Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4: Screen completely locked - non-functional - during calls

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
If (a) I have selected "Turn off screen during calls", (b) my screen is also locked when a phone call comes in, and (c) I answer the call: the screen remains locked (and blank) throughout the call. There is no way to unlock the screen to perform any other functions, or even view caller data, or EVEN HUNG UP! Hitting the home button doesn't do anything, nor do the volume buttons. The power button only does anything if it is set to end the call. I have to wait until the caller on the other end of the phone hangs up on me before I can do anything.
There's got to be a fix to this. Perhaps there's something wrong with the proximity sensor, but I can't find any way to diagnose that on the Verizon Galaxy S4.

gallen14720

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The quick solution that worked for me, which I read somewhere else, is to use compressed air to blow out the proximity sensor. I had the same symptoms as you on my galaxy s4 so I took my can of compressed air, blew out the sensor (right above the Samsung logo) and my problem was solved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I too can now confirm that it was a hardware issue. I went and bought a cannister of compressed gas, blew it in the grill above the Samsung logo, and also in the earphone jack. Issues resolved. My phone is only two weeks old, and hasn't been mishandled, so I was surprised that it was actually clogged.

mspmatt

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
LMAO...this totally worked!!!
Thank you very much...a few quick blasts of compressed air and the screen came back to life during a call.