

Last edited:

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just tested it. I opened people and hit the search capacities key. Typed in a name and nothing happened. Hit enter on keyboard and nothing happened.

Then I hit search a second time and it worked. So it seems that you have to hit search key, type a name in, and then hit search to execute.

Reactions: Slapnpop826

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed that when I go into the people app and try to search for a name in my contacts it no longer searches. I used to be able to start inputing the name and it would begin to narrow down the contacts as I type. Now nothing happens. Has any one else noticed this? Or is there a setting or something that I'm missing?
Have you checked People | Menu | View and ensured that all the areas are checked?

-Frank

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just tested it. I opened people and hit the search capacities key. Typed in a name and nothing happened. Hit enter on keyboard and nothing happened.

Then I hit search a second time and it worked. So it seems that you have to hit search key, type a name in, and then hit search to execute.

That worked. Thanks. I wonder if it's a bug or a change on purpose.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That worked. Thanks. I wonder if it's a bug or a change on purpose.
I have always used the capacitance Search key to do this. It's by design AFAIK. On the stock TBolt that I have, and I have never loaded any other keyboard or Loader at all, the keyboard is not even present to type the query into until after I hit the capacitive search button. Then, when I start typing, I see the contact I want on the list, I just tap on it. I don't have to hit search "again". Nothing has changed with MR2 for me.

-Frank

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have always used the capacitance Search key to do this. It's by design AFAIK. On the stock TBolt that I have, and I have never loaded any other keyboard or Loader at all, the keyboard is not even present to type your query into until after I hit the capacitive search button. Then, when I start typing, I see the contact I want on the list, I just tap on it. I don't have to hit search "again".

-Frank
That is how I remember it working on MR1. However that does not seem to be the way it works in MR2. Open people, tap search key, start typing. Nothing happens until you tap the search key a 2nd time.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That is how I remember it working on MR1. However that does not seem to be the way it works in MR2. Open people, tap search key, start typing. Nothing happens until you tap the search key a 2nd time.
Followed your instructions exactly. Still works fine for me. I suspect some folks might have inadvertently re-arranged their tabs on the bottom (hold and drag the "All" tab furthest to the left).

-Frank

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think we have a misscomm here. Yes when you hit search the second time it works, but didn't it used to show results as soon as you began typing? I think this is what the OP was getting at. Having to hit search after entering a value to execute the search is not the expected behavior.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we have a misscomm here. Yes when you hit search the second time it works, but didn't it used to show results as soon as you began typing? I think this is what the OP was getting at. Having to hit search after entering a value to execute the search is not the expected behavior.
Oh, holy cow! It does work for me as I described, but... I am running MR1. SORRY! There has been so much banter here (erroneous) about the official MR2 being released, that I forgot for a minute that it was all bogus info. We're still waiting for MR2 (official). Sorry about that! That is kind of a bummer about the way it works on MR2 (leaked) though. I hope that is something they fix for the official MR2 release. Seems as if this is something interrelated to the HTC Sense Interface. Perhaps HTC will get it right for the official (in opposition to the leaked). We'll see.

-Frank

Alma

May 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm just curious: Why don't you just press the Search key without bothering to open People first?

The results seem to be the same; however, I am on MR1.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious: Why don't you just press the Search key without bothering to open People first?

The results seem to be the same; however, I am on MR1.

Because I am a noob. There, I said it. Happy now?

LOL. Never thought of that. Of course it took me like 10 min to figure out to use the search when inside an app to behind with. So much ti learn now....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87