Verizon unlimited upgrade loophole

rscecil007

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm due for my upgrade, and I've tried doing this with 2 different VZW reps over the phone, and asked the rep at Bestbuy about it when we got my Mom's new S4. They all told me the same as the one poster above said, that the line the transfer is coming from will get switched to the tiered plan, even if you transfer it to a different line. I plan on getting my S4 in the next week or so through the Comcast/Verizon deal that's going on.

Both my wife and I have unlimited on our two lines, and I'm trying to keep at least one of the unlimited lines, but so far no luck.

I'm also concerned that if I could transfer my upgrade to my wife's line to get my S4, then reactivate it on my line to keep my unlimited, she's then locked in for 2 years on contract, and can't upgrade again later this summer, correct?

Sorry for any noob sounding questions, I have read through most of this thread and tried what has been suggested.

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for my upgrade, and I've tried doing this with 2 different VZW reps over the phone, and asked the rep at Bestbuy about it when we got my Mom's new S4. They all told me the same as the one poster above said, that the line the transfer is coming from will get switched to the tiered plan, even if you transfer it to a different line. I plan on getting my S4 in the next week or so through the Comcast/Verizon deal that's going on.

Both my wife and I have unlimited on our two lines, and I'm trying to keep at least one of the unlimited lines, but so far no luck.

I'm also concerned that if I could transfer my upgrade to my wife's line to get my S4, then reactivate it on my line to keep my unlimited, she's then locked in for 2 years on contract, and can't upgrade again later this summer, correct?

Sorry for any noob sounding questions, I have read through most of this thread and tried what has been suggested.

You can confirm this with a Verizon rep on their online chat.

Basically send your transfer to the dummy line, when the phone comes in you might want to go to a Verizon store for them to activate it on the unlimited line to avoid troubleshooting.

This method does not effect when the dummy line gets a upgrade.

I just did this last week with 0 issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

kamikaz2k

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Do you transfer the upgrade online at the verizon wireless site and then proceed to place the order for the new smartphone?

I tried to transfer an upgrade from my line with unlimited data to one with a non-smartphone (no data plan) and buy the Galaxy S4 with a 2gb plan. I figured I'd just switch that phone afterwards with the line I am taking the upgrade from to keep my unlimited data. However the order confirmation email I get from Verizon states the "upgrade line" is the one with the unlimited data rather than the non-smartphone line. All the Verizon customer service reps i talk to just keep telling me transferring an upgrade to or from any line with unlimited data will result in both lines being converted to tier pricing, which I don't think is true. Does anybody else see this on their confirm emails? I am wondering if the confirmation email just lists the original line but the phone/sim they actually send you is for the non-smartphone line? Thanks.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, folks, here's what I did. Worked like a charm. A couple of steps were confusing, but it wasn't hard to figure out, and I did it all online...

