Verizon: 3G or LTE ?

Kurt D

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I am currently on an unlimited data plan with Verizon. My current device (Blackberry 9930) is 3G. If I decide to pay full retail price for a new Verizon 4G android phone will the new phone assume a LTE connection on my grandfathered line? Or will the new device remain at 3G as my currnet phone is?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: 3G or LTE ?

You will still have unlimited data and, since your new phone is compatible with 4G and 3G, you will have unlimited 4G and 3G access, depending on where you happen to be when you are connected to the VZW network.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

If you get a new SIM card, lte is in ur future! Pay full retail, buy used from someone or get on the installment payment plan. U put down x amount and pay the balance in 11months. Equal payment each month.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I am currently on an unlimited data plan with Verizon. My current device (Blackberry 9930) is 3G. If I decide to pay full retail price for a new Verizon 4G android phone will the new phone assume a LTE connection on my grandfathered line? Or will the new device remain at 3G as my current phone is
Your 4G android will be using 4G if available. I just did that exact scenario, only my BB was a 9850. It was painful to give up my BB, but with BB10 dropping the features I used BB for (push e-mail from their server even for e-mail providers which don't support push, data compression, extremely customizable sound/vibrate profiles), the breadth of applications available on Android was just too much. And I am talking practical applications, like telematics to my car, not cute little games.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

The Problem.. Because my parents just went through this 2 weeks ago... They both had older 3G Phones and the unlimited data plan.... They were not allowed to order new 4G LTE SIMS, nor ACTIVATE ANY NEW PHONES on there lines... Whether they bought them from verizon or not... Until they switched to new DATA PLANS... So call VZW First... before you blow your cash!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Problem.. Because my parents just went through this 2 weeks ago... They both had older 3G Phones and the unlimited data plan.... They were not allowed to order new 4G LTE SIMS, nor ACTIVATE ANY NEW PHONES on there lines... Whether they bought them from verizon or not... Until they switched to new DATA PLANS... So call VZW First... before you blow your cash!

This is not Verizon's official policy. You can move from 3g to 4GLTE and keep unlimited data so long as you didn't get a subsidized phone. Did you try to call order in? Or order online via the iconic portal?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

This is not Verizon's official policy. You can move from 3g to 4GLTE and keep unlimited data so long as you didn't get a subsidized phone.
+1 I walked into a Verizon corporate store and said that I wanted the Droid Maxx at full retail, so I could keep my unlimited data. The representative didn't even blink. He tried to set me up with the special 6MB data plan, but when I reiterated that I just wanted unlimited data at full retail, it was set up with no further questions. My previous phone was a 3G Blackberry.

Kurt D

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I appreciate all the input you folks have given me. It looks like when the time comes I will just pay full retail for a new android phone, and keep my current plan. I really do like my current phone 9930, and will not switch to a newer BB because of loss of BB services and lack of apps available. This site is invaluable for getting straight to an answer. Cheers to all!

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

They Tried Everything... I don't contest that my parents where asking for the wrong things.... You know parents and trying to become "Hip" But i am almost positive they tried everything....

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

It looks like when the time comes I will just pay full retail for a new android phone, and keep my current plan. I really do like my current phone 9930, and will not switch to a newer BB because of loss of BB services and lack of apps available.
This is exactly the same situation I found myself in. Even though the new Blackberries can run Android apps, since legacy Blackberry features are no longer supported (such as a centralized e-mail service to provide push to the phone even from e-mail providers that don't provide push, and extremely flexible sound/vibrate profiles), I figured I might as well just get a real Android.

binaryhermit

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

You will technically need to switch data plans, however, an unlimited 4G LTE plan should be available for you for the same price.

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

If you get a new SIM card, lte is in ur future! Pay full retail, buy used from someone or get on the installment payment plan. U put down x amount and pay the balance in 11months. Equal payment each month.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

Do they still allow the payment plan? I heard many don't allow it with the new payment plan which would forfeit unlimited.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do they still allow the payment plan? I heard many don't allow it with the new payment plan which would forfeit unlimited.

If you want unlimited data you have to pay full price for the phone. Period.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you want unlimited data you have to pay full price for the phone. Period.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Yes, however you can finance the phone through best buy for 18 mo 0 interest.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez