08-17-2013 06:22 PM
89 ... 234
tools
    I then de-activate the S4 on her line and activate it on my line. I then re-activate the iPhone on her line.
    I don't believe there is such a thing as "de-activating" a device. You need to:
    1. activate the S4 on her line.
    2. re-activate the iPhone on her line.

only THEN...

3. activate the S4 on your line.

EDIT: Don't know if the above is absolutely required, but I know from first hand experience it does work. Again, just to be safe, I would re-activate the old phone on the other line *before* activating the new phone on your unlimited line.
    noisemaker likes this.
    06-05-2013 06:09 PM
    At the risk of beating a very dead horse into well-deserved oblivion, allow me to make sure I understand this completely:

My wife has an iPhone 5 on a 2GB plan and is nowhere near ready for a subsidized upgrade. I have a Droid Bionic on an unlimited plan that is now due for upgrade. I transfer the upgrade to her line. I get the S4 on her line. I activate the S4 on her line, thereby disabling her iPhone. I then de-activate the S4 on her line and activate it on my line. I then re-activate the iPhone on her line. I now have an S4 on my line with unlimited, and an iPhone on her line with the 2GB plan, and I have done no damage to anything on her phone. haven't lost any apps or contacts, etc., etc. This is correct?
    Just follow the steps in my earlier post, substituting your wife's phone for my daughter's phone in the steps. You simply order the S4 on her line BUT using YOUR upgrade eligibility from your line. Once you receive the S4, activate it on your wife's line, then re-activate her iPhone back to her line, freeing up the S4 (it will not be assigned to any phone line at this point), then activate the S4 on your unlimited data line, replacing your current phone. Her iPhone's apps and data should be unaffected... the iPhone will just be without phone/texting/data service for a short period.
    06-10-2013 04:07 PM
    Thanks! Now all I have to do is decide if I want to wait for the 32GB GS4, the HTC One, or the Moto X. And by that time, who knows what will be the new, hot thing to wait for.
    06-11-2013 11:13 AM
    Thanks! Now all I have to do is decide if I want to wait for the 32GB GS4, the HTC One, or the Moto X. And by that time, who knows what will be the new, hot thing to wait for.
    keep in mind this loophole could close at any given moment. They can take away our unlimited anytime they want as well I guess, but I'm glad I upgraded my two unlimited lines for now while I still had the chance.
    06-11-2013 11:19 AM
    keep in mind this loophole could close at any given moment. They can take away our unlimited anytime they want as well I guess, but I'm glad I upgraded my two unlimited lines for now while I still had the chance.
    Yes! That is exactly what happened to me and I am pissed about it!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-12-2013 06:45 AM
    That's a chance I'm going to have to take. I've gotten very comfortable sitting on this fence.
    06-12-2013 02:12 PM
    You only need one other phone line, other than your current unlimited line. The VZW rep who turned me onto this said that some folks add a minimal month-to-month line to their account to pull this off, then cancel it. I didn't do it that way, so I can't vouch for that method, but I've seen online where others have done it. Cost them a month's fee for the dummy line. Your mileage may vary.
    So you're using a dummy line, to which you transfer your upgrade (from the unlimited line) , get the new phone on that dummy line, transfer the phone to the unlimited line, and cancel the dummy line?

Wouldn't you be incurring Early Termination Fee,
    $350, when dropping the dummy line (since you got the discounted phone under it)?
    06-29-2013 02:20 PM
    So you're using a dummy line, to which you transfer your upgrade (from the unlimited line) , get the new phone on that dummy line, transfer the phone to the unlimited line, and cancel the dummy line?

Wouldn't you be incurring Early Termination Fee,
    $350, when dropping the dummy line (since you got the discounted phone under it)?
    You are correct. And if you add a line to get a smart phone, you have a $350 ETF, regardless of if you move that device to another line.
    06-29-2013 02:22 PM
    I did this for two phones; one using the upgrade available on the flip phone, the other with a transferred upgrade, both to S4′s. Worked fine; just had to go in and get new SIMs for each one I couldnt online-activate with the original SIMs to transfer the phones to the correct numbers.. And make sure to go to an owned store (Verizon CS warned me about this); youll get the SIMs for free - an affiliate store may charge. (We bought a case to make the people there feel better about doing this, as due to verizons system it took them a while.)
    07-30-2013 12:49 PM
    I did this for two phones; one using the upgrade available on the flip phone, the other with a transferred upgrade, both to S4′s. Worked fine; just had to go in and get new SIMs for each one I couldnt online-activate with the original SIMs to transfer the phones to the correct numbers.. And make sure to go to an owned store (Verizon CS warned me about this); youll get the SIMs for free - an affiliate store may charge. (We bought a case to make the people there feel better about doing this, as due to verizons system it took them a while.)
    Two weeks ago I was able to swap my S4 onto the unlimited line and Thunderbolt to the new line. It took about 30 minutes but the CSR was really nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    07-31-2013 12:50 AM
    Yeah,
    I did this as well a while back when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 (don't judge me! heh). My pops wanted an iPhone 4S, which I already had, and I wanted a 5 so he upgraded and then we simply activated my iPhone on his account, and then I swapped his over. I think if the SIM card is attached to one number they might just have to charge you 10 bucks for a new one (they mentioned that once to me, but I never paid attention since when I did this I was at the store and they simply setup the SIM card for LTE for my number right away).

Anyhow... works great. I was able to keep my unlimited data, and got an iPhone 5 and he got my 4S happily. Win / Win.

** Before anyone asks... I'm here because I'm switching to an S4 as a company I work with is hooking me up so I can run their new Android build and I'm a big tech nerd so I'm quite antsy waiting **
    07-31-2013 12:36 PM
    I went in to a vzw store n they told me that even if you transfer your upgrade from a unlimited line to a flip phone line n use it, you still lose your unlimited data b/c the upgrade is still connected to the original line. I went in on Aug 12. Anybody done it recently?
    08-17-2013 12:15 PM
    I went in to a vzw store n they told me that even if you transfer your upgrade from a unlimited line to a flip phone line n use it, you still lose your unlimited data b/c the upgrade is still connected to the original line. I went in on Aug 12. Anybody done it recently?
    Just do it online...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-17-2013 12:27 PM
    I did it about two weeks ago with 2 existing lines I had the s4 on the upgraded tiered line for like 2 minutes. Then went into the store as I needed a sim for my line and had it activated. Dont transfers phones between lines yoy want to activate upgrade, deactivate and then activate on new line

Posted via Android Central App
    08-17-2013 06:22 PM
89 ... 234