VZW charges for rooted

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I guess this makes since I thought if ur rooted, and something breaks whether rooting caused it or not ur better off "looking" your phone (in all honesty I've never needed to do that but I have had a friend or two do it and I don't blame em). On the other hand, they want us to pay full retail price for sending it in like that, ok, but what would they say if I didnt feel like paying my bill for a phone with a faulty software update that they sent me. My phone reboots and I don't think I should be paying they same as someones who doesn't. Makes since to me.

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure why this would be a surprise. Rooting voids the warranty. Period. If you need to send a rooted phone back for repair, you either need to return it to stock first or make sure it does not start at all. And to be clear, I am not promoting falsifying the reason for returning units...To be quite honest, it is these fraudulent acts that drive the price of the insurance and the devices themselves up.

If you root, you need to remember that if you want to play like a sport, you could pay like a sport.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
We all know rooting our phones voids the warrenty but even if your phone breaks like the power button VZW will still charge you full price if you return a rooted phone

Verizon Begins Charging Full Price of Warranty Phones if Rooted? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

They should charge even if you have a broken power button or other "under warranty item" because, guess what, you did something to void your warranty that covers those things so too bad for those that that happens to.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
doesn't this violate MM? i mean, if your phone bricks and it's rooted, of course, i would not expect verizon to warranty it, but if the power button or volume rocker goes out due to a mechanical defect, i don;t see how they could say the root caused that.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing about the rooted part however I've sent two Droid incredibles back because of faulty hardware , I didn't break it it just stopped working . I think if HTC says ok to unlocked bootloaders that should overide vzw . If I broke my phone due to rooting then its my fault but bad hardware isn't