What happened to my personal dictionary?

shoeboy23

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
We all have our own little words that we type to out friends and loved ones. "GAH, DOH" etc. I happen to frequent a restaurant called Tlaquepaque. Since I have typed it a few times, my phone remembers it. I can type t-l-a and it appears in the box above where I am typing. I simply hit the space bar and it fills in the rest of the word. Right? Well, about a week or two ago it stopped. I don't recall if there was some update or not. I may have just hit UPDATE ALL when there were updates to do that day. I have a friend who's nickname is Sneeb. Now the phone types Sneer. I have searched the phone high and low and can't seem to find out where the personal dictionary is. I have tried hitting the arrow that USED TO save words, but nothing is working. It truly is a pain in the rear to have to re-type things or to have to proof read because I have just inadvertently called my buddy Sneer and asked him to eat some obscene body parts.

Any help you great people can provide would be great.

Thanks Aaron..."Shoeboy"

shoeboy23

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I use the regular key board. The one that comes on the phone. I've used others on other phones but I like the one that's on the Note 3

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me too, just using the Google Keyboard on all my phones, every now and then it forgets words it shouldn't correct. I don't really bother about it because I usually type the majority of everything out because I still don't know how to swipe words. But probably one of the premium keyboard apps in the play store would work better at maintaining the personal dictionary. If it didn't, you could email the Dev. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I think I've even seen a setting somewhere that opens a page that had a list of the saved words. I cant even find that.

I believe if you go to settings >> language and input >> personal dictionary (I've included a screenshot of what I see on my note 3). From there you can add in words you use.

Also if you go to settings >> language and input >> then click on the little wheel next to the Samsung keyboard >> click on predictive text (make sure it says yes) >> then you have the option for the keyboard to learn from your gmail, texts, Facebook etc which I've found helpful. (I've included a screenshot of this page also).

Hope this helps!

Sarks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1397198663116.jpg
    1397198663116.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1397198674737.jpg
    1397198674737.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 76

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. It doesn't even remember words when I put them into the personal dictionary. Very annoying.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

shoeboy23

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. a MILLION thanks! Super helpful. The screen shots are GREAT! It seems for now, problem solved.

Me being a big "closure" guy, I still wonder why it forgot my words after all these months. I don't expect to ever know the answer to this.

I believe if you go to settings >> language and input >> personal dictionary (I've included a screenshot of what I see on my note 3). From there you can add in words you use.

Also if you go to settings >> language and input >> then click on the little wheel next to the Samsung keyboard >> click on predictive text (make sure it says yes) >> then you have the option for the keyboard to learn from your gmail, texts, Facebook etc which I've found helpful. (I've included a screenshot of this page also).

Hope this helps!

Sarks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. a MILLION thanks! Super helpful. The screen shots are GREAT! It seems for now, problem solved.

Me being a big "closure" guy, I still wonder why it forgot my words after all these months. I don't expect to ever know the answer to this.

No worries, glad I was able to help :)

Mine doesn't remember a lot of my words but some it does - it does remember all the ones in my personal dictionary though.

Someone else may be able to give you some hints on why it just stopped. There are so many different little features of this phone i find it hard trying to remember them! Ha

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

shoeboy23

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE... even with the words in my dictionary, it's still not working.
I have had the phone since October I think, but the problem JUST started a few weeks ago. I am so frustrated!

doboYeee

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Me and various people have this same problem with the samsung keyboard not saving words. I tend to curse a lot and the keyboard will never remember my words even though I click the curved arrow that saves the word. I've looked through the internet and have done everything people recommend yet it still doesn't work. I have personalized data on and updated learn from messages all the time, my note 3 will just never remember my personalized words. I hope samsung really fixes this as it is soooo annoying, but I can't switch to a third party keyboard because I love the samsung keyboard so much!

Freddy Fenster

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you ... oh wise one.The screenshots about personalizing data addressed my problem. So far it seems to be remembering my cuss words now.

Last edited:

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to type in sneeb follwed by space. I typed it again and hit the arrow down in the word list bar. .. it was there. Once I selected it from there it remembered it no problem. I don't know if this has been tried but worth a shot. ..I did not add to dictionary and it still shows up now. .. ha ha thanks I now have sneeb in my dictionary thanks to you. ... did you just send me on a sneeb hunt? Hope this works for you.

shoeboy23

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
THE SOLUTION...from NCTexasGirl4048...

I tried this over a week ago and it has worked PERFECTLY ever since, enjoy...

I think I may have found a solution. I recently had the same problem w/ my samsung galaxy s4 Active. I went into settings. I then hit the settings tool icon beside samsung keyboard. Made sure predictive text was on. I actually clicked it off then back on. Then I clicked on the word predictive text and under personalization there are a few learn options. I clicked learn from messages and learn from contacts. I just sent a message and it seemed to fix it! Please let me know if this helps any of ya'll!

firejack007

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I found a quicker way on the S5 to edit saved words. With the Samsung keyboard open, start typing. When you see a word that is wrong, press and hold on that word in the suggestion line. You'll get a message that the word will be deleted. Tap on 'OK'. I have not been able to find a list. There is no personal dictionary listed where it's suggested .:-\

vrkram

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried what you mentioned above but still doesn't work. I use SMS and Whatsapp the most and any new word that I type here doesn't get stored to my Personal Dictionary.. Any ideas? I have Samsung S3 with Android 4.3

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I could suggest is to tyoe the word in a program that syncs with the keyboard diary. I don't use built in keyboard I use keyboard that syncs with the social apps I use...swype, kkemoji, swiftkey.

PirateTrucker

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Having same issue s5, will only let me delete words while I'm in Google. It is a Google phone, so it must be stored in Google somewhere maybe the cloud, can't delete words anywhere else. Type misspelled word, when it comes up in the suggestion press and long hold then it comes up but only while I'm on Google search, no other apps. Just goes grey on those.

Note4 newbie

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a note4, updated Google key board and access to the personal dictionary option is gone...previous entries appear to be there but can no longer create short cuts.

Any assistance you guys can provide would greatly appreciated.