Verizon Note 3: Google Services/Battery Life

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
All of a sudden, Google Services seems to be using up my battery at a very fast rate.

I've made a few phone calls today, but other than that, haven't used my phone for anything - the screen has been blank - even during the phone calls. Yet, Google Services has used 53% of my battery, and I'm down to 68% after about 3 hours.Under "normal" conditions, I should be at least at 85%.

scrnshot.jpg

This wan't an issue until yesterday, and nothing has changed (at least I haven't changed anything) recently.

Anyone else seeing a change like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Services/Battery Life

All of a sudden, Google Services seems to be using up my battery at a very fast rate.

I've made a few phone calls today, but other than that, haven't used my phone for anything - the screen has been blank - even during the phone calls. Yet, Google Services has used 53% of my battery, and I'm down to 68% after about 3 hours.Under "normal" conditions, I should be at least at 85%.

View attachment 105062

This wan't an issue until yesterday, and nothing has changed (at least I haven't changed anything) recently.

Anyone else seeing a change like this?

I have seen this before, but can't remember the solution. I would suggest rebooting the phone and plugging it back in to a full charge. See if that fixes it.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Search on media services or maybe on some of my past posts. I was having a similar problem and participated in a thread that had some help for me. Something about corrupted media files trying to resolve or something...but I got it stopped...

anon154738

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

It's possible Google services was running something in the background (updating something) . Also a new version has been pushed out recently and you may have received it . Just a guess . If I'm right doing what the previous commenter's said to do will fix it.

Posted via Android Central App

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I tried rebooting, with no luck - it's been running about 2 hours now with NO use (by me) and it's down to 80% now. But now, the heaviest battery user is "Google Play Services" (67%).

In early January, there was an update for Google Play Services that fixed battery drain in KitKat (I'm not running KitKat).There was another update this week (Google Play Services v4.2). I see lots of posts about this service causing battery drain - some old, some new - but nobody seems to have a solution. I'm wondering why this problem isn't universal - and why only seleccted devices?

John Yin

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I am having the exactly same problem with my Galaxy S3. Google Services is draining the battery like crazy, started from yesterday. Please post any fix that you may find. Thanks!

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

I had the same issue constantly with my S3. Was never able to fix. On my Note 3 it happened just once and a force close followed by a reboot fixed the problem.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I am having the exactly same problem with my Galaxy S3. Google Services is draining the battery like crazy, started from yesterday. Please post any fix that you may find. Thanks!
One thing that did help was to shut off the GPS. I think we need to wait for another update of Google Play Services.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

One thing that did help was to shut off the GPS. I think we need to wait for another update of Google Play Services.
Try clearing data and cache of Google Play Services in addition to finding the thread I mentioned before. I don't think an update would help if it is something like a file on the phone and a file on the server trying to resolve a conflict. You could even go a step further and uninstall updates then turn it off after clearing data and cache and then reboot and turn it all back on.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Try clearing data and cache of Google Play Services in addition to finding the thread I mentioned before. I don't think an update would help if it is something like a file on the phone and a file on the server trying to resolve a conflict. You could even go a step further and uninstall updates then turn it off after clearing data and cache and then reboot and turn it all back on.
I already tried clearing the cache and data for Google Play Services, but no luck. I haven't tried uninstalling the Google Play Services updates yet - although I may try that now.

Today, after taking the phone off of the charger (at 100%), I've had the phone sitting in front of me with no use and after about 80 minutes, I'm down to 90% battery. Google Play Services have used 69% of that.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Well, oddly, the problem has gone away on it's own. Last night Google Play Services was using 68% of my battery, but today, it doesn't even show up in the list - and Google Services is at 6%. After an hour, there's 99% battery left (it would have been about 90% yesterday).

There were no updates to any Google software - I'm not sure what caused it, but it seems to have fixed itself.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, oddly, the problem has gone away on it's own. Last night Google Play Services was using 68% of my battery, but today, it doesn't even show up in the list - and Google Services is at 6%. After an hour, there's 99% battery left (it would have been about 90% yesterday).

There were no updates to any Google software - I'm not sure what caused it, but it seems to have fixed itself.

Glad to hear it. It may have been an issue with syncing or something like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm now having severe battery drain from Google play services (4.3.2) over the last several days. I've tried restarting it and turning the phone off for several minutes. No recent app changes or additions. I guess with the recent Google play services update you can't downgrade it or uninstall updates anymore . .

Any insight / advice?

please back away from the screen

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

As I reported in this thread, I had this same problem, but it just went away on its own - I never knew why it happened. I had the problem for about 4 days or so, but it just resolved itself.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Have you recently turned on Google now? Check location settings and make sure sync is not stuck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Have you recently turned on Google now? Check location settings and make sure sync is not stuck.

I've looked and sync seems to be working ok. Nothing seems hung up. I've had Google now on ever since I received the phone.

It's frustrating that you can't uninstall play services updates now to try and reset it.

please back away from the screen

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Google services is a battery drain for me too, and this build was supposed to HELP battery life.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1396223116261.jpg
My Verizon Note3 has been off the charger since 7AM....NO Google services. This works for me.
Sent from MY BLACK G'NOTE3