* Ordered new GS4 for my daughter's 2 GB line, but using eligibility from my unlimited line
* Receive new GS4 today
* Installed SIM and battery that came with it into the GS4, as well as SD card from my old phone (Thunderbolt) from my unlimited data line
* Turn off daughter's phone (the one from the 2 GB line)
* Activated the new GS4 on 2 GB line by turning it on and going through activation process
* Turned off new GS4
* Re-added daughter's phone back to her 2 GB line on VZW site as follows...
- Logged into VZW.com
- On the My Verizon menu at the top, chose Activate or Switch Device
- The next page had all phones under my account shown. I selected the GS4 which was shown as being assigned to my daughter's phone number. Clicked Next
- The next screen asked if I wanted to replace the GS4 with a phone that had already been previously activated on my account, which I select since my daughter's phone had been on this account before I replaced it with the new GS4. My daughter's phone was in a dropdown list, so I selected it.
- Next screen instructed me to call *228 option 1 to activate my daughter's phone back on her 2 GB line.
- Turned daughter's phone back on. Dialed *228, selected option 1, went through voice prompts on phone. Phone rebooted itself when done and her phone was back on her 2 GB phone line​
* To add the new GS4 to my unlimited line, went back through above steps, this time selecting (on the Activate or Switch Device screen) my old Thunderbolt that was still assigned to my unlimited data line, then took these steps...
- (This is one place where the Web site didn't make sense) After selecting it and clicking Next, the following screen was different. It showed the new GS4 and asked if this was my new device (to replace my Thunderbolt on my unlimited data line), but didn't give me a Yes or No choice.
- COPY DOWN THE DEVICE ID AND SIM CARD # THAT IS DISPLAYED HERE... it will make the rest of the steps a bit easier.
- This page also asked for my Billing System Password. This is also sometimes called your PIN. It is NOT your My Verizon Web site password. It's 4-5 characters. You can call VZW to have it reset if you don't know it. After entering it I clicked Next.
- The next screen was more like what I saw when re-adding my daughter's phone to her line, except this time I selected that I was adding a phone that had NOT been on this account before. Yes, the new GS4 had technically been on my 'account' before, but I think it means 'on this phone line before.' I had to provide the Device ID (I'm pretty sure - I can't go back through the steps and check), and the SIM # (definitely), so be sure you've copied those in the above step.
- Once I stepped through and completed this process, I turned the new GS4 on. ***NOTE: It took 15 or so minutes before it was accepted by the VZW network. I was afraid something was wrong and that I'd have to call VZW and get stuck in CSR hell, but don't panic. It just takes some time. While it was getting set up, I went back to the Activate or Switch Device screen where the process started, and the new GS4 was shown on my unlimited data line, where I wanted it, but it was grayed out and not selectable, with a note under the name saying that the request was processing, or words to that effect.​
* Now my new GS4 in on my line and has UNLIMITED DATA (well, at least until VZW pulls the plug on all unlimited data plans... but I'll take it!)

Anyway, that's how it went down. No phone calls to VZW. No swapping of SIM cards. Certainly worth the effort to keep my unlimited data plan!

Let me know if you have questions!

Seems a little more involved than just switching SIM cards. Glad it worked though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody who did this loophole done the rebate? I purchased my phone with a $50 mail in rebate. It asks you to put down the eligible phone number. Do I put the dummy phone's number or the number where I switched the new phone to?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody who did this loophole done the rebate? I purchased my phone with a $50 mail in rebate. It asks you to put down the eligible phone number. Do I put the dummy phone's number or the number where I switched the new phone to?

Use the number you bought the phone on

- VZW GS4 -

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
OK, folks, here's what I did. Worked like a charm. A couple of steps were confusing, but it wasn't hard to figure out, and I did it all online...

* Ordered new GS4 for my daughter's 2 GB line, but using eligibility from my unlimited line
* Receive new GS4 today
* Installed SIM and battery that came with it into the GS4, as well as SD card from my old phone (Thunderbolt) from my unlimited data line
* Turn off daughter's phone (the one from the 2 GB line)
* Activated the new GS4 on 2 GB line by turning it on and going through activation process
* Turned off new GS4
* Re-added daughter's phone back to her 2 GB line on VZW site as follows...
- Logged into VZW.com
- On the My Verizon menu at the top, chose Activate or Switch Device
- The next page had all phones under my account shown. I selected the GS4 which was shown as being assigned to my daughter's phone number. Clicked Next
- The next screen asked if I wanted to replace the GS4 with a phone that had already been previously activated on my account, which I select since my daughter's phone had been on this account before I replaced it with the new GS4. My daughter's phone was in a dropdown list, so I selected it.
- Next screen instructed me to call *228 option 1 to activate my daughter's phone back on her 2 GB line.
- Turned daughter's phone back on. Dialed *228, selected option 1, went through voice prompts on phone. Phone rebooted itself when done and her phone was back on her 2 GB phone line​
* To add the new GS4 to my unlimited line, went back through above steps, this time selecting (on the Activate or Switch Device screen) my old Thunderbolt that was still assigned to my unlimited data line, then took these steps...
- (This is one place where the Web site didn't make sense) After selecting it and clicking Next, the following screen was different. It showed the new GS4 and asked if this was my new device (to replace my Thunderbolt on my unlimited data line), but didn't give me a Yes or No choice.
- COPY DOWN THE DEVICE ID AND SIM CARD # THAT IS DISPLAYED HERE... it will make the rest of the steps a bit easier.
- This page also asked for my Billing System Password. This is also sometimes called your PIN. It is NOT your My Verizon Web site password. It's 4-5 characters. You can call VZW to have it reset if you don't know it. After entering it I clicked Next.
- The next screen was more like what I saw when re-adding my daughter's phone to her line, except this time I selected that I was adding a phone that had NOT been on this account before. Yes, the new GS4 had technically been on my 'account' before, but I think it means 'on this phone line before.' I had to provide the Device ID (I'm pretty sure - I can't go back through the steps and check), and the SIM # (definitely), so be sure you've copied those in the above step.
- Once I stepped through and completed this process, I turned the new GS4 on. ***NOTE: It took 15 or so minutes before it was accepted by the VZW network. I was afraid something was wrong and that I'd have to call VZW and get stuck in CSR hell, but don't panic. It just takes some time. While it was getting set up, I went back to the Activate or Switch Device screen where the process started, and the new GS4 was shown on my unlimited data line, where I wanted it, but it was grayed out and not selectable, with a note under the name saying that the request was processing, or words to that effect.​
* Now my new GS4 in on my line and has UNLIMITED DATA (well, at least until VZW pulls the plug on all unlimited data plans... but I'll take it!)

Anyway, that's how it went down. No phone calls to VZW. No swapping of SIM cards. Certainly worth the effort to keep my unlimited data plan!

Let me know if you have questions!

That's a lot of work. Why not just call Verizon and have them do it? Takes only a couple of minutes for them to do it. And they are more than happy to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Speedy3

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My question is do I have to have the two dummy phone lines added to my account (like days or a week) before I proceed with doing the upgrade/switch? Currently I do not have them added.

Last edited:

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

When I selected my daughter's line for the GS4, but used MY unlimited data line's eligibility for the upgrade, that locked MY unlimited data line into the two-year contract, not my daughter's line. She can still upgrade (when I say she can :p)...

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you transfer the upgrade online at the verizon wireless site and then proceed to place the order for the new smartphone?

I tried to transfer an upgrade from my line with unlimited data to one with a non-smartphone (no data plan) and buy the Galaxy S4 with a 2gb plan. I figured I'd just switch that phone afterwards with the line I am taking the upgrade from to keep my unlimited data. However the order confirmation email I get from Verizon states the "upgrade line" is the one with the unlimited data rather than the non-smartphone line. All the Verizon customer service reps i talk to just keep telling me transferring an upgrade to or from any line with unlimited data will result in both lines being converted to tier pricing, which I don't think is true. Does anybody else see this on their confirm emails? I am wondering if the confirmation email just lists the original line but the phone/sim they actually send you is for the non-smartphone line? Thanks.

My daughter's line that I used for this was already for a smart phone with a data plan, so I'm not sure how using a non-smart phone line for these purposes works. I can only explain how it worked for me.

I have heard of people who don't have a second line to accomplish this with signing up for a minimal month-to-month line (in addition to their unlimited line) and using it to accomplish what I did, then canceling the new line. Might cost one month's service fee on the new line, but that may be worth it to some.

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a lot of work. Why not just call Verizon and have them do it? Takes only a couple of minutes for them to do it. And they are more than happy to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No, not a lot of work, just looks like it since I tried to explain the process in detail. The VZW rep who turned me onto this said that not all of his colleagues knew how to do this, and that I'd have to explain it if I got one of those reps. Was easier for me to just do it myself. But, to each his/her own...

