How do I stop Auto Update?

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Good morning all,
My VZW GS4 wants to do the new update. On the popup screen the only option it gives me is to install now or install later & I have to enter a time for the reminder to pop up again.
I don't want to do this update just yet. Is there any way I can stop this from popping up without doing the update? Is there any way I can turn automatic updates off completely?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, the only way to stop it from showing up is to root. I haven't seen a system update popup in years because I root my phones.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they know a way to do that without rooting.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Good morning all,
My VZW GS4 wants to do the new update. On the popup screen the only option it gives me is to install now or install later & I have to enter a time for the reminder to pop up again.
I don't want to do this update just yet. Is there any way I can stop this from popping up without doing the update? Is there any way I can turn automatic updates off completely?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
There is no way to avoid the update altogether. All you can do is delay it till a more convenient time. I'm not sure how far into the future that delay menu will let you go. Even if you can only go 12 hours, it won't be pestering you all that often. And you can use the delay menu more than once. I delayed mine several times over a period of hours, and I seem to recall that eventually all I had was a notice in the Notifications, which I could tap on to do the install.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing start a few days ago. It was extremely annoying, popping up nearly every time I turned the phone on. I feared if I set a future time, it would just start installing it at that time and not even ask. I searched the Internet for a way to disable that and couldn't. They need a way to disable this.

I did finally just go ahead and apply the update to get rid of this, despite my fears after reading some of the various reported problems here. Fortunately I had not a single problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87