Verizon Note 3: Battery & spam problems

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I posted the other day about the spam issues I'm having. I've tried norton, avg, and lookout none of which show any problems or threats. I used the norton app that shows which apps allow ads and deleted them - but still the problem persists.
The spam happens sometimes when I click on my msgs/emails/browser - it directs me to a Web page usually either saying phone memory critically low (it's not) or to a android-support.us page

Android Battery Saver

then it automatically loads the play store to social point games, meetup.com apps or king.com apps.

Aside from deleting everything off my phone and starting over is there anything else I can do?

Also, my battery recently has been awful. This morning it went almost 10% in less than 15mins. My screen is down to almost zero, I've turned off the wifi alert as well as one other thing that that showed to he taking up battery (a Verizon product). But, now with mild/medium use texting my friend, searching the web occasionally ..In 8.5 hrs I'm down to less than 15%

If I knew how to upload screen shots of my battery use today I'd show you.

Just another point, all of this was in my house with wifi.

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm at my wits end ready to launch the phone at my wall!

Thanks,

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery & spam problems

Hi all,

I posted the other day about the spam issues I'm having. I've tried norton, avg, and lookout none of which show any problems or threats. I used the norton app that shows which apps allow ads and deleted them - but still the problem persists.
The spam happens sometimes when I click on my msgs/emails/browser - it directs me to a Web page usually either saying phone memory critically low (it's not) or to a android-support.us page

Android Battery Saver

then it automatically loads the play store to social point games, meetup.com apps or king.com apps.

Aside from deleting everything off my phone and starting over is there anything else I can do?

Also, my battery recently has been awful. This morning it went almost 10% in less than 15mins. My screen is down to almost zero, I've turned off the wifi alert as well as one other thing that that showed to he taking up battery (a Verizon product). But, now with mild/medium use texting my friend, searching the web occasionally ..In 8.5 hrs I'm down to less than 15%

If I knew how to upload screen shots of my battery use today I'd show you.

Just another point, all of this was in my house with wifi.

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm at my wits end ready to launch the phone at my wall!

Thanks,

Sarks.

You can post screenshots from the AC Forums app.
For the battery, download an app called Wakelock detector; that should tell you what's causing the battery drain.
As far as the spam, I'd uninstall the apps one by one and see if you can find out which one is doing it, if that doesn't work then a factory reset would probably be best

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Download an app called airpush detector and see if it will tell you which app is causing it. Post some screenshots and we'll see if we can help out!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Download an app called airpush detector and see if it will tell you which app is causing it. Post some screenshots and we'll see if we can help out!

I downloaded it and it didn't find anything that was causing the problem.

Can you tell me how to upload screen shots from the android central app? I'm a bit of a muppet! I cannae see any place that would allow me to upload them ...what am I missing?

Also what would be helpful to show screenshots off - what apps I have on my phone? I'm more p----d off about the ad spam right now than the battery.

Thanks for helping!

Sarks :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded it and it didn't find anything that was causing the problem.

Can you tell me how to upload screen shots from the android central app? I'm a bit of a muppet! I cannae see any place that would allow me to upload them ...what am I missing?

Also what would be helpful to show screenshots off - what apps I have on my phone? I'm more p----d off about the ad spam right now than the battery.

Thanks for helping!

Sarks :)

You can't do it with the AC app, it has to be the AC Forums app or from the desktop. And yes, that would be very helpful

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the help in being able to upload screen shots! Here are all the apps I have right now on it. The apps in google, samsung, tools etc are the standard ones that come with the phone - I haven't added anything else to those folders. Hopefully one of these wee B's will stick out as a culprit!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1387865893972.jpg
    1387865893972.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 1387865916024.jpg
    1387865916024.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1387865935512.jpg
    1387865935512.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 69
  • 1387865951945.jpg
    1387865951945.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 70

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

None of the apps seems like it would be the cause of this. Maybe a file you downloaded or site you visited? I have the same issue, only it's on my desktop PC. Have a few anti-viruses but the problem is still there. At this point I'd recommend a factory reset :\

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

I could perhaps have clicked on some Web page link if it showed up on something I was in, I really don't know.

As for downloads I don't think so as generally all I download are either attachments in emails (docs for work or pics friends have taken). I guess if I could have downloaded an app that had it, then got rid of the app and the problem stayed then that could have happened.

