Wifi problems with dual band router

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that even though the router is in the room I sit my note 3 is much slower on 5 gHz band than 2.4 gHz band. This is frustrating because every other device in the house (10 devices) is connected to 2.4 gHz band since they are further away from router. Theoretically I should get much faster service on the 5 gHz band that is unused by any other device and less prone to interference from other local wifi routers (none close enough to even give 1 bar anyway but they do show up on list so I assume some interference is possible).

I have a Linksys ea4500 dual band router. My speed we connected to ether net through router is a little over 50 mbps. My wifi speed on my Motorola Razr Maxx HD is about 20 mbps even though it is upstairs and at the other end of the house. My wife's Ipads are about the same as my note 3 about 8 mbps on 2.4 gHz. On 5 gHz my note 3 only downloads at about 3 mbps although it's upload speed is about 8 mbps.

Any suggestions? Xfinity and Linksys customer service are useless.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Mine just started connecting and disconnecting to wifi and refused to go online. Had to reboot. It has gone from being fine to completely unstable.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the linksys ea3500, and the 5ghz band is way weaker than my asus RT-N56U. So maybe try a different router. This isn't an xfinity issue, since other devices operate ok.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Mine just started connecting and disconnecting to wifi and refused to go online. Had to reboot. It has gone from being fine to completely unstable.

actually my connection is fine. the problem is it is so slow

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
actually my connection is fine. the problem is it is so slow

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

10 devices on your router? Not sure but it could be you have reached a saturation point.

Actually may need to up your service or get a second data connection.

This after you have verified your service is sendind and receiving at the correct rate.

Posted via Android Central App

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Man I have way more than 10 devices attached to my router. Internet is slow. Found a few people started having the issue when they got 4.3. Guess it could be a bug with the radio fw. But I did get a new class 10 so card and my wifi and Internet speed seem to have improved.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's really annoying that my old Razr Maxx HD is further away from router and gets much faster wifi now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ugh I have this same issue! Didn't know if it was xfinity or the linksys router. We have both smartphones connected to the signal, 2 tablets and 2 laptops. After 6pm when everyone is home and starts connecting the signal starts to go in and out. Very annoying

I have noticed that even though the router is in the room I sit my note 3 is much slower on 5 gHz band than 2.4 gHz band. This is frustrating because every other device in the house (10 devices) is connected to 2.4 gHz band since they are further away from router. Theoretically I should get much faster service on the 5 gHz band that is unused by any other device and less prone to interference from other local wifi routers (none close enough to even give 1 bar anyway but they do show up on list so I assume some interference is possible).

I have a Linksys ea4500 dual band router. My speed we connected to ether net through router is a little over 50 mbps. My wifi speed on my Motorola Razr Maxx HD is about 20 mbps even though it is upstairs and at the other end of the house. My wife's Ipads are about the same as my note 3 about 8 mbps on 2.4 gHz. On 5 gHz my note 3 only downloads at about 3 mbps although it's upload speed is about 8 mbps.

Any suggestions? Xfinity and Linksys customer service are useless.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

sent from my Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I know it isn't xfinity because my Razr Maxx HD gets great speed from same signal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ugh I have this same issue! Didn't know if it was xfinity or the linksys router. We have both smartphones connected to the signal, 2 tablets and 2 laptops. After 6pm when everyone is home and starts connecting the signal starts to go in and out. Very annoying

sent from my Note 3

If it happens at peak time (evening) and everyone is having slow Internet, then it sounds like the be network is loaded, either internally or externally. To test, when this happens, ask everyone else to stop using the Internet and do a speed test. If it is way lower than the package you bought then the cable provider's network of is probably loaded.

do you have a docsis 3 modem with 8 bonded downstream channels? It can help if it is the cable provider issue and they offer 8 bonded downstream channels.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have xfinity and if you live in a really populated area that decides to start playing on the net it can get slow. But it doesn't get too slow. I have 2 routers and a 3rd at work that all do the same thing. Try changing the channels and if you can boost the TX signal on it. The one at work has that setting and it helped. Biggest thing is I bought my new ad card yesterday and now I still get the unstable msg, but it doesn't seem to be slow or actually disconnecting any more . Oh and I have left bluetooth on as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used wifi analyzer and not much difference between channels. I picked the best one but it didn't make any difference. Like I said I never lose connection but speed varies wildly between less than 1 mbps to over 50. The Razr Maxx HD has constant good speed.