Keyboard concerns

Oceanminded13

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there is a learning curve to this keyboard but so far I hate it. Ok the keyboard I like, but texting is difficult. Swype works great as well as handwriting but if I want to type each letter individually ( which sometimes I do) it is awful. I am hoping I can get used to the keyboard layout as I use the phone more but my accuracy with typing is awful. Has anyone else noticed this at all? Also is there a setting in which hitting the spacebar while typing will insert the highlighted predictive text, other phones Ive used have had this feature I just cant seem to find it on this one. Thanks.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Im not sure about the setting you mentioned, but if the keyboard becomes too much of a hassle, you can always try Swiftkey. It is highly customizable.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I switched to SwiftKey. The Samsung keyboard works great on my tablet but I don't really like it too much on a phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure about the setting you mentioned, but if the keyboard becomes too much of a hassle, you can always try Swiftkey. It is highly customizable.

I definitely second that recommendation. Samsung licensed some of SwiftKey's features for their default keyboard on the S4, but it is a far cry from the real SwiftKey. Pay for it and love it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes. The stock keypad is awful. I switched to SwiftKey. Miles better than the garbage the stock keyboard is.

Beamed Via Samsung Galaxy S4

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
This is good to know as I was a bit concerned with the keyboard. I love the stock jellybean keyboard and wish the s4 came with it installed. I've never really liked swiftkey, to me the android keyboard is the best because of its simplicity.

Malcolm Pritchard

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you help me? I'm struggling with my keypad, I've tried Swiftkey which is better but what I really need is a keypad with ABC on one key DEF on next etc etc. Does anyone know an app with that type?

Edge1978

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
+1 to all that have said SwiftKey, 2 of my friends also upgraded to the S4 and Android for that matter and they are in love with SwiftKey/

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the Swiftekey demo, and one thing that I do not like about it is the punctuation marks. On the stock s4 kb, if I long press the period, I get a list of 11 or 12 marks, I can then slide to whichever one I want to use.
With the swiftkey demo, I had to long press whatever individual key had the punctuation mark I wanted. Quite a hassle if I'm typing fast, or w/out reading glasses.

Is there a way to customize the swifkey kb so the punctuation is more like the stock s4 kb?

if the keyboard becomes too much of a hassle, you can always try Swiftkey. It is highly customizable.

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The trial is a bit better than 4 days ago. It was bundled with Dragon Naturally speaking, one of the keys was a Dragon key. Now it's not bundled with dragon, it has 4 punctuation marks on the period. I still like the way Samsung implements it better. I haven't seen a compelling reason to make me want to switch yet.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Google just yesterday released their official keyboard from the Nexus lineup. IMO it's way better than the Samsung option and includes swype like capabilities.

I just downloaded it yesterday after seeing someone made a post about it. I love this keyboard. Having autocorrect is awesome :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can you help me? I'm struggling with my keypad, I've tried Swiftkey which is better but what I really need is a keypad with ABC on one key DEF on next etc etc. Does anyone know an app with that type?

I couldn't imagine going back to "T9" typing, but if that's what you really want to do, a quick search of the google play store shows a few options...here's one example

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the Samsung keyboard specifically because it has numbers on the top. As far as I know, Swiftkey doesn't have that; you need to long press certain letters which I find annoying.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I actually like the Samsung keyboard specifically because it has numbers on the top. As far as I know, Swiftkey doesn't have that; you need to long press certain letters which I find annoying.

It is, and I like the idea of having the numbers on the top...at least in theory. The problem is that the buttons are just too darn small for my fat fingers, and I mistype way too often. I'll sacrifice having to long press for numbers to avoid the mistakes I was making with the built-in keyboard.