I have talked to my bf about the factory reset (this problem has been p---ing me off the last couple of weeks) he wants to see if he can fix it - but he will just do what I've done - research it, ask others for help, delete apps, scan for problems. Not really sure what else I can try at this point.

Just a bit bummed out cos I held onto my iPhone for a couple of yrs as I never had any problems with it ..and now as a treat I got us both these phones for our birthdays in sept and mine has ended up buggered with some f---ers spam!

Again, thanks for letting me rant and trying to help me!

Sarks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I could perhaps have clicked on some Web page link if it showed up on something I was in, I really don't know.

As for downloads I don't think so as generally all I download are either attachments in emails (docs for work or pics friends have taken). I guess if I could have downloaded an app that had it, then got rid of the app and the problem stayed then that could have happened.

I have talked to my bf about the factory reset (this problem has been p---ing me off the last couple of weeks) he wants to see if he can fix it - but he will just do what I've done - research it, ask others for help, delete apps, scan for problems. Not really sure what else I can try at this point.

Just a bit bummed out cos I held onto my iPhone for a couple of yrs as I never had any problems with it ..and now as a treat I got us both these phones for our birthdays in sept and mine has ended up buggered with some f---ers spam!

Sarks.

No problem. Sorry I couldn't help :\

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

No worries. Thank you for trying to help. I really appreciate everyone's friendliness and help here, glad I discovered the app!

Heidi Ellis

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are a few screen shots of what is happening. Other times, the browser will pop up temporarily and then route to to the play store to buy words with friends or some poker app. I have only caught a bit of the URL that it routes through which starts with "hashrik1."

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 99041
View attachment 99042
View attachment 99043
View attachment 99044

Here are a few screen shots of what is happening. Other times, the browser will pop up temporarily and then route to to the play store to buy words with friends or some poker app. I have only caught a bit of the URL that it routes through which starts with "hashrik1."
This isn't an issue with Android, it's an issue with the apps. I have never had an ad outside of an app and even then, they can be closed easily. I'd start with deleting apps, one of them has to be the culprit

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sarks.

Try Airpush opt out. You can search for its website and give them I think your cell number or Meid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

What do you people do to get this sort of thing on your phone??? I have had a ton of phones and have never had to worry about spam! What websites are you visiting? What weird apps are you trying to download?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

What do you people do to get this sort of thing on your phone??? I have had a ton of phones and have never had to worry about spam! What websites are you visiting? What weird apps are you trying to download?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

There are apps on Play that will automatically download other apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JordanHardey

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I had this same problem happening to me... I ran my VZW Protection app (which found nothing)... so I closed everything I had open, cleared all my defaults, closed and deleted all my webpages, and just simply restarted my phone (turn off / turn on) and have yet to have anything pop up since... and its been 2 days now whereas before it would pop up atleast 4-5+ times a day... I know it sounds stupid and so simple... but I usually keep my phone on 24/7... So I just restarted it and boom no more so far!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

I have tried basically every suggestion I've been given - none of the programmes people suggested have found anything wrong, nor have the other possible solutions worked. I posted the apps on my phone and people have told me that none of them look like they would be causing problems.

As for what websites I use, visit etc I don't visit anything dodgy: a large amount of my time is reading the news, looking up things on Wikipedia, reading a couple of other sites I've used frequently on other phones/computers and had no problem.

For the person who posted screenshots above that's EXACTLY the problem I'm having and I'm finding no solution. I deleted all the browsing data etc again and rebooted and literally the first thing I clicked on (Samsung email app) the spam came flashing up. I've NEVER had this problem on any other phone - I had my iPhone for 2 yrs with no problems.

I'm down to a bare minimum of apps, most of which came with the effing phone, the only thing I haven't tried is doing a factory reset on my phone - but even then I saw some postings on other sites of people who did this and it didn't stop the problem.

I don't see myself , if something looks like it maybe dodgy then I avoid it, but if it's some random thing I may have clicked on I can see that being possible.

I'm just really frustrated that there isn't (unless I've yet to find something that does) a solution/a way to stop these effing bs from popping up on my phone every time I click on my email, msgs, browser etc

I do want to say thank you though to everyone who has tried (or trying) to help me, and those who sympathize!

Hopefully I can find a solution soon.

Thanks,

Sarks.

Last edited by a moderator: