Question Regarding 4G

Haluser5

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For the past three days guys have been installing two dish-like antennas on the Verizon tower next to my property. Is this 4G installation or something else? One is smaller than the other and they are on opposite sides. I know there is 4G about seven miles west of me and that is the direction the small dish is pointing to.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From images I've seen, the 4G antennas on towers look similar to the older styles, not dish shaped. It could be communication dishes of some sort, like microwave, but those are typically straight line of sight and not something a phone would communicate with. Kinda like a satellite t.v. dish, where you have to aim it just right to get a signal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is a microwave backhaul (high bandwidth over long distances), but as pointed above, requires line of sight.

I am assuming that it is a taller tower, typically microwave backhauls aren't installed on short towers.

Although it isn't 4GLTE, if it is a Verizon tower, there is a good chance that they will add lte antennas soon. Lte antennas are larger rectangular shaped(skinnier ones are 1x voice) , but could be confused with 3g antennas as they look similar. Still, I doubt that Verizon would expand 3g at this time, so if you see them start putting up rectangular panels, then most likely lte

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The LTE antennas are narrow and tall like pictured here on this COW (cell on wheels) which also has the microwave dish to connect it to the nearest backhaul system.

driver-580x452.png

Haluser5

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes I already have 3g here. I noticed like three months ago a group of people were digging up the ground behind the tower to the street. Then last week they installed the microwave dishes.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes I already have 3g here. I noticed like three months ago a group of people were digging up the ground behind the tower to the street. Then last week they installed the microwave dishes.

Posted via Android Central App

Maybe they were running another conduit for additional power for the tower. They could also have been pulling in

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419