Google Navigator Voice

caj27

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
In my family we used Google Navigator to get around DC, and we used it on our two smartphones: HTC Evo 4G LTE (wife) and Samsung Galaxy S2 (husband).

We recently switched to Verizon, and we both now have Samsung Galaxy Note 3s. The voice in the Google Navigator is harder to understand: it sounds more like a robot. What is up with that? Anybody know how to change the voice on Google Navigator?

Thanks!

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
There is another thread on this .... Have to have Developer options on (tap System Settings/Android Verion 7 times to turn on or off). Then go into Language & input settings/Text-to-speech options/Install voice data .... etc. You will end up downloading an 80mb file to change ... hope this helps :)

Cheers, Jon

caj27

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
There is another thread on this .... Have to have Developer options on (tap System Settings/Android Verion 7 times to turn on or off). Then go into Language & input settings/Text-to-speech options/Install voice data .... etc. You will end up downloading an 80mb file to change ... hope this helps :)

Cheers, Jon

Thanks. I see there are options. Tapping the Android version x 7 is pretty weird. I'm not sure I'm in developer mode, but I can see the text-to-speech options. That's good.

P.S. I searched for the solution to this problem in this Note 3 Verizon forum but didn't get results using keywords "voice" and "navigator." Maybe I needed to step-up one level to any Note 3 device.

OKATVRIDER

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
U have to download the tts from Samsung apps store. It's like 80mb give or take. Go to text to talk and listen for the example and it will give u option to download it...

Posted via Android Central App

ddhockey

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
U have to download the tts from Samsung apps store. It's like 80mb give or take. Go to text to talk and listen for the example and it will give u option to download it...

i did this with the standard text to talk app and it seems to have carried over -

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to have dev options to change the voice on the navigation. Just go into Samsung app and download the hd voice

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
She almost sounds sexy hahah

That's the trouble. Her voice is husky with a sort of hiss at the end of each word. I just find a man's voice more clear, preferably with a mid-western twang. Even though I'm from New England and don't pronounce r's it is easier to understand someone who does.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Someone should sell sexy voice packs for the navigation. They would probably make a decent amount of money.

I just want to understand the voice. I'll find my own sexy voices... Hopefully. I must admit I am totally in love with that kindle helper girl.

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I just want to understand the voice. I'll find my own sexy voices... Hopefully. I must admit I am totally in love with that kindle helper girl.

She's pretty good! I thought that the Snoop Dogg Garmin GPS add on would open the door for other add ons.

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
You could also try the Waze app. I like it much better than the Google navigation. Google recently bought Waze, so I am sure they will eventually merge into one app anyway.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You could also try the Waze app. I like it much better than the Google navigation. Google recently bought Waze, so I am sure they will eventually merge into one app anyway.

Google has the most up to date and extensive traffic info ime. Its only flaw is the lack of a mode to rotate screen so you are going up regardless of directionality. Some call it navigation without destination. Waze info where I live is sketchy and directs me into traffic jams. They are also dismissive to user recommendations.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to have dev options to change the voice on the navigation. Just go into Samsung app and download the hd voice

Sorry for dumb question, but I can't find Samsung app store on my Verizon S4. Found Hub, Music, Books, Link, etc., but not app store. Suggestions?

EDIT: Thanks to a user suggestion on the S4 forum on Verizon's user forums (https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/809550), I went to Settings > My Device > Accessibility, and in the Vision section there is a Text-to-speech options setting. There I found the Samsung engine Install voice data option to download the high quality English (U.S.) voice (which I believe is the one I used to hear). Also, clicking the gear icon for the Google engine allows a Language choice of English (U.K.), which gives a rather nice male voice.

But I also found that switching to the Google engine for English (U.S.) gets a female voice that sounds more human (and, in fact, more Midwestern, to my Midwest-raised ear), and I'm going with that for now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89