Verizon Double Data and Samsung Galaxy S III

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a 4G LTE phone with "double-data" (4GB for $30) at Best Buy, after being assured by both the Best Buy Employees AND Verizon CS that I could keep the "double-data" if I exchanged the phone for another, as long as it was 4G LTE capable as well. I chose Best Buy instead of Verizon due to their 30-day return vs Verizon's 14-day.

Now I am seeing hints that although pre-orders are already starting, the Galaxy S III might not be released on Verizon until next month. I'm guessing this is to make absolutely certain that nobody gets "double-data" AND the Galaxy S III, especially since they discontinued the "double-data" program today and don't start pre-orders until tomorrow.

My question is, can I pre-order the Galaxy S III AND exchange the phone I just bought if the GSIII doesn't actually release until after my 30-day window? Can Best Buy still make the exchange after that, since I will have pre-ordered during my exchange period? If they absolutely can't, then I'll have to cancel my contract and return the phone before 14 days or else I won't be able to exchange the phone at all, AND I'll be locked into a contract.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You have to be exchanging it for an actual product. Plus its a preorder through Verizon and you're going through Best Buy, it won't work.

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
If you had the premier silver reward zone card the return window is 45 days. I going to get rid of this one x and get the s3 when it comes out on att :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I plan on pre-ordering through best buy as well. Can they make allowances for the overlap? I know they CAN but will it affect the contract?

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Go with the nexus. Most amazing phone I've ever owned. Plus it has the new software in it. Breath taking. Initially after purchasing you wouldn't even need to root or anything for performance upgrades, the phones just that amazing. But after getting bored I decided to unlock the boot loader and root. And must I say I don't think any other phone can compete with the nexus. Utterly stunning performance. Speed. Durability (dropped it twice) decent battery life. And ICS s effing sick. After rooting tho the phone was just perfect in every way imaginable.

My gf owns the s2 skyrocket. Its a good phone being its also made by Samsung. But its still running older android software and still has soft keys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running LiquidSmooth 1.4 via Tapatalk.

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Any other suggestions pertaining to the topic? What happens if you cancel within 14 days, but your number is already ported? How can I keep my number?

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been planning on switching to Verizon... until I just went to Preorder the S3 and realized that the double data has ended, so then hit the cancel button... I guess I won't be switching to Verizon anytime soon unless they bring back double data. That's just great Verizon decided to cancel their double data on the day my current contract ended... Thanks for nothing Verizon!!

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been planning on switching to Verizon... until I just went to Preorder the S3 and realized that the double data has ended, so then hit the cancel button... I guess I won't be switching to Verizon anytime soon unless they bring back double data. That's just great Verizon decided to cancel their double data on the day my current contract ended... Thanks for nothing Verizon!!

Sorry about your luck... I DID, however, get in before the DD ended.

For those who might have been wondering, I was successful in my quest, with a few caveats. I bought a temp LTE phone at best buy on the 5th, locking down the double data. Then I ordered a cheap defective, but working, LTE phone on eBay. When it comes in, I'll return the original phone to BB and cancel the contract, and have them put the new ebay phone on my line. With my upgrade freed, I'll preorder the SGSIII. Once it arrives, I'll activate it on my line. As the line will have always had LTE devices, I'll retain double data, and the SGSIII for 2 years with no need for special concessions or favors, and all while following existing rules and policies.

And...if I have any trouble, I'll cancel the SGSIII contract within its grace period and zip back to unlimited data with a new EVO 4G LTE on Sprint.

Cheers

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that there was a 4GB plus hotspot plan for $50 when preordering the GalaxySIII, I didn't want it however, since I have Unlimited still....but I wonder if you add that, then ask to remove the hotspot feature later or when you get the phone, if they would transfer it to a 4GB plan?....Any volunteers?

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that there was a 4GB plus hotspot plan for $50 when preordering the GalaxySIII, I didn't want it however, since I have Unlimited still....but I wonder if you add that, then ask to remove the hotspot feature later or when you get the phone, if they would transfer it to a 4GB plan?....Any volunteers?

Might be worth a shot if you aren't already unlimited or rocking the double data, but unless thats listed as a double data plan, you'd have to get a really nice rep. we ordered a phone for my wife the last day of DD at BB. when it came in, i noticed it didnt have the double data we were promised. i called in to add it and the only reason the verizon rep allowed it was because the order was placed on the fifth. he thought it said the 6th at first and tried to refuse.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

It was a promotion that had been running since January.

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
It was a promotion that had been running since January.

And it conveniently ended the day before preorders for the biggest phone launch of the year. I'm not saying they owe anybody anything, but they definitely planned this so as to prevent people already coming for the SGSIII from getting double data without the method I used. Seems kinda iffy.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And it conveniently ended the day before preorders for the biggest phone launch of the year. I'm not saying they owe anybody anything, but they definitely planned this so as to prevent people already coming for the SGSIII from getting double data without the method I used. Seems kinda iffy.

Yeah. Definitely. Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
After more than a little hassle, I returned the samsung stratosphere I purchased last week, and swapped to a used samsung droid charge I bought on ebay. what took the longest was convincing the best buy chick that the SGSIII was available for preorder from Verizon (she insisted at&t and sprint were the only ones they were offering so far). After much prodding, I placed my preorder for the pebble blue 32 gb SGSIII, my double data intact.

Now we play the waiting game. Anybody interested in a "quick" game of monopoly ?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty