Galaxy S4 Issues

mannyvigi1985

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying long time Samsung fan (S2, S3, NOTE 2 NOW S4) I want to share a few issues that I am running into and I like to get some comments or suggestions. I have verizon as my provider.

1. Some time it lags or slows down?
2. Battery only last 5 hours with moderate use no video just pandora or Iheart. I have power saver on and screen brightness to save energy.
3. Any suggestions on a good speed dial widget?
4. Some apps crash (NBC 5 News, ABC News, and a few others) they don't crash all the time.

Thanks in advance

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying long time Samsung fan (S2, S3, NOTE 2 NOW S4) I want to share a few issues that I am running into and I like to get some comments or suggestions. I have verizon as my provider.

1. Some time it lags or slows down?
2. Battery only last 5 hours with moderate use no video just pandora or Iheart. I have power saver on and screen brightness to save energy.
3. Any suggestions on a good speed dial widget?
4. Some apps crash (NBC 5 News, ABC News, and a few others) they don't crash all the time.

Thanks in advance

Regarding your first 2 questions: It's hard to get a handle on what your performance *should* be, because we don't know how you are using it or apps you have but...

- Turn off "power saver". I really wish Samsung would re-label this option, because a lot of folks see and it say, "well yes, I would like to save power, thank you very much!", but in my opinion, it doesn't really save *that* much power, and really only cripples the device a bit and throttles the CPU (which honestly could be why you notice "lag and slows down"). I don't advise using it unless you have a specific reason to turn it on.

- Turn off "auto-brightness" if you have it turned on. This is not a power saving feature. To get the best battery savings, simply manually set the brightness at the lowest level that looks decent to you.

Sorry I don't have much to contribute to your other questions.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
1. I have yet to experience this when a lot of others complain about it too. And no, im not "used to it" from my previous phone, i had a gnex and it was the greatest thing ever, project butter was super smooth, the phone was 2 yrs old and its age just started to show. so no lag for me. im using nova launcher which can be customizd to make the phone seem a lot faster. Also, if you have power saver on, like the previous poster said, uncheck the "cpu limit" box

2. I use youtube few times a day, play some games here and there, play music most of the time through google play music, browse the internet a lot and the battery lasts 15-20hrs depending how much i do what i just mentioned. did you condition the battery when you first got it?

3. No, sorry

4. Could be the phone is still new so the apps arent fully compatiable yet??

Chris6574

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an S4 and too am having similar issues. I think it has something to do with Touchwiz. Trying to type a message or move to another screen, it really lags bad. I've tried typing a word and its as if I'm holding down the first letter and the symbol behind it shows up. Or I press the back butting and it deletes my entire message. I've tried resetting my phone and not installing any apps and it still does it. It simply is a Samsung issue. They are aware of it. Do not know what or when a fix is coming. I work for a wireless carrier and I deal with customers everyday with the same problems. All we can do is deal with it and wait.

Chris6574

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I actually just discovered a fix for the lag issue... Go to settings, more, about phone, tap on build number a few times until you see a pop up window telling you that you are now a developer. Go back to the more section of settings, there should now be a developer options, tap that, and change window animation scale, transition animation scale and Animator duration scale. I changed all mine from 1x to 0.5x and that has seemed to fix the issue