4G data coverage stops working, then starts working, then stops... Solution...

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, i have been having this issue ever since i got my S4 the day it was released from Verizon. Seems like whenever im around more than 10 people, restaurant, theme park, movie, whatever the data just takes a crap on my phone. It shows 4G with a good signal but nothing, just hangs, voice calls always seem to work no matter what but the data just stops. I also notice it shows 3G and switches back to 4G on some occasions. I live in a major metro city (Orlando, FL) and there is no problem with 4G coverage. My Note II worked perfect, never once had a issue with it, actually rarely used WIFI with it since the 4G was so fast on it. Now i pretty much live on WIFI and don't rely on data since it's so flakey.

Couple of things i have done...

- Factory reset and reloaded the phone 2x, once the normal way and once via it hooked up to a PC, many hours wasted, still same result.
- Went to Verizon and had them switch out my SIM (2x), same result each time.

I searched the web high and low about this issue and started to find random posts with people and the same problem. Many of these people got frustrated and swapped the phone out for an entirely new phone and all of a sudden they had no more issues. This leads me to believe that some phones are just defective and have data issues no matter what fixes you try.

Last night i read post #50 where someone said they had the same exact issue. I called Verizon this AM and they are sending me a brand new one overnight so Ill have it tomorrow. I really did not want to have to do this because setting my whole phone back up is such as pain in the ***.

Luckily i was in the 14 day grace period, actually day 13 yesterday. So save yourself the headache and wasted hours, just have them swap it out for a new one. Only negative is to do this they want a credit card to charge the full amount of the phone to, once they get your old phone back they credit you back. Kind of a pain but i guess thats how they make sure people send the defective phones back. Anyways, i will update everyone after i get the replacement tomorrow.

I think the straw that broke the camels back was being at the mall yesterday afternoon, i kept getting network error when i tried to refresh Facebook. My wife who has a ghetto beat up iPhone 4 with Verizon was having no data problems at all and she was laughing at me.

Hope this helps anyone having the same issue!

Tommy :cool:

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Just a update!

I got a brand new replacement phone from Verizon, set it up and have not had a single problem since! So it was a defective phone! Hopefully this thread will save someone else hours of troubleshooting and headache!

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I had and have an issue with data and dropped calls. The phone tech support 2 times told me its a common and known issue with the maker of the phone. The Corp. store where I bought it said they never saw or heard of any issues with the phone and I was the first to return one there which I am well aware is not the case. They gave me a new one and a new sim and still issues are there and although I am near a major city, they blamed my apartment where my rezound never dropped a call or lost data. The update to it on the 29th caused problems or I would still be using it now. My problem is I dont know what other phone I can really count on with them since they deny even known problems. I was thinking the raz mxx hd or even stepping down to the incredible 4g. I stand by my dislike of apple and refuse to try that route but the next one I get is the last switch out I can make so I need it to be one with maybe less bells and whistles like the s4 has. Running out of days. BTW it may be me but how many lines are on the setting button on the bottom left of the phone? It looks like mine was cropped or something along it and now it seems harder to even get to. I will look to see how to get a screen shot and show you.

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what to tell ya, this thread relates to the new Samsung Galaxy S4 with Verizon, no experience with the phones your mentioning but good luck.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I had and have an issue with data and dropped calls. The phone tech support 2 times told me its a common and known issue with the maker of the phone. The Corp. store where I bought it said they never saw or heard of any issues with the phone and I was the first to return one there which I am well aware is not the case. They gave me a new one and a new sim and still issues are there and although I am near a major city, they blamed my apartment where my rezound never dropped a call or lost data. The update to it on the 29th caused problems or I would still be using it now. My problem is I dont know what other phone I can really count on with them since they deny even known problems. I was thinking the raz mxx hd or even stepping down to the incredible 4g. I stand by my dislike of apple and refuse to try that route but the next one I get is the last switch out I can make so I need it to be one with maybe less bells and whistles like the s4 has. Running out of days. BTW it may be me but how many lines are on the setting button on the bottom left of the phone? It looks like mine was cropped or something along it and now it seems harder to even get to. I will look to see how to get a screen shot and show you.

Sounds like a phone issue. I will admit though that the signal is a tad less then my old rezound but nothing major