Lost most of my Apps!!

Corbin Ross

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I woke up the other morning to find that most of my apps have a silhouette version of their icon where they used to be and when I touch one it says that the app isn't installed. The silhouette does have a small SD icon on the bottom right corner of the app icon because all of the apps I lost were kept on my SD card.... So, I'm guessing that something happened to my SD card and it's toast.

What I'd really like to know is if I can get my apps and their data back if I buy a new SD card, or just simply put everything back on my phone's memory. The phone somehow remembers that I had the app, but just can't find it. I've searched for information on restoring from a recent backup but can't figure out how to do it. My Verizon app says the phone was backed up just a few days ago, so how to I restore from that back up?

I have also been able to load apps that I bought for my tablet onto my phone for free, and seen some apps show up on my phone that I've downloaded on my tablet automatically... Can I get them back from Google + or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you able to access anything else on the SD card, like photos, music, etc.? The problem with moving an app to SD is that if the SD either becomes corrupt or becomes unmounted incorrectly, then those apps can become "broken."

Go to Settings>Storage, and look for the external SD card--does it register as being inserted? If not, try removing the SD card and reinserting it. If it still doesn't mount, then remove the SD card and insert it into your computer--can the computer read it? If so, back up everything immediately. Then run chkdsk to see if the card has become corrupt. http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

Corbin Ross

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really sure to back everything up. Unfortunately all of my apps were on my SD card and my SD card is ruined. Neither my phone nor my computer can read it, so I'm assuming it's toast. The backup assistant says it is working on my phone, even recently I had a notification saying that everything was backed up successfully. Where do I go to restore from a backup? I've even tried to use a backup app but it says it can't backup my apps because my phone isn't rooted. I have no idea what that means...

Thanks again!