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
My question is do I have to have the two dummy phone lines added to my account (like days or a week) before I proceed with doing the upgrade/switch? Currently I do not have them added.

You only need one other phone line, other than your current unlimited line. The VZW rep who turned me onto this said that some folks add a minimal month-to-month line to their account to pull this off, then cancel it. I didn't do it that way, so I can't vouch for that method, but I've seen online where others have done it. Cost them a month's fee for the dummy line. Your mileage may vary.

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems a little more involved than just switching SIM cards. Glad it worked though.

Well, when your old phone and new one have different size SIM cards, that's a little tough, right? However, if it works for you, go for it.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Why not just call Verizon and have them do it?

Because the likelihood that they CSR will either screw it up (either intentionally or unintentionally) is very high. And you would probably not have any luck getting unlimited back if they did screw it up. I've done it a couple times now, and always run into activation issues so I do end up having to use CS but I do each step/activation separately and do not elaborate on how/why I'm asking them to do things.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of beating a very dead horse into well-deserved oblivion, allow me to make sure I understand this completely:

My wife has an iPhone 5 on a 2GB plan and is nowhere near ready for a subsidized upgrade. I have a Droid Bionic on an unlimited plan that is now due for upgrade. I transfer the upgrade to her line. I get the S4 on her line. I activate the S4 on her line, thereby disabling her iPhone. I then de-activate the S4 on her line and activate it on my line. I then re-activate the iPhone on her line. I now have an S4 on my line with unlimited, and an iPhone on her line with the 2GB plan, and I have done no damage to anything on her phone. haven't lost any apps or contacts, etc., etc. This is correct?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I then de-activate the S4 on her line and activate it on my line. I then re-activate the iPhone on her line.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "de-activating" a device. You need to:
1. activate the S4 on her line.
2. re-activate the iPhone on her line.

only THEN...

3. activate the S4 on your line.

EDIT: Don't know if the above is absolutely required, but I know from first hand experience it does work. Again, just to be safe, I would re-activate the old phone on the other line *before* activating the new phone on your unlimited line.

tjnoff

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of beating a very dead horse into well-deserved oblivion, allow me to make sure I understand this completely:

My wife has an iPhone 5 on a 2GB plan and is nowhere near ready for a subsidized upgrade. I have a Droid Bionic on an unlimited plan that is now due for upgrade. I transfer the upgrade to her line. I get the S4 on her line. I activate the S4 on her line, thereby disabling her iPhone. I then de-activate the S4 on her line and activate it on my line. I then re-activate the iPhone on her line. I now have an S4 on my line with unlimited, and an iPhone on her line with the 2GB plan, and I have done no damage to anything on her phone. haven't lost any apps or contacts, etc., etc. This is correct?

Just follow the steps in my earlier post, substituting your wife's phone for my daughter's phone in the steps. You simply order the S4 on her line BUT using YOUR upgrade eligibility from your line. Once you receive the S4, activate it on your wife's line, then re-activate her iPhone back to her line, freeing up the S4 (it will not be assigned to any phone line at this point), then activate the S4 on your unlimited data line, replacing your current phone. Her iPhone's apps and data should be unaffected... the iPhone will just be without phone/texting/data service for a short period.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Now all I have to do is decide if I want to wait for the 32GB GS4, the HTC One, or the Moto X. And by that time, who knows what will be the new, hot thing to wait for. ;)

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Now all I have to do is decide if I want to wait for the 32GB GS4, the HTC One, or the Moto X. And by that time, who knows what will be the new, hot thing to wait for. ;)

keep in mind this loophole could close at any given moment. They can take away our unlimited anytime they want as well I guess, but I'm glad I upgraded my two unlimited lines for now while I still had the chance.

jaymojones

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
keep in mind this loophole could close at any given moment. They can take away our unlimited anytime they want as well I guess, but I'm glad I upgraded my two unlimited lines for now while I still had the chance.

Yes! That is exactly what happened to me and I am pissed about it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgsegds