Sudden Battery Issue

rhelfand

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank GOD, I thought I was losing my mind! Same thing is happening to me. I'm rooted running BAMF 1.7, but everything was really smooth until a few days ago so I'm thinking application update also.

Is there a way to examine the application files to see when they were last updated? Perhaps we can narrow this down.

rhelfand

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just for grins, I'm going to list the apps I have in common with Drootz. Maybe we can narrow down.

angry birds, angry birds rio
amazon app store
barcode scanner
color note
flex T9
launcherpro (not Plus)
yahoo mail app
mybackuppro
google reader
rom manager
espn score center
shootme
superuser
swiftkey (not sure about beta)
titanium backup
tune in radio pro
watchdog (similarly I installed this after I noticed the issue)
yelp

Reactions: Drootz

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've posted about this issue too many times to count.

Install a process monitor like System Panel or OSMonitor. Then when it happens, launch it and look at CPU usage. You'll find something running your CPU to 100%, non-stop.

In my case, it's not some random app -- it's "Android System", and the specific process is "system_server". Google "Android System" and "battery drain" and you'll find it's been doing it on various devices since Android was released, and Google has done nothing to fix it (or even address it -- look at the Android dev site if you don't believe me -- hundreds of complaints).

This happens to me about once a week and it usually takes 4 or 5 reboots to get it to stop. Of course, this happens after my battery is down 70-80% after 2 hours off the charger. I did notice that occasionally if I reboot in a strong signal area, it resolves much quicker (fewer reboots).

I've asked the so-called "experts" at XDA for help, and no one there cares. Even tried their IRC when it's packed -- no help. Maybe someone here can run with it... Doubtful. :-\

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've posted about this issue too many times to count.

Install a process monitor like System Panel or OSMonitor. Then when it happens, launch it and look at CPU usage. You'll find something running your CPU to 100%, non-stop.

In my case, it's not some random app -- it's "Android System"
Really, the problem is that "some random app" can (and do) use the "Android System" processes. Therefore it may be reported as "Android System" when actually it is "some random app".

-Frank

areyow

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have major issues with this as well. Recently, my phone has been crazy slow to charge (off the wall, not via USB on my computer), and it dropped from 80% to 4% in three hours. The entire time, the battery was on fire in my pocket (insert joke here), and even after powering it down, it seemed to not cool down for a long long time.

Additionally, I've been plagued for the last few weeks with constant power-down issues, where my phone will just randomly turn off for no reason. It never happens when being charged, but I somewhat assumed that it was an issue with the phone overheating, as it is REALLY HOT all the time.

I'm growing sadder and sadder that I didn't return the phone at the last time I could. I want to like the phone, and have constantly defended it (accepting its battery-destroying for what it is), but man... this phone feels plagued with issues.
:(

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Count me in. I've been doing some tests each day to see if I can figure out whats going on. Never had any battery problems until I flashed the MR2 radio and the Bamf GB rom. I'm not sure if its the rom or the radio. If I can't figure this out I'm gonna have to go back to the old radio.. everything was working fine for me with that radio... had good battery life and I wasnt even getting the reboot problem that everyone else seem to be experiencing. My phones draining from fully charged in about 5 hours with barely any use. I was originally getting through the whole day without having to charge. Now I'm charging my phone by noon and then again around 5pm.

UPDATE on my status:

Everything is back to normal.:cool: Not sure exactly what the cause was since I changed a few things but battery life is good and back to the way I had it. For me it was most likely a problem with the rom I'm using and some of the settings. I ended up doing a data wipe of the phone, reflashed the rom again, changed some system apps that I shouldn't have probably froze, uninstalled a ringtone app that I downloaded around the time I noticed the problem and uninstalled SetCPU since the rom I'm using has it built in and the kernel has a profile setting to lower the CPU when the screen is off already built in.. so there was no need for the app. I also recalibrated the battery.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What's weird to me is with the stock battery I drop from 100% to 80% and so on pretty dang quickly. With the extended battery from Verizon (2750mAh) it drops very slowly. I get that it's a bigger battery but it is lasting a LOT more than double my stock battery. I really think the stock battery I got is bad because it has never held a good charge for me. I love using the extended battery because it lasts so dang long but it adds some heft/bulk which can be annoying at times.

I've also heard over at XDA some people say the Amazon App Store was sucking their battery dry. They reported they froze it using TiBu and it got much better. The downside to doing this is that every app you got from them is now useless because you need the Amazon App Store on your phone and to be signed in to use apps from there which is complete B.S.!!!

Last edited:

fretwire

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe its the Android sms app, whatever that's called. I think the app has a memory leak. I've noticed that when I txt and send or receive a picture is when the problem starts. It's easy to miss because I would text late at night when my phone was on the charger. The next day it would start the drain.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So last night phone was fully charged before I went to bed at 1:41AM and I made sure to power off the phone to get a little bump charge before leaving for work this morning.

This AM I try to turn phone on and Nothing.....Same thing as before, no green led, nothing.....Did a battery pull and put back in and phone booted up just fine.

So any idea's on what could be doing this since the phone was off? Last time this happened battery was also dead this time it happened battery still had life.

I deleted one app (permission dog) I think was causing the battery to drain faster and have been getting much better battery life, but this issue of having to do a battery pull to boot the phone is strange to say the least. It's only the second time it's happened but I don't want it to be a regular thing either.

I think the battery might be defective, but any other ideas of what could be going on.